Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 PM

213 posts, read 206,518 times

Advertisements

This thread is about a passive aggressive douche at my place of work (a grocery store). While I obviously have much bigger problems than an annoying prick at work, I just want to know what I should have done and what I should do when dealing with individuals like this for future reference.

I didn't interact with him much at all initially. He came off as aloof to me, but that wasn't too surprising by that point as many of the younger employees did at this store. I probably came off the same way to others, since i'm an introverted guy. I suspected that he too was another introvert and thought nothing more of his "aloofness". I did begin to notice his short comings as an employees though.

As I mentioned in the thread "Keep your head up..." he is a lousy worker, and only attempts to appear helpful when a supervisor is around. All the other baggers had to pick up his slack. He is also a boaster and flatterer.

There is a large multi-tiered locker in the break-room. He places his bag and jacket on top of this locker, but he puts it in such a way that his jacket partially hangs over and covers my locker door. I have to manually hold it aside to access my box. I didn't assume any maliciousness on his part. Annoyed, I began to fold his jacket over so it wouldn't hang in my way. I knew that he was indeed doing it purposefully when I returned to the break-room at a later time to find it back hanging that way. Still I didn't assume any malice. That is until the day I covered someones shift. He didn't expect me to be there, and his jacket was folded up and not covering my box. It was hanging over my box later in the day though, after he realized that I was there... it's a small issue of consideration that builds up into something big and unnecessary.

When I approached check-stands to bag, he would hop in my way and cut me off, leaving me to go back to the previous check-stand. The second time I knew he was doing it deliberately so I gave a chuckle and smiled at him, trying to see if he would reciprocate, indicating that he was trying to be funny or play a prank or something. He continued to do this for the rest of the day and next few days. Not a big deal.

He loves to laugh at me. He does it in the same way I might imagine a school girl would; he covers his mouth, looks away and man-giggles. The first time this happened was when one of the supervisors encouraged him to do so, as she was making of fun of me for stammering. Now he openly laughs at me for anything.

Yesterday we had these two classy interactions:

I'm in the break-room reading a book, as I often do. There are 3 people waiting for job interviews behind me. One of the women who works in the bakery is sitting infront of me. He enters and stands directly over me while talking to her about whatever. He walks away and then comes back to say:

Twit - Oh, hi Peter.
Me - Hey, how's it going?
Twit - *Laughs* I didn't notice you sitting over there at all!
Me - *Quizzical laugh*
Twit - So what are you reading? The Hunger Games?
Me - Yep
Twit - *Sneers*

Later on in the day I was bagging a couples groceries at his check-stand. He wanted to close and go home so he began to look around urgently until his eyes finally settled on me.

Twit - You, go close me up.
I glared at him but did so and returned to bagging.
Customers - You, go close me up! So funny! *Laughs*
He began to look mighty pleased with himself and clapped his hands together, rocking side to side laughing boisterously.
Twit - I just forgot his name is all!
He didn't go home, he just started prancing around the store texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 PM

254 posts, read 600,432 times
Play aloof with this guy and ignore him. He is playing games. After awhile he will get tired of playing games where he is not being noticed. He sounds like a d*ck. When you're reading your book and he comes in, just ignore him. If he says something to you act as if you didn't realize he was there saying "Oh what? I didn't hear you I'm focused on reading" Don't look up at him either. The thing with the coat: When you close your locker door, put the part that is dangling over your locker closed into your locker so he can't free his coat. When he asks you to open your locker to remove your coat say you're busy working and will on your break. Then say sorry you didn't see his coat there and chuckle. Hopefully he will learn his lesson and won't do it again. When he starts to cut you off put your hand out to stop him and proceed. This will let him know you are not taking that crap anymore. If he asks you to close up for him tell him to do his own job since you are busy. Stand up for yourself. Some people have to learn from their misdeeds.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 PM

213 posts, read 206,518 times
I just changed my locker instead.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM

9,907 posts, read 14,286,274 times
He is only getting to you because you are letting him get to you. Remain calm and polite and ignore him. Without your reaction (you may not think you are giving him one, but I'm sure you are) he will move on.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,553,912 times
You both sound like little children.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,267 posts, read 4,397,319 times
He's not passive aggressive by the way but rather covertly aggressive. Big difference...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...r-misused.html

Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,776,723 times
Is this a new coworker that is bothering you, or is it the same person from your previous post about stocking shelves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment