Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Phoenix and I'm looking to transfer soon and had some questions. The backstory is that I moved here as a stepping stone and wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but have decided to transfer with my company. The way my company is set up, there is virtually no chance they would transfer me unless I put in for another position. I've also noticed a lot of mobility within the company, and recall overhearing a woman in another department say that she landed a position in Dallas and would be transferring there, so I know this can be done. Staying in Phoenix isn't really an option because there really isn't any room for growth, and if I wanted to stay here I'd look for a new job. My company is also undergoing restructuring right now, so I have to wait it out before I can do anything. This also means that I'm working a lot of overtime so that I can prepare for a move. That being said, it's been hard getting advice from anyone on what to do because no one I know has voluntarily transferred from one city to another. I have a few questions about what to do:

I have extremely high productivity (consistently #1 in my department) and volunteer to work overtime frequently (which I did even before deciding to transfer). I know that my boss will eventually find out that I plan on leaving, and I'm concerned that it won't go over well. Do I need to have this discussion with her at all?

Should I reach out to HR about it and see if they can help? My HR setup is very odd, because there's one in my building, but regarding me they're for departmental relations and building issues only. My more traditional HR is in another city. The person who oversees my department flies out fairly frequently. However, my HR doesn't oversee a lot of places, so locations are limited. I'm not sure which locations they oversee off the top of my head.

A big concern of mine is timing. Because of the restructuring, I can't do anything until this fall anyway, however that coincides with the holidays so I figured I'd wait those out and look in January. By that point, I'll have been at the company about a year-and-a-half. My next raise is due in April (regardless of location) and my lease expires in March. I believe month-to-month is the same rate as my year lease. I don't want to miss an opportunity, but I know the winter may be a difficult time to relocate because I'm looking in cities where winter weather is an issue. I also wonder if that's not enough tenure at the company to start looking.

I don't know if it would benefit me at all to reach out to another office. It worries me that if I don't get an opportunity, I may miss out on that transfer opportunity. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until an opportunity is there before I can do anything.

I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of, so any advice you could provide to ensure I land a transfer would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
Although I am not exactly in your spot, I can relate. My boss is blocking anyone from leaving the department which is sad. I would try talking with that lady from Dallas more, see how she did it. Are you on an intranet where you can search for jobs? Does it give the hiring manager's name? Maybe you can setup a call with them and see?

What do you mean by another office? You mean another company? Do you mean a transfer to another department in a different city, or same department but different city?

Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Although I am not exactly in your spot, I can relate. My boss is blocking anyone from leaving the department which is sad. I would try talking with that lady from Dallas more, see how she did it. Are you on an intranet where you can search for jobs? Does it give the hiring manager's name? Maybe you can setup a call with them and see?

What do you mean by another office? You mean another company? Do you mean a transfer to another department in a different city, or same department but different city?
Thank you. First, I feel bad for you in that you're being blocked if you or anyone else wants to transfer.

I overheard that woman say she got a position in Dallas, but don't know how to contact her. I also know a lot of people move to different departments within the Phoenix office, which will change a bit because the restructuring is underway and has put limitations on transfer eligibility. There is an intranet site I can use, but it doesn't have any managers' names. I could try a local HR, but if it's the same setup as mine, they won't know much because that department's HR could be anywhere.

By another office I do mean with the same company, but in a different city. My department is exclusively in Phoenix, though it's part of a larger group with locations nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment