Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM

305 posts, read 332,959 times

Advertisements

We have no sick days at the large company I work for. You can take as many as needed and still get paid (supposedly they doc your pay if you take to many). My coworker has taken probably about 10 or more "sick" in the year she has been here and she told me she got paid for all of them yet also gets her 2 week vacation. How is they fair to the people that are here everyday? I can understand if her or her kids had chronic health problems but they don't. Most days taken off for colds, foot pain, car problems etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,423,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
We have no sick days at the large company I work for. You can take as many as needed and still get paid (supposedly they doc your pay if you take to many). My coworker has taken probably about 10 or more "sick" in the year she has been here and she told me she got paid for all of them yet also gets her 2 week vacation. How is they fair to the people that are here everyday? I can understand if her or her kids had chronic health problems but they don't. Most days taken off for colds, foot pain, car problems etc....
This has nothing to do with what's "fair."

Ask yourself one question and one question only: Does this coworker's sick leave negatively affect my ability to do my job?

If the answer is "yes," then carefully flag it up to your boss without looking like you're throwing your coworker under the bus. For example if your boss asks you for a progress report on a project and you're blocked because your sick coworker is out again, say so. Carefully and diplomatically.

If the answer is "no," then mind your own business.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 AM

305 posts, read 332,959 times
We have to cover their work when they are gone so yes it does impact us. The "mind your own business" is such a cliche answer. and it's rude also. People don't come on here to vent or for advice to be told that.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 AM

22,759 posts, read 48,015,781 times
Quote:
People don't come on here to vent or for advice to be told that.
Perhaps, but many times they need to hear it.

Quote:
You can take as many as needed and still get paid (supposedly they doc your pay if you take to many). My coworker has taken probably about 10 or more "sick" in the year she has been here and she told me she got paid for all of them yet also gets her 2 week vacation
Since, according to you, the company doc(sic) your pay if you take to(sic) many, and since she got paid for hers..... it makes sense that the company feels she has not taken too many.
That is for them to determine, not you, right?

What does the 2 week vacation have to do with the sick days? Anywhere I worked, vacation time had nothing to do with sick days.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,423,466 times
Quote:
We have to cover their work when they are gone so yes it does impact us. The "mind your own business" is such a cliche answer. and it's rude also. People don't come on here to vent or for advice to be told that.

Fine; complain to your boss about how it isn't fair and see where that gets you.

Your boss shouldn't care about what you think is fair. Your boss's responsibility is to ensure that his/her team is performing up to a minimum standard. As long as work is getting done and your boss's boss is satisfied with your boss's performance, it most likely doesn't matter if someone has attendance issues.

In any case, attendance is not your concern. It's your boss's concern. Make it your boss's problem by informing him/her that your coworker's attendance is negatively affecting your work. Give examples of how your coworker's absence is inhibiting your ability to get your job done. He/she may ask you pointed questions about how/why you can't work around it. Be prepared with clear and concise answers, and definitely don't tell your boss what YOU think he/she should be doing.

Just don't whine about how it isn't fair. Fair is where you go to ride rides. The corporate world isn't fair. Make it work for you as best you can, or don't. Up to you.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:24 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,850,882 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the answer is often "mind your own business". If it bothers you then you should call in sick and take advantage of the policy and see how that works for you. I work with a guy who has been here for 8 years and takes probably 40 sick days per year. Our policy isn't as generous so some of his are unpaid. But people always complain to management but he covers himself with doctors notes. People still speculate about whether he's really sick or getting fake notes or getting doctors to just write notes or whatever but the fact is that management feels like they will get sued if they take any action because he documents his "medical issues"

But at the end of the day, wasting your time worrying about what someone else is doing is time taken away from your job and focusing on what you should be doing in life

Old 08-19-2016, 11:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,302,070 times
You should be thankful for such a generous policy. I have a similar policy where I work and I have never used a sick day. If I were to come down with an illness serious enough to need it I would be comforted knowing that my employer is understanding of the situation.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,283,519 times
Life is not fair. What is an advantage for 1 is also an advantage for you. It's not her fault you never call in sick.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,263 posts, read 4,374,614 times
Quote:
Funny, you sound experienced on this forum. I find it interesting that people like you create so many handles. Tell me, why is that?

Honestly, I know why. For one, you don't want us looking at your past posts. Secondly, you're the type that doesn't want to hear answers that aren't in line with your thinking. You just want someone to commiserate with you and tell you how right you are. Shame that you're not, because the days a coworker takes off is between her and her supervisor. It has nothing to do with you and is absolutely none of your business.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,752,313 times
Ten sick days a year is fewer than one day per month. That's not really a whole, particularly for people who have kids and their daycare/school won't let the kids come in. It's not always the easiest to find childcare last minute and what's a parent supposed to do? They can't leave the kid alone. From what I've seen, that amount of days (about one a month) seems to be pretty typical, if not even more than that if the kids are wee ones. It's much better to have an understanding employer who is going to let the person take off.

It may seem like a pain to you now, but goodness forbid that something happens to you in the future and you get sick. Yeah it's frustrating to have to cover when someone is out, but you'll be happy if something happens to you and they give you the same courtesy. It's not so great when you end up getting fired due to getting sick, believe me. It hasn't happened to me, but I know several people who have lost their jobs because their offices haven't been so generous with the sick days.

I do know others that have gotten to the point where they started to want to fire people, but in those cases the people were on extended leave of months or more without a valid reason. That's a whole lot worse than taking off <1 day a month for standard child/adult infections that you probably don't want spreading around the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment