Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,387,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All this drama for a bowling party?

"No thanks" works. No reason to make an excuse.
Exactly, the OP is doing pretty well at work compared to the other problems people post about in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 3,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All this drama for a bowling party?

"No thanks" works. No reason to make an excuse.
Drama? I was just asking for advice. You didn't have to reply.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieRossa View Post
I mean socializing after work. The company was holding a bowling night and only gave 4 days notice. I had a prior engagement and could not go. Even if I didn't have plans I wouldn't want to go. I have to spend all day with these people and I don't want to spend time with them after work too. I'm not concerned about raises or moving up. I'm as low on the totem pole as it gets and I'm not wanting to change positions. If anything I may look for another job with another company.
I can't. I have to get Johnny from baseball and Suzy from Dance. Maybe next time.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM

238 posts, read 316,179 times
I would politely decline always prefacing with "Thank you for the invitation/offer, but..." or "Thanks for thinking of me, but I cannot go at this time..." It softens the blow and keeps you in good graces to where you're not looked at as antisocial, just super busy by the person inviting you.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,686 times
Think of doing a little bit of it as a non-monetary "career tax". You have to get along to go along. A small amount of it needs to be done. Sorry.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,976,717 times
If it's a company sanctioned event, go. If it is coworkers just going for a drink, then don't go.

You learn things when the whole company is together. People talk. For instance at a company dinner I was sitting with people with whom I do not normally work. They had more knowledge about something that was going on within the company than I did. It was good information to have.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 3,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Think of doing a little bit of it as a non-monetary "career tax". You have to get along to go along. A small amount of it needs to be done. Sorry.
If I have plans with family or friends there is no way I'm going to cancel to hang with colleagues

Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,538,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieRossa View Post
If I have plans with family or friends there is no way I'm going to cancel to hang with colleagues
Well you never have plans to hang out with colleagues, so just always say politely 'no'.

What else do you want to hear on your subject?

Old 08-17-2016, 01:27 PM

6,243 posts, read 3,624,709 times
You can always say you have plans. People understand that. If they keep inviting you after you keep saying you have a prior engagement, it may be that they're just trying to be inclusive and fair, and won't really care that much if you say no.

I do draw a distinction between coworkers hanging out and company-sponsored events though. Like one person said, you can learn a lot at company-sponsored events about what's going on. For better or worse, skipping such things can put you at a disadvantage when it comes time to advance.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,192,290 times
If it is a company sponsored event and you consistently don't go, you will be looked at as someone who isn't a team player.

As long as you are ok with that and any ramifications that might come with it, just say no thanks and don't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment