Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,140,508 times

Advertisements

In a thread I was reading, there was talk of physical violence at work. In another forum I post on, people are always claiming "there was about to be a fight". Yet, I don't think there would have been. My question is has there every been physical violence in your workplace? I don't count outside of the actual building.

For me, yes. Twice. Once, I decided camp counselor would be a good job. They put me with the teenage group. One boy started acting a fool and it escalated into breaking supplies and him threatening to fight other campers. I got up to him and he throw this stuff we had on a HUGE roll for paper mache in my face. I got a broken nose and he was arrested.

Two, I worked in a huge building as secretary. This ghetto woman started working there and always causing trouble. Welp, one day her man came with all of their kids and started making trouble. I called security. He beat up security and found her and curb stomped her face. The best is she tried suing the company and me, personally, for letting him in. In case you're wondering how I didn't get hurt, when I saw his weird behavior and called security, I used the security's name and said "Ok, yeah, John is coming to take you there". Little did he know John was security and there meant out.

Never really coworkers for me, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 03:12 PM

35,285 posts, read 31,652,025 times
I would assume this is common in low wage occupations.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,251,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would assume this is common in low wage occupations.
Not really, I saw an impeccably dressed woman slap the [Mod cut.] out of an equally well-dressed man in the parking lot last month. My mouth just dropped. I mean SLAPPED him HARD.....I have NO idea what the beef was all about and you could see it was everything he could do to keep from grabbing her.....she looked very pleased about her action.

Reality: It was assault. In as much as you can't hit a woman, a woman can't hit you without facing the same legal course. It was a criminal act. Did he "deserve" it? Beats me but, violence is well, violence.

He recovered, muttered something, she yelled something back, and he walked off. Looked like two lawyers from Law and Order.....weird.....man she was fuming....

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-21-2016 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,710,600 times
Even at my crappiest jobs I have never witnessed any violence.. Thankfully. I'm sure it definitely happens though. My husband who worked as a manager in a grocery store had some stories of employees arguing and escalated into mild threats but never violence.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,866,828 times
I've seen plenty of shouting matches but never people punching each other or threatening physical violence, thankfully.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,202,460 times
When I worked in manufacturing, there where 1-3 fights a year with the production workers out on the floor or in the warehouse.

You put a bunch of people in a physically hard to do job that is boring as can be, pay them low wages, let them work in the heat or cold, who are also treated poorly compared to everybody else in the office, and it is only a matter of time once you add in two people who don't get along that things come to blows.

Of course the company had a zero tolerance policy and these guys knew they where going to get fired, but didn't seem to bother them.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:30 PM

7,641 posts, read 5,155,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
When I worked in manufacturing, there where 1-3 fights a year with the production workers out on the floor or in the warehouse.

You put a bunch of people in a physically hard to do job that is boring as can be, pay them low wages, let them work in the heat or cold, who are also treated poorly compared to everybody else in the office, and it is only a matter of time once you add in two people who don't get along that things come to blows.

Of course the company had a zero tolerance policy and these guys knew they where going to get fired, but didn't seem to bother them.
Because its a low wage job no one wants, they will likely be hired back in a few weeks.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,183,688 times
I worked at a mental hospital for a while, and saw patients get aggressive with the nurses.

But I guess that's not really what you were referring to. As for employee on employee violence, absolutely not. I've never even heard anyone raise their voice to anyone.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 12,918,837 times
I was working at a tire manufacturer doing tire machine set up. One of my co-workers (Tom) was getting harassed daily by this union tire builder (we were staff). He called him gay slurs (he wasn't gay) and generally made his life h$ell at work. He did this in front of other people. It went on for a couple of months.

One day Tom came into work with some personal issues (wife said she wanted a divorce). This idiot tire builder starts his crap and Tom went off on him. He ended up having to go to the hospital when Tom was finished. NOBODY tried to break it up; they all felt the tire builder was getting what he asked for.

When Tom was finished he went up to the foremans office and told him what had done and resigned.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,336,323 times
Many years ago in one of my jobs, Secretary A become a bit unhinged due to troubles in her personal life, and when Secretary B critiqued a presentation that Sec A created for her boss, Sec A pushed Sec B against a wall, put her hands around her throat, and threatened her with bodily harm.

Needless to say that was Secretary A's last day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment