Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,592,021 times

Advertisements

smoking is legal, they test for it and wont hire smokers

why should marijuana get special treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM

633 posts, read 643,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
smoking is legal, they test for it and wont hire smokers

why should marijuana get special treatment?
Testing for tobacco is nowhere near as common as testing for marijuana is, and there's a pretty good argument that banning smokers from employment is just as stupid.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM

29,546 posts, read 22,876,811 times
No.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 AM

759 posts, read 642,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
At this point several states have legalized it for recreational and/or medicinal use. Given that marijuana has long been established to not have any effects truly more harmful than alcohol or tobacco, requiring employers to test for it is basically a waste of time.
I'd rather my employer test for marijuana and not hire the potheads.

I smell the potheads coming back from their lunch break... on a daily basis.

Did I mention I work in a facility with forklifts and cranes moving materials that weigh thousands of pounds?

I feel safer working around the guys that aren't high... and yeah, all of the potheads I've mentioned drive forklifts and operate cranes.

Oh yeah... almost forgot.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-surge-washin/

My risks already have increased on the roads... I should be able to work in a safe environment.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,778,862 times
I'd stop testing for it if I were an employer and had no legal requirement to do so. The test is worse than useless it is counterproductive. You can tell if someone has smoked within the last month or so but you can only detect harder drugs like cocaine and heroin a few days out. So you'll catch the guy who smoked a joint at a Friday night party but the guy who was in the back room at the same party snorting rails would get away with it. Alcohol is also potentially much more dangerous than marijuana especially for heavy users. We have the strictest standards against the use of the least dangerous drug and that makes little sense.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,301,631 times
What doesn't make sense is why some people are so adamant about doing mind altering drugs (I'm not talking about medical uses). I love sugary sweets, but if my job required me to abstain from my snickers or M&Ms, I would learn to do without. It's an indulgence and not something that I need to survive. Rationalize it all you want, but we don't always get to make the rules that we have to follow. It's not like the government put a tax on bathroom usage or jacked up the price of lipitor like pharma bro tried to do with Daraprim.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,778,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
What doesn't make sense is why some people are so adamant about doing mind altering drugs (I'm not talking about medical uses).

If you drink alcohol, even casually, you already understand why.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,834,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
This is a general question as I realize some jobs need to test for marijuana.

However, now that states are legalizing marijuana and the effects seem to be no worse than a hangover from alcohol, is it time to stop testing for it unless the specific job requires it. Testing for other drugs is fine, of course.

Here is the article I was reading about this:

Hiring Hurdle: Finding Workers Who Can Pass a Drug Test

No, the employers can test for anything THEY want and BAN you from using it. Alcohol, tobacco, weed, meth, heroin....

Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 AM

6,788 posts, read 9,640,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
What doesn't make sense is why some people are so adamant about doing mind altering drugs (I'm not talking about medical uses). I love sugary sweets, but if my job required me to abstain from my snickers or M&Ms, I would learn to do without. It's an indulgence and not something that I need to survive.
I've never used an illegal drug in my life, but why would I want to work for somebody who wants to test me for what I do in my private life?

Also, I like my work because it pays for my indulgences. Why work for somebody who wants to take them away?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:52 PM

759 posts, read 642,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I've never used an illegal drug in my life, but why would I want to work for somebody who wants to test me for what I do in my private life?
I don't think employers much care about what you do in your private life. They just don't want your private life habit to be carried into work one day leading to an accident resulting in the death or dismemberment of you or another employee costing them thousands/millions of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment