Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:25 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,537,377 times

Advertisements

Mod cut.

Your employer wants to up productivity, that's normal, they all seem to do that. That's how managers get bonuses and promotions, cutting expenses and increasing productivity. You've posted 2 questions here about this. When you don't get the answers you want you get snippy.

As to your last post: Did you find out who your union is and how to contact them??

I'm gonna guess the answer is NO. Since an anonymous forum can't tell you, instead of putting some EFFORT and a little time, you'd rather post a different but similar question on the anonymous forum.

I suggest calling you payroll dept and asking where they sent the money they took out as union dues to. Did you do that???
I'm gonna guess the answer is: NO.

If your paycheck was short by $25, would you call payroll then???

Basically that's what's happening every check you get, they take out union dues, (which they cannot do unless you authorized it) of course you may not remember signing the authorization with all the other info you may have gotten when you started.

Instead of trying to help yourself you'd rather get on here and WHINE, please tell us your preferred types of cheese.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-07-2016 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Orphaned and off-topic.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Why can't they be a business? being non-profit does not mean they are operating "at a loss"...
Or that you only have to work as hard or as long as you want to.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It's not a business when the intent is not to make a profit.

Non-profits are mission-driven, not profit-driven.
Their purpose is to provide a service, not make a profit.

They need to break even in order not to close, but again, profit is not the goal.

That's the difference.
Do you earn a paycheck? If the answer is yes, you need to work as hard as the person that you report to says you need to work.

Did you think that taking a paycheck from a non-profit meant you could determine your own workload?

Old 07-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
They are not "customers", they are patients.

It is not "sales", it is a healthcare service.
Money is exchanged, therefore it is a sale.

And those patients in a profit hospital would be customers, therefore they are in a non-profit.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Item1of1 View Post
As far as I know, non-profit just means they don't care about process efficiency as much and/or don't need to pay back investors as part of their mission.

But they still need to bring in revenue (via fundraising, for example) to "keep the lights on"...or at the very least maximize some type of in-house goal (so they have something to show when the time comes to compete for government grants).

And their capacity for risk is different: they are either taking on infinite risk or no risk at all, depending on how you look at it.
Non-profit simply means they don't bring in more money than they spend, and are therefore exempt from paying certain taxes. But that "spent" money can be huge salaries for their management, or perks for certain employees, or private planes used by executives, etc.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Non-profit simply means they don't bring in more money than they spend, and are therefore exempt from paying certain taxes. But that "spent" money can be huge salaries for their management, or perks for certain employees, or private planes used by executives, etc.
You are almost completely wrong.

Non-profit has nothing to do with whether they take in more money than they spend. Whether they have a surplus of not is completely irrelevant. Non-profit status is determined by meeting the criteria for 501(c)3 status under IRS regulations. Essentially, the organization must be for the public benefit, such as religious, educational, charitable, etc, and any surplus revenue does not benefit owners, but is put back into the company.

Yes, some non-profits are poorly run and spend excessive amounts on salaries, consulting, etc. they are generally the exception though, so not really worth bringing up in this conversation.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:54 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,887,465 times
I'd say the OP has things quite backwards. Since non-profits are mission-driven, good non-profits are obliged to be as efficient as possible, to be the best stewards possible and maximize the effect of the available funding. The fact that non-profits are not to be driven primarily by a profit motive doesn't mean laxer standards for employees or less through-put. Just the opposite, if anything.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:54 PM

35,164 posts, read 31,461,326 times
I think it's basically a figure of speech, whether or not they are for profit or not.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:02 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,177,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Explain the Super Bowl, NFL, et al

The NFL is a non-profit organization.

I really wish someone could explain this to me.
NFL Gives Up Tax-Exempt Status

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,177,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I think the biggest issue here is that many equate a non-profit to a charity. While many charities are non-profits, there are also a lot of non-profits that serve non-charitable causes.
Labor unions, PACs, and fraternal organizations (Masons, Elks, etc.) came to my mind, but I discovered that there are a lot more that just those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)_organization#Types
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment