Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 15,515 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions. I just felt like ranting. I think I should give this company one more year. DorianRio is right, if I move again I will get better pay and better position. Here in Texas it's an employees market in the construction industry right now.

But after some thought I think I will wait out a year and put myself out there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,191,908 times
The employers have set it up so the only way to make more money, climb the ladder quickly etc.... is to job hop so have at it.

If the employers wanted their employees to stick around for the long term, they would treat them different.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,196,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The only way to make more money, and obtain promotions these days is to job hop. That is the reality of things.
This is the truth, for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know anything about construction management, but I don't think, if the OP leaves this job, it looks good to have four jobs in four years on your resume. Particularly if you are in your 30's.
Older generations have always told me that, but never once has it come up in a job interview. Not once. This is the norm these days, for better or for worse IDK. Personally, I'd prefer to have more longevity, upward mobility, and stability at a company. But it just doesn't seem to exist.

People just don't stay at jobs for 10+ years anymore (typically). It's pretty "normal" these days to be at a place 2-3 years before moving on to the next endeavor. FWIW, I'm on my 5th job since graduating from college eight years ago. A lot of my career movement was for promotion or lack of stability at the employer (i.e. hostile takeovers, high attrition rates, etc.) This is what it takes, unfortunately, to get ahead financially. If I hadn't left my first job out of college, I'd probably be making around $45k/yr as opposed to pushing $70k with great benefits.

You have to look out for numero uno. When you die, nobody is going to be like, "Wow, Jimmy was such a great individual because he stayed at Company X for 35 years!" You get this one shot at life, you may as well capitalize on it when and where you can. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by SQL; 07-19-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He is thinking of another job simply just to move on (most likely due to boredom).
Why would anyone stay at a job that they're not being challenged? If you want to move up in your career, you do it by taking on new projects, not by remaining stagnant. Didn't we just have this discussion on some other threads regarding older workers not keeping up with skills?

If OP's employer can't challenge him, and allow him to develop new, practical skills to better position him/her for career upward mobility, then it makes perfect sense for OP to look elsewhere.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,598,821 times
I agree, 10 years is too long, but in my opinion the first 3 months in a job is just learning that employer's practices, getting to know key players.

All things being equal 2 years minimum and even then be able to describe what YOU ACCOMPLISHED during that tenure.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Construction Management is a great field. A shirt-tail relative works for a construction firm as a Construction Manager and was offered a position with Google. He turned it down!

Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post

Older generations have always told me that, but never once has it come up in a job interview. Not once. This is the norm these days, for better or for worse IDK. Personally, I'd prefer to have more longevity, upward mobility, and stability at a company. But it just doesn't seem to exist.
Lots of older people don't get it. They are so stuck in their ways they don't have a clue about what is going on today with big business and how they operate.

I have a friend who has worked probably 4-5 jobs in say the last 8 years or so and each an every time she makes more money and gets into a higher position when getting the next job.

Now she is with a huge company, top 20 easily, making more money (healthy six figures), stock options, big job title, benefits galore etc....

If she had stuck around at the very first company she would still be making a low level salary. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone she worked with at her first job was still there, earning almost the same and thinking they are doing a good job because they are dedicated to the company and their big break or promotion is just right around the corner. Any time now......... No doubt this person is taking the advice of her elders about how you have to be dedicated, don't job hop, companies will reward your hard work. It doesn't work like that anymore.

Meanwhile, my friend is job hopping right up the ladder.

Big business today does not care one bit if you job hop. When they see on your resume how you are climbing the ladder, they see it as a positive.

If you aren't job hopping, you are not going to be able to move up the ladder quickly. The days of promotions, big raises, and developing a workforce into bigger and better things are over. You have to take it upon yourself and job hop into those things.

Last edited by High Altitude; 07-19-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Most construction contractors are not 'Big Businesses'. There is no ladder (speaking metaphorically) to climb for a Construction Manager except for scope of responsibilities (larger, more complex, projects).

Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Lots of older people don't get it. They are so stuck in their ways they don't have a clue about what is going on today with big business and how they operate.
People like to think that their life experience and wisdom is valuable and useful. And a lot of times, it really can be. However, when people try to bestow their experience and wisdom unto others, they don't always account for the fact that, over time, things change. How things were "back in their day" aren't necessarily how things are today.

Part of me likes to think that it's not that older people don't get it. I think many of them do. I think it's more or less they refuse to embrace the idea that things are different today, because change is scary for most people and being "out of the loop" isn't exactly where most people want to find themselves.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Most construction contractors are not 'Big Businesses'. There is no ladder (speaking metaphorically) to climb for a Construction Manager except for scope of responsibilities (larger, more complex, projects).
Job hop into better projects, better pay, bigger company etc...

I bet huge multi national construction firms use construction or project managers too. They probably even have a huge hierarchy of other positions above that that managers could move in to when they job hop to their competition.

All I am saying, is if you are content earning the same money with very little raises, work not changing much etc.. stay put. If you want to learn more, take on more responsibility, earn a bigger and bigger pay check, and everything that goes with it etc.... job hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment