Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,133,345 times

Advertisements

Yes, when I was younger. I took a job and asked how often they paid. They told me every other Friday. I asked if they held back pay for new employees. They said no. First Friday was pay day. Nothing. I let it go. The third Friday I was there, I was owned three weeks on a pay day and didn't get it when everyone else did. I left on my lunch break and never returned. Funny enough, a month later I got check for everything I was owed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 AM

144 posts, read 115,202 times
Yes, I have not been paid for work. This describes every job that I have had from age 18 until 32 (just recently). The last time that there were some problems with payroll, I just walked away. Turns out that business went under and abandoned all sites and assets. I would suggest that you take action immediately.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
It happened to my husband. He knew they were struggling because sometimes paychecks would bounce, and there was a mad race to the bank to be the first one to cash it so that you wouldn't be the one whose paycheck bounced. Then they laid off everyone except one office person, my husband and one other person, and the paychecks were fine for several months. Then they gave an IOU instead of a paycheck, and asked if my husband would be willing to work as an unpaid volunteer. He told them he couldn't do that because he had to provide for his children so he had to have an income, and for his specific job, state licensing requirements stated that it had to be a paid job, not something that could be done on a volunteer basis (which was true, he printed out the relevant section of the state code). He asked them to lay him off so he could collect unemployment while he looked for another job, and they did.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Reason #238 of why I don't work for small companies.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,966 times
I had it happen I think 3 weeks was the longest plus a few bounced checks. I left later that year but amazingly 15 years later they are still in business.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:07 PM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
Something similar happened to me years ago. I was working for an individual who had me work two weeks but never paid me. I got a small claims judgment but was never able to collect.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,779,115 times
Yes. I worked for a woman who was ripping off the federal government - she had applied for, and somehow received, a federal grant to run a Native American art store.

She was not Native American but claimed to be. I don't know how she managed to fool the government. I actually AM part Native American but not eligible for anything due to the fact that my ancestors escaped the Trail of Tears (we believe they were not Cherokee, but Seminole) and got away to Canada, where they were passing as "French Canadian". Converted to Catholicism and took French names because that was the part of Canada they ended up in. Ultimately - not on the Dawes rolls.

Anyway. She used to write me checks that bounced. The last time that happened, I took the check to the bank where they refused to cash it - so I went back to the store and took my pay out of the cash drawer and left the check, with a big VOID scribbled across it, in the register.

She wasn't paying the artists either. Altogether an unpleasant situation, once I figured out what was going on.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,293,370 times
I don't think calling someone stupid is called for here.

Anyway, it is not unimaginable that a young or otherwise inexperienced person would not know their rights or assert them at times. It is called learning.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,465,393 times
There is NEVER an acceptable excuse for an employer not making payroll on-time. I was an accountant before I moved to the insurance industry in 2008. When I was offered one of my first jobs after college, the gentleman who owned the company told me there was only one thing that would get me fired instantly...and that was if any employee's payroll check bounced! I've remembered that bit of wisdom throughout my career and it has guided my decisions in several situations.

One company where I worked routinely scrambled to collect enough money for payroll twice per month. It was an advertising company and I would call customers and offer a 'pre-pay' discount if they wanted to pay for future ads immediately. It was annoying and embarrassing. But for almost three years, I made sure that everyone except for the owner and his right hand woman (or Satan's crafty minion, as I called her) got their paycheck on time. There were two times that I held off on cashing my check for a few days, mainly to avoid creating additional headaches for myself.

But after two months, you have little choice but to demand immediate payment of back-wages, file a complaint with the appropriate state entity (DOL) and start looking for a new job! It is absurd, not to mention unethical and (IMO) immoral, to expect employees to continue working without pay for two months!

Take action and find a new job now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,694,212 times
Not a good situation and would do all I can to get out of that job. I never had the issue, but know someone who did. He would cash his paycheck and it would almost always bounce! Then had to wait longer to get the money he's owed but the fees he incurred from the company. Even if they eventually pay, you are entitled to it on the date your paycheck was supposed to be given. Plus, who knows the time when they finally won't give anymore pay! Get what your owed and leave.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment