Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,823,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecauseISaidSo View Post
Yes I live in the country. Very rural.
But traffic is a killer? It sounded more like you were in a more urban area.

What about a job at your local school district? You would have set hours for sure. You would be home before 4:30pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:08 PM

83 posts, read 65,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But traffic is a killer? It sounded more like you were in a more urban area.

What about a job at your local school district? You would have set hours for sure. You would be home before 4:30pm.
Yes where I work is in the city - going that way is heavy traffic.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Traffic doesn't really have anything to do with this. She's just nitpicking me.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,543,437 times
If you absolutely must keep to this schedule, why don't you look for a job that allows you to work from home a couple of days a week? You won't have to commute and you wouldn't be micro managed.

I think that your boss might be wondering if you are just making excuses not to work late. Sometimes at various jobs, you might be required to work outside of your normal hours. Your manager probably sees you as inflexible at this point because you have refused to do that True, your medical procedure could not be postponed. Couldn't your husband or the others in the carpool have dropped you off first at work then continued on their way one of the mornings that your manager wanted you in early?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
If you absolutely must keep to this schedule, why don't you look for a job that allows you to work from home a couple of days a week? You won't have to commute and you wouldn't be micro managed.

I think that your boss might be wondering if you are just making excuses not to work late. Sometimes at various jobs, you might be required to work outside of your normal hours. Your manager probably sees you as inflexible at this point because you have refused to do that True, your medical procedure could not be postponed. Couldn't your husband or the others in the carpool have dropped you off first at work then continued on their way one of the mornings that your manager wanted you in early?
She can see me however she likes. I'm past the point of caring after the hell and hostility I had to deal with.

I as honest and i couldn't do it.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,745,813 times
Quote:
I'm on my cell phone. I was asked to come in early during a week I couldn't. This was the first time I was asked. And nothing came up - I have a life outside work. I was asked and I couldn't give the answer she wanted. I have never complained at work to anyone. And I'm very pleasant.

If you're new on a job... sometimes you have to show the willingness to try and work with the company just like you expect them to work with you. I can't count the number of times I've had to come in early, or work late, or work over a weekend to finish a proposal that our customer dropped on us last minute. We make it work. Leave earlier if you have to and try to make it work. If your husband gets to work a little early so be it.

I doubt the company is going to ask you to come in early every day. But there may be times that it is needed. Our policies even state that there could be instances of working longer hours to meet a deadline.

On the flipside to that... since my manager knows I am willing to do whatever necessary, it's typically never an issue when I let her know I need to leave early to run an errand, or take a half day to take care of something. She knows I've proven that I am a team player and will do whatever I can when I can.

If traffic is one of the reasons you are having issues getting to work early, leave earlier. If you know it takes an hour on an average day to get to work, leave an hour and a half early. That way, if you run into an accident you have a buffer that still allows you to get to work on time. It's all in the planning and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,457,088 times
Quote:
I can have flexibility just not at the drop of a hat.
So you can be spontaneous as long as it's planned in advance? Flexibility doesn't mean you can adjust things with advanced notice, it means being able to adjust on the fly if needed. If you can't, you can't. That just means this particular job isn't a good fit for you because the manager has made it clear that she needs someone who can adjust on the fly.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So you can be spontaneous as long as it's planned in advance? Flexibility doesn't mean you can adjust things with advanced notice, it means being able to adjust on the fly if needed. If you can't, you can't. That just means this particular job isn't a good fit for you because the manager has made it clear that she needs someone who can adjust on the fly.
You may be right. I should have been told that in the interview I think.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,457,088 times
Quote:
You may be right. I should have been told that in the interview I think.
If you were told they needed someone who had flexibility on scheduling, you were told and just weren't listening carefully enough.

If they said it was a firm 8-4:30 schedule, then yes, they screwed up and wasted everyone's time hiring you for something that wasn't a good fit.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you were told they needed someone who had flexibility on scheduling, you were told and just weren't listening carefully enough.

If they said it was a firm 8-4:30 schedule, then yes, they screwed up and wasted everyone's time hiring you for something that wasn't a good fit.
Yes that's what I was told and what I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment