Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:25 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,068,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Then why do most jobs actually pay *more* than minimum wage?

Just wondering whether you really believe what you wrote.
Poverty is still poverty, even if you pay 10-cents more per hour so you can brag about it.

Anyone who thinks getting rid of the minimum wage is a good idea has clearly never seen 3rd world sweat-shops, has forgotten about the "company store," and places way too much faith in corporations while, ironically, usually spouting off about "the dangers of big government." Because big business is so much more trust worthy? Sorry, but being listed on a stock exchange doesn't mean you're honest.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:43 AM

18,599 posts, read 7,480,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I suppose I'm showing my bitter, curmudgeonly side, but what's the matter with kids today? Back in MY day, we took a job if we wanted to eat.
They feel like they have no future, and they might be right.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM

22,195 posts, read 13,365,761 times
Well, that's very sad, but who is paying their bills? Again (back to the original post), work isn't optional. Or shouldn't be, IMO.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 AM

22,195 posts, read 13,365,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybriar View Post
A lot of millenials don't have a choice as to whether they work or not. The economy is vastly different from what it was a generation ago and comparing employment numbers is useless. They may be out of college for 8 years and still not find an entry-level job, so they have to either deal with a lowly retail job or take their cash to a country with a beach and a low cost-of-living.

Again... WHAT cash? Most of us have to work -- often for a lifetime -- before we can retire to a beach.

I'm speaking purely in practicalities here. Why do people feel they don't HAVE to work anymore; what has changed? Obviously either parents or the government are supporting them, making it optional. I don't particularly care if they LIKE it or not; that wasn't a consideration when I took my first job, and it's not the point of the discussion.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-01-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,618,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They feel like they have no future, and they might be right.
of course they are right... unmotivated people never have a bright future...

motivated ones will do better and have one.

why do people keep saying past generations are different? what all you guys keep pointing out is just survivorship basis, the successful ones are still around, so you think the entire generation is successful? WTH? That's like saying millennials are screwed because only a few are doing poorly.

in 20 years, all of those broke college kids will either be successful or gone/dead/jailed, and the next generation will point to millennials and say how they have it so easy because the only ones left are running the companies.

no one remembers the unsuccessful people, that's why to people who haven't lived through it, call it easy in hindsight

Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 AM

17,422 posts, read 12,061,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
One of the advantages of NOT being a Baby Boomer is that all I have is facts to rely on regarding their lives, not rose-tinted memories or substitutions of what one individual did ("I worked hard and was a good person, so everyone in my generation did the same") with what everyone did.

The brutal reality is that the Baby Boomer generation in the developed world enjoyed the highest standard of living ever seen, and probably the highest that ever will be seen for at least a few generation to come, if not forever. Their jobs were more stable, they had pensions, they had affordable housing, education, and healthcare for most of their adult lives. In short, they had it GOOD. And that's even after all the demonstrations, drugs, and free-love of the 1960's, which many butt-hurt Boomers seem to have forgotten about when grumbling about how "irresponsible" Millennials are these days.

They were also the ones at the helm when the decisions were made to gut this nation's economy in the race to the bottom so they could have MORE, because having more than enough was never good enough. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to complain about the next generation's dismal prospects and "not working" after having destroyed their futures and gotten rid of their jobs.

Ah, well - karma is going to suck for them, particularly the worst of the rage-filled haters, when they get old enough that they have to go to a home and be supported by their kids... their kids who can't afford their own lives thanks to decisions made by their parents.
Hilarious. You say you're not going to assume every Baby Boomer did the same thing, then go on to paint a very broad brush about all Baby Boomers, based on your assumptions. Because one individual (CEO, etc) did something destroyed your future), everyone was responsible.

You might want to look around a little (you'll have to take those rose colored colored glasses first) and see that many, many Boomers have lost a huge chunk of their assets during the recession. We all suffered. The difference is that you have a lifetime to make it up. And you will be able to, because you seem to think that it's something a huge group of people have control over. So you will be able to fix this nation's economy, and bring us back to the top. Right?

The icing on the cake is calling folks out for being haters, then wishing bad karma on them.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 AM

11,397 posts, read 19,091,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again... WHAT cash? Most of us have to work -- often for a lifetime -- before we can retire to a beach.

I'm speaking purely in practicalities here. Why do people feel they don't HAVE to work anymore; what has changed? Obviously either parents or the government are supporting them, making it optional. I don't particularly care if they LIKE it or not; that wasn't a consideration when I took my first job, and it's not the point of the discussion.
Because in the past hard work led to a better future, or at the very least let you pay your basic bills with something left over to enjoy as fruits of your labor. Now it's often working harder than ever just for basic survival or sometimes even less and with little or no hope of career growth or advancement. In less than half a century we went from aspiring to the "American Dream" to the very Third World mentality that is supposed to be why people from such places want to come here. We should be a lot better than this!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,618,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Because in the past hard work led to a better future, or at the very least let you pay your basic bills with something left over to enjoy as fruits of your labor. Now it's often working harder than ever just for basic survival or sometimes even less and with little or no hope of career growth or advancement. In less than half a century we went from aspiring to the "American Dream" to the very Third World mentality that is supposed to be why people from such places want to come here. We should be a lot better than this!
americans have plenty of cash left... then they keep spending it on crap so they make sure they are left with none...

you can't say they have no money after they already went on a shopping spree... they had money before they went

Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM

537 posts, read 602,654 times
I know quite a few younger people who have basically retired. They lived cheaply for a few years to save up a lot of money, then quit their corporate jobs and basically just do freelance work a few hours a week. Many of them move to places in Asia where it's incredibly cheap to live. When you do freelance work, you can pretty much live anywhere in the world as long as there's a decent Internet connection.

It's really not that hard to retire by the time you're 30 and just freelance a few hours a week to keep some income coming in, assuming you don't have a family to support (and more and more people are rejecting marriage and children). It's even easier if you live in some place like Thailand where healthcare cost isn't an issue.

And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not leeching off parents or a government. Maybe there's something wrong with people who think the only valid path in life is slaving away 50 hours a week in an office just so you can have a nice car and house. There's more to life than work, consumption, and reproduction, and I applaud millennials for recognizing this.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 AM

28,116 posts, read 63,971,987 times
Is it only predominantly emigrants that dream of having their own business?

I see it everyday... people that started with nothing and make it being self employed... which is supposed to be easier with affordable Health Care Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment