Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,499 times

Advertisements

Did not know this existed until today. Was looking at some info on my company profile and found this info. States the following in regards to my position/title:

Targeted pay range: $63,300 to $94,900

my current salary is $63,800 putting me at 81% compa-ratio. 100% (midpoint) would be $79,100. Page says they try to keep all employees within 20% of the midpoint (80 to 120% of $79,100).

I was just hired a little over a year ago. Got a nice raise upon joining (from the 40s at my last company to just over 60k). Have had one review and it went well. Got a 5% raise. I am 29 and have a little over 4 years experience in this line of work, (1.25 years in my current position, 1.5 years in essentially the same position at a prior company, and 1.5 years at a lower level but directly related position at the same prior company).

I get that I am young and have less experience then most employees, so it makes some sense to be on the low end of this "compa-ratio", although I still do not like it.

Question is, should I continue to expect raises like 5% every year while I am near the bottom of this "compa-ratio"? Assuming I continue to do a good job and get good reviews of course.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 03:34 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,610 times
Depends on your company- but in my experience most departments are given a pool of money to give out to eligible employees at annual review time. There's a lot of different factors that would go into the amount you would theoretically receive- usually it's mostly performance based but typicslly if two employees are the same "rating" but one was at 85% and the other was at 95% the lower would get slightly more for the annual raise. Assuming a 5% is pretty high though at least in my industry the average seems about 3.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Depends on your company- but in my experience most departments are given a pool of money to give out to eligible employees at annual review time. There's a lot of different factors that would go into the amount you would theoretically receive- usually it's mostly performance based but typicslly if two employees are the same "rating" but one was at 85% and the other was at 95% the lower would get slightly more for the annual raise. Assuming a 5% is pretty high though at least in my industry the average seems about 3.
Well I got 5% this year, so I was hoping that would continue. Especially since I am on the "low end" of the salary spectrum apparently. My performance is good.

I guess I cant bank on it, but I will definitely bring this point up if I were to get a disappointing raise in the future. Hoping to get to the midpoint over the next few years.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Our annual performance-based raises average about 3%, however, the 6 month probationary raises are often closer to 5%.
Based on the information given, I would say that you should expect 2-3% over the next few years. It's hard to actually get ahead (beat inflation) with annual raises, it requires promotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment