Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree that 'burning bridges' can come back to haunt a person.

Here's a great event that still has me smiling: this one manager was the boss from he$$ and made many enemies. Down the road he eventually lost his job. He went looking for work and when he entered an office to be interviewed, guess who the interviewer was? Yep! It was one of his former employees he'd raked over the coals numerous times.

The louse looked at his former employee and said, "Well, I guess there's no point in me interviewing for this job."

The former employee didn't have to say one word, just sat there an smiled. Of course the interviewer knew ahead of time who was going to walk through the door.

So managers. . . don't burn your bridges either.
For sure.
The manager who was told to try to create a paper trail to fire me, ended up relapsing on drugs and last I heard he was on methadone (yes really).

Karma really is a bleep

Last edited by yellowbelle; 05-01-2016 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: attempting to bypass language filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
He was working for us as a sub. I'm sure if he comes back as full time things would be different.

*Sigh* can't bring him in now. I'm referencing him to some contacts of mine in other companies. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and keep his mouth shut this time around.
I don't understand, at all, why you would give him any kind of reference after this.

"I hope he learned his lesson..."

You are staking your reputation on the fact that he has learned his lesson.

Sorry, but no one is THAT good of an employee.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
I did that once, left and only gave a weeks notice. I hated it so much I would cry thinking about going to work. I think I would have killed myself if I didn't get another job, it was that bad. Sometimes you have to burn bridges, for your own sanity and happiness.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Even if you think you're settled for life, don't burn any bridge. You never know if you might need that bridge again in the future.

About 8 months ago, a sub sent this guy to work in my office. Very good at what he does. In fact, he was so good, I extended an offer to him if he ever wanted a full time position at our company, which paid a heck of a lot more. We're also like a million times bigger than his company. He was excited for the opportunity. So, I spoke with the hiring manager and the hiring manager agreed with me that that guy was good at what he does.

All of a sudden, he got another job offer elsewhere. When we shook hands on the last day before he started his new job elsewhere, I again told him if he ever needed a job just call me.

Earlier this week, I got that phone call. It didn't work out with the other company. He got let go. So, I called the hiring manager and asked him if he remembered (insert name here). The hiring manager exploded into the phone and said he would never consider him. Ever. He also told me that guy burned all his bridges before he left. I had previously heard that the guy didn't know how to properly conduct proper office politics, but I had no idea it was so severe.

After I spoke with the hiring manager, I called the guy up and asked him what the hell did you do to make the hiring manager so mad almost a year later? After a little cat and mouse game, he finally admitted that the day he left, he sent out a group email to several people basically telling them to suck it.

For goodness sake, people, even if you think you will never need the bridges ever again, don't burn all your bridges on your way out.
LOL. That wasn't smart, but I should point out that the hiring manager is a total moron, and you should probably discount anything that he said. No decent manager ever blasts a prior employee. I don't care what they did. There is not one single thing good that ever comes of it. Blasting a previous employee is personal, not professional. It can lead to lawsuits, but at minimum makes the manager look like a tool. Besides that, the world is a weird place. Would you work for that manager or that company? Would you hire him? I wouldn't.

On top of that, it's possible that the prior employer were all flaming a-holes, and your prior employee would be just as good working for you as he was last time. He didn't tell you to suck it when he left. Am I right?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I don't understand, at all, why you would give him any kind of reference after this.

"I hope he learned his lesson..."

You are staking your reputation on the fact that he has learned his lesson.

Sorry, but no one is THAT good of an employee.
I wondered the same. Verbally flips off coworkers and then things "didn't work out" with the next employer? Problem child. Period end.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
OP you should write a book. You seem to have all the answers. After being in the industry for so long I'm sure you could write a good book!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I know someone in commission sales for almost 20 years. Her assistant from 15 years ago is currently her boss!

Her boss worked their way up to management and they had a good relationship so it worked out fine but whew that could have been a different story if she was an azz to work for 15 years ago! Ironically the commission sales workers make over six figures.....management makes 55K a year.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
OP you should write a book. You seem to have all the answers. After being in the industry for so long I'm sure you could write a good book!
Oh yes definitely! It would probably be used as a business school textbook. Probably? No, absolutely!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
When you retire feel free to torch all bridges. Until then, be professional.
Even if you were retiring, they still don't care what you have to say. It means nothing to them.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes.
The thing is, I didn't feel I acted unprofessionally when I told clients I had been bullied by the company.
I was simply being honest when clients asked me a question.
Why would the company think I would lie for them and cover for them, when they had basically chased me out? I don't think one needs to do that in order to be professional.
Sorry you had to go through this, but I have to disagree with you. You did act unprofessionally by saying anything to the clients other than you enjoyed working with them and something positive about your new job.

I was the client of an accounting firm, and one of the employees I NEVER spoke to left the firm and was upset about something there. He phoned me directly after he left and told me a bunch of nonsense about how little he was paid and he was the real one doing the accounting work on my account not the senior partner I had meetings with. Well, duh, I wasn't expecting the senior partner to be doing data entry. This guy was delusional about his importance to the firm and my account. Right after the phone call, I called the senior partner and told him who called me and that I thought it was unprofessional of him to contact me to bad-mouth them. I added that by this behavior I'm glad this guy isn't working on my account any longer. You think he got a good reference from anyone working there or was available for re-hire after my call?

You were just as unprofessional, because it wasn't this guy's place to tell me anything about how he was unhappy about how they operated and he was treated. He then tells me he is calling to solicit my business. No way was I jumping ship to go with him.

If where you were working there are health and safety concerns, that sort of thing, then you go through proper channels. But other than that, keep your mouth shut. No one cares what you have to say and it only hurts you. I've been at companies when sometimes people make their farewell speech, and no one cares what they had to say and most of the time can't even relate to it. Doing that just revealed how unprofessional you are and not a good worker. Honestly, people laugh about whatever you said after you left. So wise up, you weren't important, just leave and do better finding the next job and work harder at it.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 05-02-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment