Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,159,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why do I always feel like I'm reading Aesop's Fables when you post things?
Ok, let's talk about your feelings.

What part of what I said is fable-like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,554,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

It's the toga and the laurel wreath you're wearing.

My industry and specialty are small enough that I can't afford to burn bridges. I don't think there are many people who would assassinate me in a backdoor reference check.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:43 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,790,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Most HR managers have instructed most hiring managers that they can't say anything resembling what you say this guy told you. That's just opening the company up to lawsuits if the applicant's story of events is different from what the hiring manager is telling you. There are certainly backdoor reference checks you can do like what GeoffD has mentioned to see if what the hiring manager said is true, but the front door really shouldn't be that open for you to hear things like that.

I used to work in a regulatory position for licensed professionals. I remember I had one person who had a HM so vindictive that he reported this woman to us and fired her. He later on wrote us again from his NEW position to reiterate how awful she was. However, she had letters from other coworkers saying that what the HM was saying was entirely false and that none of what he said happened was actually true. The fact that he was no longer at the original employer seemed to support that, but relying only on what the HM says when he says something that strongly is suspect.

If I were to hear something like that from a hiring manager, I would want to do a backdoor reference check to try to get a better idea of what happened and see about the culture of the workplace in question.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most HR managers have instructed most hiring managers that they can't say anything resembling what you say this guy told you. That's just opening the company up to lawsuits if the applicant's story of events is different from what the hiring manager is telling you. There are certainly backdoor reference checks you can do like what GeoffD has mentioned to see if what the hiring manager said is true, but the front door really shouldn't be that open for you to hear things like that.
And exactly what did I say the HR manager say that sounds off? The guy was our sub. He didn't like how he was treated by some of our people (I wasn't aware of this). He found another job closer to home. On his way out, he sent a nasty email to the people in my company he disliked. They showed the email to the hiring manager in my company. The hiring manager in my company made up his mind there and then that he wouldn't hire this guy in the future. Now 8 months later his new job didn't work out and that nasty email is preventing him from working in my company.

I don't know about your industry. I work in the construction engineering industry. We run into the same people over and over over the course of our career. This is why it's a bad idea to burn bridges.

Quote:
I used to work in a regulatory position for licensed professionals. I remember I had one person who had a HM so vindictive that he reported this woman to us and fired her. He later on wrote us again from his NEW position to reiterate how awful she was. However, she had letters from other coworkers saying that what the HM was saying was entirely false and that none of what he said happened was actually true. The fact that he was no longer at the original employer seemed to support that, but relying only on what the HM says when he says something that strongly is suspect.
If you had read my posts more carefully, you'd know that the situation you described here is entirely different than the situation I'm telling.

Quote:
If I were to hear something like that from a hiring manager, I would want to do a backdoor reference check to try to get a better idea of what happened and see about the culture of the workplace in question.
What's there to check? He admitted that he sent a nasty email to some people in my company when he got the job that he thought he would retire with. And I had to pry it out of him. All I got from the hiring manager was he pissed off some people and there's no way he would work here in the future.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 AM

138 posts, read 156,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why do I always feel like I'm reading Aesop's Fables when you post things?
Yep. Same thing here.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 AM

10,436 posts, read 14,132,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I disagree.
Some people retire and never will have another job.
They can burn all they want.
When you retire feel free to torch all bridges. Until then, be professional.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,693,433 times
There will come a time in your career when you can afford to burn bridges and you will relish that moment, I promise you.
OP, you are young an lucked into a job that you like and treats you well. I sincerely hope that it lasts a looooong time for you. But please understand the shift employee/employer relations have taken in the last decade, your job is the anomaly. Not the norm. When/if you have to suffer the new era of corporate disrespect and horror, you will have a little more tolerance toward the anti-management postings that get put on this forum

Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,640,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
When you retire feel free to torch all bridges. Until then, be professional.
Yes.
The thing is, I didn't feel I acted unprofessionally when I told clients I had been bullied by the company.
I was simply being honest when clients asked me a question.
Why would the company think I would lie for them and cover for them, when they had basically chased me out? I don't think one needs to do that in order to be professional.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM

404 posts, read 369,030 times
Haha, you have a good point, its kinda funny, "Suck it" lol, why would you want to go back to a place that you did that?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Haha, you have a good point, its kinda funny, "Suck it" lol, why would you want to go back to a place that you did that?
He was working for us as a sub. I'm sure if he comes back as full time things would be different.

*Sigh* can't bring him in now. I'm referencing him to some contacts of mine in other companies. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and keep his mouth shut this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment