Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 51,916 times

Advertisements

I quit my city job back in March due to high stress, cliques, hostility etc. I am wondering if the average person would consider this hostile and what would they do about it. One girl ended up transferring but there were two instances with her. The first was when she called me out and gave me a spiel about how I'm the slowest typist out of everyone and how I make so many mistakes. There was another instance where I accidentally bumped into her and she acted like I tried knocking her over which was complete bs. She was mad bc I didn't apologize and I explained that I didn't want a confrontation so I didn't say anything. Two other women were also a pain. One woman told me she intimated her old boss at her old job. She also made several racist remarks. One was the fact that she thought white men had a better chance in this world and the other was that she said she's only 20% white. I'm by no means racist but she was either extremely ignorant or trying to get me to say something stupid. I told my manager about this as I was close to quitting. Another time I brought cookies in for everyone and had consumed a few before bringing them in. She said nobody wants them after your nasty hands have been on them. She also shadowed my moves and watched for mistakes.

The last girl called me out one time bc I went in and out of work without saying hi or bye almost always and she asked me why and I said I'm not a Walmart greeter. She got mad and said she will remember this. The final straw was when this final girl called me out bc I set her work down next to her by flopping it down. I didn't throw this at her but dropped it from 6-12 inches from the surface. All these instances had me in meetings with supervisors and/or managers. I treated the coworkers I didn't like as if they didn't exist after several months of being there. I got along with them ok enough for the first six months I was there then the last six were awful. I am pretty even keeled but I felt this was just too much. I even tried employee counseling for several weeks but felt it didn't make enough of a difference. The office used to have employees who fistfaught but it seems the remaining trash just had terrible attitudes. I told my boss I was quitting like four times before I actually did. Each time she said do you want to think this over first or do you have anything else lined up. The only mistake I made was not having another job lined up but I knew I had money to get me through to the end of the year or so.

I'll admit I did a good job while there but I was late daily (as were most)and was always the last one to leave at the end and they hated that. I got along with 90% of the coworkers but that 10% were awful. I didn't care at this point so I told my supervisor and manager through email that I've heard the office I was in is the worst in the organization and that I regretted even accepting the position after the things I went through. I told them I was giving two weeks notice but the day after I gave notice, I decided it was time to leave that day so I went and told my boss and I turned in my badge and left. I now feel relieved.

Do you consider this a toxic or hostile work environment?

Last edited by Madden17; 08-16-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Of course that's a toxic/hostile work environment.

Why wouldn't it be?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Sounds like you help contribute to your own problems as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
umm.. please re-read what you posted and let us know your critique of your own actions. In my view, it seems you were acting quite hostile yourself so it's pretty hard to determine what started when and in all honesty, you could have made things much better for yourself by acting more polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment