Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,169 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong if you can get away with living in your parents basement. There are plenty of people who have to sit in bumper to bumper traffic for a two hour commute who would love to trade places with you.,

Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,823 times
You may have accepted that but I didn't. I'm going to keep fighting.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
1. Are you registered to vote? If not, register, because you'll want to vote for Donald Trump in order to save your future. Trump is going to stop immigrants from getting into the country and taking a job you could have had. Legalities aside, it seems many immigrants come here with no more than the clothes on their backs, they'll take any crappy job, and somehow eke out a living and possibly do well.
HA if an immigrant can come here with nothing except clothes on their back, and manage to make a living and do well, what does that say about the "natives" who have an education, know the language and culture, understand the rules and laws, have a support network of family and friends? If the native can't do as well as the immigrant who only has their work ethic and desire to make a living, then yes I will support hiring the immigrant. I can see which one of them will actually work and can be trusted to show up on time each day they are scheduled to work.

If someone thinks a $8-10/hr job is beneath them then a $10-15 or $20-35 or $50-100/hr job is also below them. Everyone who looks at CEOs and think they all started out at the high level are delusional. Most people who start a business put in enough hours to the point where they are paid less than minimum wage, but they keep doing it because they have a goal. The simple example is doctors and their education/hours and residency/hours. If someone with an average rate or $25/hr worked the same number of hours right out of undergrad and invested all of it, they would be as rich as the average doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
The current times we are living in are sucking the very life out of us all. There aren't any good jobs being created these days for anything. Look it doesn't matter because I'm not asking how to get out of it. I can't and have given up. I'm just trying to figure out how to best survive for the rest of my time on this rock.
And what "time" didn't suck the life out of people? That's the entire thing about life, people "die". And no good jobs are created? Says who? The only reason you "consider" jobs to be better is because you glorify working in a sweat shop/manufacturing where you worked 30 years doing the same thing day in and day out. I bet if you went back in time and asked them, they would say it was not a good job and thus they pushed their kids to get an education so they didn't have to follow in their footsteps. People can only claim "good" with hindsight, how can you say "today's" jobs aren't "good" without being 40 years into the future to judge?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
Quote:
The current times we are living in are sucking the very life out of us all. There aren't any good jobs being created these days for anything. Look it doesn't matter because I'm not asking how to get out of it. I can't and have given up. I'm just trying to figure out how to best survive for the rest of my time on this rock.

If you're waiting for someone else to "create" something just for you then hand it to you on a platter, it is likely that life will continue to disappoint you.

This is what happens when people buy into the world promised by the "everyone gets a trophy" culture.

Very, very few people in the history of the world have ever had a good job or a happy life handed to them. Everyone else who managed to experience the quality of life they wanted set some goals, figured out how to reach them, then (here's the hard part) got off their butts and made the effort required to make it happen. If their plans got derailed or obstacles arose, they figured out how to overcome them and (here's the hard part again) got off their butts and made the effort necessary to make it happen.

Put down the phone, tablet, video-game controller, whatever, and do something constructive.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
Quote:
At this point aren't we all just victims?
Nope.

Quote:
How in the Hell can anyone get ahead anymore?
By finding and filling a need. Do something other people want done for them and who are willing to pay you to do it.

Quote:
The government and corporations that are run by their central banking bastard masters have and are doing everything they can to destroy our lives.
First, the government is controlled by Union Bosses of public sector employee unions. Second, they are not doing anything to destroy your life.

Quote:
I just don't see a reason to get up in the morning anymore.

Well, first read the list of all the obligations the rest of us have to you:

Next, if you don't want to add value to society through work, well, I think you should listen to the lyrics of the long-running hit TV show M.A.S.H, a comedy about army surgeons during the Korean War:

https://youtu.be/gUHQpbv3KjI

Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,530,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Next, if you don't want to add value to society through work, well, I think you should listen to the lyrics of the long-running hit TV show M.A.S.H, a comedy about army surgeons during the Korean War:
I liked your post, especially the picture, but you could have dropped the last sentence. I think this may be a troll, but in case it's not, let's not treat someone's life so carelessly.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,402,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
[snip] Our generation is screwed. Most of the new jobs don't pay jack here. I'm lucky that I had good parents because if you don't have good parents you are seriously in trouble in this country(land of opportunity my ass!). All we can really hope for is to inherit something from our rich baby boomer parents.
I don't think I've read a sadder post in all my years on City Data than yours, johnsmith. Hoping your parents die so you get their money is beyond comprehension.

If your post was a creative writing project, you win my saddest post prize. If your post was sincere, I hope your parents leave their money to a local charity.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-21-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM

757 posts, read 839,518 times
Troll or not, I think the OP raises the specter of hopelessness among the younger generations. Everyone thought the employment system would continue along unchanged by any outside influences. As usual, we were collectively wrong. Expectations and reality did not match. Post WW II was a wholly different set of circumstances with returning vets and the GI Bill to give opportunities for college educations to many who would have been unable to go to college. The US economy was exploding. Labor unions meant something. Industry expanded more especially with automobiles and new cracker box houses. All of that and more is gone. Today, a young person can bankrupt themselves for life with student loans. Those ought to be outlawed.

High Schools have done away with vo-tech courses that appeal to young males and keep them interested in staying in school. Our education system is shameful.

The good old days are gone. Likely forever. Trump cannot bring jobs back. There is no incentive for companies to reposition to the US. Companies moved from the union north to the right to work South. But they eventually departed the south for Mexico and other countries. Why would they want to move back? What is the benefit? There is no way Trump can remove rules and regulations that inhibit job growth. It just is not worth the hassle to locate a business here.

The worst part of the good old days was the 30 year retirement concept. That also will never come back. Most pension systems are broken and bankrupt. You are going to see massive defaults in the years ahead. If you are counting on your private pension to last you as is, it isn't.

IF I were young and knowing what I know now, I would go to a good vo-tech school and as someone above mentioned, go into HVAC. Or, some other tech skill such as plumbing if you can find a school or an apprenticeship. Find yourself a mid-sized town in a decent location (research CD-com) and go to work there. Find a business that will hire you and then work like crazy to build your reputation. Learn the trade. Then, at some point, start your own business. Forget 40 hour days and 5 days a week. No. Opt for whatever it takes.

Forget college unless you are going into engineering an even then a specialized field such as prosthetic design and engineering.

Granted, none of this is possible for everyone. Just one scenario. If you are going to live your life working for someone else or something else, you will always be a drone, always vulnerable to the tides and times of events.

Best.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:40 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post

Either that, or the incarceration route. Free rent, free food, and plenty of buddies to make friends with! Pretty sweet deal to be honest.
I can see you have never been to jail .

To the Op we are in our 50's and work our a$$es off and still barely make it even going to food banks and living an EXTREMELY minimalist lifestyle. Husband is going back to school at 52 , he has been an aviation mechanic 30 years and they are paying new people min wage in some places to work on jets people actually fly on . I am licensed to gallop( the person who exercises them on non race days per trainers orders ) racehorses at many tracks in the US and have done so the last 37 years professionally .. I have also done some rather unsavory things as well to turn a buck .

It's very hard out there , but jail is NO place you want to be .

Listen to Bygeorge's post above mine . I agree 100% a trade is the way to go at this point , find one you like , learn it and do it .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 08-21-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM

551 posts, read 583,380 times
When are people going to take personal responsibility?? YOU and you alone have control of your life. You are not entitled to anything. I'm really tired of these whiny posts from people (usually young ones) complaining about how they have four year degrees and no job opportunities. Well they don't fall in your lap.

Learn to hustle and get some grit.

The generation that suffered the Great Depression could tell a few tales of how they survived crippling unemployment, and near starvation. No food stamps for them! No rent assistance or free healthcare! You fought your way tooth and nail out of poverty with little help from the government. If you wanted to eat, get in line. If you wanted to work, you may have had to accept the more undesirable jobs but if it put food on the table and a roof over your head, it was a blessing.

Nowadays of course people think they are entitled to posh jobs with corner offices simply because they went to school. A four year degree is becoming like the new HSD, you can thank your government for that since education has been subsidized. Free education all these millennials demand would only make the problem worse but of course they can't see beyond their own feelings of what THEY think they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment