Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,296,116 times

Advertisements

My coworker in the next cubicle drives me crazy with her space heater. I genuinely like her and we get along well. The problem is her space heater. I'm always hot in the office, and she is always cold. She runs this thing every day whether it is January or July. I get in before her in the morning and I'm generally hot from the start. This summer I have been rolling my sleeves up first thing which helps until she gets in. Once she gets here she fires up that space heater and I can feel my area being warmed up as well. She does wear sweaters, but I wish she would just get a blanket or something!

I feel funny saying anything to her, she's been at the company for 15 years and I'm the new guy on the team only being here a year. Dressing lighter isn't really an option for me. It is an older company with a fairly conservative culture, so long sleeve dress shirts and dress slacks are the norm for men. I envy the women who can wear a short sleeve shirt and skirt! Maybe a kilt would be acceptable?

Also, I'm sure this is probably against the company/building policy, but I've noticed quite a few other women with space heaters. I wouldn't want to be that guy by bringing it up to HR or anything. Do I really have any options other than just sucking it up and sweating every single day? I do casually joke with her about how I'm already hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,330,774 times
I also have a space heater which provides very little heat. I turn it on sporadically throughout the day. Im sorry but they turn the ac on to the point of it being an ice box. I actually go out side several times a day to thaw out so to speak. You can never please eveyone with temperatures. It is beyond me how anyone could be hot when it feels like it's freezing to me but I'm sure they're thinking the same thing of me. You could ask to be moved somewhere else i guess.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,357,987 times
As a boss, I used to hear this complaint all the time.

Women are usually too cold; men are usually too hot.

My theory: That's why women live longer than men. They run cooler and last longer.

Only solution is to move to a different spot.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
As a boss, I used to hear this complaint all the time.

Women are usually too cold; men are usually too hot.

My theory: That's why women live longer than men. They run cooler and last longer.

Only solution is to move to a different spot.

Yes this has been a common theme since I started working. At my last job at a small company there was a thermostat out in the open. That thing was back and forth all the time depending on who walked past it. The women would turn it to 80, and we would crank it down to 67-68. It was a war of escalation. I always said that 70-72 would be a reasonable middle ground. At this job there are no accessible thermostats to the best of my knowledge.

I envy her option of a space heater. If only there were a small desktop air conditioner available...

Old 08-19-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I also have a space heater which provides very little heat. I turn it on sporadically throughout the day. Im sorry but they turn the ac on to the point of it being an ice box. I actually go out side several times a day to thaw out so to speak. You can never please eveyone with temperatures. It is beyond me how anyone could be hot when it feels like it's freezing to me but I'm sure they're thinking the same thing of me. You could ask to be moved somewhere else i guess.
I'd hardly call it an icebox. I have a thermometer on my desk and in the summer it generally ranges form 74-77 degrees in here. I'd assume the 77 happens when the space heater is cooking

I agree with your statement about not understanding how another person feels temperature so much differently. As I said, I am generally hot before she even turns on the heater.

If I could wear a t shirt and shorts to work I'd be okay. As I mentioned dress shirts and slacks are not very comfortable in this warm environment.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 AM

If you are really bothered you could talk to your boss. Maybe he'll ask hr to send a message saying no heaters allowed in the building anymore or you could ask to be moved. Asking the woman to turn the heater off would probably be awkward

Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
If you are really bothered you could talk to your boss. Maybe he'll ask hr to send a message saying no heaters allowed in the building anymore or you could ask to be moved. Asking the woman to turn the heater off would probably be awkward
I wish I could. My boss, also a female, uses a space heater at her desk as well, though not with the same frequency. They have also worked together for a very long time and a friends. I have no problem with this, I like my boss and coworker on a personal level. That is also why it is a problem, I don't want to ruffle feathers.

Really there is probably no good solution to this. I think my thread is probably more venting than anything else. I will just have to continue sweating it out!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 AM

Ugh ok. I still dont see an issue with asking to be moved...but im not in yout shoes.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Ugh ok. I still dont see an issue with asking to be moved...but im not in yout shoes.
There really isn't anywhere to move unfortunately. My group's designated floor space (8 cubes) is at capacity and I don't know that anyone else would be keen to switch.

We are probably transitioning to an open office layout in the next year or so maybe things will cool off then...

Old 08-19-2016, 07:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I wish I could. My boss, also a female, uses a space heater at her desk as well, though not with the same frequency. They have also worked together for a very long time and a friends. I have no problem with this, I like my boss and coworker on a personal level. That is also why it is a problem, I don't want to ruffle feathers.

Really there is probably no good solution to this. I think my thread is probably more venting than anything else. I will just have to continue sweating it out!
See if you can move desks or swap with someone else who doesn't mind sitting next to a space heater.

I'm surprised they even allow space heaters in the building. Most companies expressly prohibit them these days because they see them as a fire hazard. I haven't seen one at work since the late 90s.

I'm always freezing too (female, duh) but I have a heating pad at my desk. It's not ideal though because having a heating pad on you all the time is very bad for your skin. I have semi-permanent marks on me where the heating pad rests on me and I do shift it around throughout the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment