Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 AM

732 posts, read 4,163,388 times

Advertisements

How do they know the GPS was true? What if it is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,097,339 times
Honesty is the best policy, if you're being paid to work, then you should be working.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,514,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
How do they know the GPS was true? What if it is wrong?
GPS is accurate to within so many feet.

If they question it in the courtroom, do a simple demo. Turn cellphone on. Track w/ GPS. Should show to be in that building.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,828,024 times
Many companies have these on their fleets. Most of them tell you that ahead of time so you know they know where you are and how you are driving. I have heard of a few companies going to extremes and using new cell phone GPS technology to monitor employees off the job too. I heard of employees calling in sick and the boss calling them back on their cell phones and looking at the GPS to insure that the employee was indeed at home.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
GPS is accurate to within so many feet.

If they question it in the courtroom, do a simple demo. Turn cellphone on. Track w/ GPS. Should show to be in that building.
It is electronics and is not accurate. Would you trust an electronic device over your job? It is like a police radar gun. It has flaws and needs calibration.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,504,268 times
Police Cruisers also have these devices, at least in my area, they not only gage where you are but your speed.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,514,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
It is electronics and is not accurate. Would you trust an electronic device over your job? It is like a police radar gun. It has flaws and needs calibration.
I test a system I build with a simple Serial GPS device. Probably the cheapest PC based thing out there.

Its accurate enough so that I can look at a picture taking from the vehicle, and match it to the intersection of the GPS info, within about 8 feet. (and thats driving 40mph)

GPS data isn't going to be jumping 5 miles from some work location to a coffee shop. Its off by around 8-20 feet (depending on the accuracy of the device). I dont think we're talking about 20 feet. We're talking about a large enough distance where the employer can reasonably conclude that the employee is NOT at the proper location.

A Laser or radar gun needs to be calibrated because its sending a pulse, and looking for the receiving pulse off a trigger. It triggers, pulse sends, gets the bounce back, and then it calculates distance. They also have to be able to adjust for the police officer's vehicle movement, etc to determine whats really going on. The calibration for said device is because if thats off even marginally, your data is off extremely.

With GPS, it maintains a continuous link with anywhere from 5-12 satellites, and constantly updates the information both to and from the location. Theres nothing to calibrate because it uses simple triangulation methods to pinpoint your location.

Remember hearing years ago how police depts. could track a cell phone caller to a location as long as they were connected to multiple towers? Its the same idea. Except instead of a tower, its a satellite, and its constantly updating that information, not just when its asked to (like the towers or radar guns)

Oh, btw...
A mouse is an electric device. Does it need calibration to point accurately?
What about your keyboard?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
A mouse is an electric device. Does it need calibration to point accurately?
What about your keyboard?
They both could use cleaning at some time. There is always a fault of error in electronics and I wouldnt put someones life or job over what electronics has to say.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM

941 posts, read 2,307,313 times
What upsets me the most is that the people or supervisors who monitor these devices don't follow the rules either, at my job they would say, don't take the company vehicle to get food, but you see them going way outside the campus getting food, they should set the example for employee's,are we supposed to work all night and not eat?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,209,830 times
to quote the late great communicator [Ronald Reagan] TRUST BUT VERIFY.......

if employees didnt try to scam, companies wouldn't have to track.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment