Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:42 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,318,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
We had some pretty severe round of layoffs at my company about 6 months ago.
And on LinkedIn I see those former employees are still maintaining their status like they are still employed here. But actually they are unemployed.

I understand, maintaining employed status in LinkedIn profile is better in terms of marketability and future job search. But when it comes to an actual job interview, could it be a problem? If you are already laid off, will you keep saying in your resume that you are still working at your previous company?
People often don't update their Linkedin until they have another job. No cause for concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,318,272 times
Quote:
I am not blaming at all.

I am just thinking what's the best strategy when my turn comes and I get laid off too...

I don't know what do they put in their resumes after layoffs. If I was laid off several months ago, how bad it looks for a prospective employer? I am in a tech field and several months of unemployment might be considered negatively.
You don't update it until you have a new job. Otherwise, what are you going to put there?

John Doe

Unemployed Slob, looking for a job, do you have one? Please, pretty please give me a job!!!
2016 - Present

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer at Some Restaurant
2015- 2016

Old 08-23-2016, 03:37 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You don't update it until you have a new job. Otherwise, what are you going to put there?
Well, recent article on LinkedIn says that the most common status is 'Looking for new opportunities'.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Linkedin profile is not a resume and neither is it a legal document and you can have whatever you want on your profile. What matters is actual is what is on the resume / application that you submitted to the company for the job. In my experience, all the jobs that i ever applied for had something at the end requiring to sign that you are telling the truth and nothing but. That is what will come back to bite you if its incorrect or a lie.
^^This. LinkedIn is a social media website. It's not a legal document or agreement.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 AM

276 posts, read 433,532 times
Quote:
Well, recent article on LinkedIn says that the most common status is 'Looking for new opportunities'.
Agreed. Or you create an LLC and become a consultant. That is another common tactic for the laid off. If I were using LinkedIn to apply for jobs - which I have done with positive results - I would make sure my status was at least current.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,988,006 times
The best thing is look for a job now, before you get laid off.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,422,586 times
Quote:

So? That's what a lot of people say even when they are employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment