Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 05:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Yelp Employee Writes Open Letter to CEO, Gets Fired

I saw this article on another post and it brought up something I still don't understand.

Someone has a lifestyle that requires income of say, $50k or higher. Then this person goes out and takes a job that pays $30k. I understand that people just need cash to pay some rent or buy some food. I get taking any job one can get just to bring in some money.

What I don't understand is why the person will now complain and attempt to force the employer to now pay them all of the money the person needs to have the lifestyle they desire. A $30k job is not a $50k job.

If you need $50k, then find another job. It's not every single employer's responsibility to change in order to meet the needs of every single individual employee.

No one lied to the employee. The employee knew upfront what the job paid.

If complaining and trying to change the employer is a choice, isn't changing jobs to one that pays more a better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

If complaining and trying to change the employer is a choice, isn't changing jobs to one that pays more a better choice?
You make the false assumption than one has a choice.

Even as a life long conservative, who believes in individual responsibility, I am also realistic enough to realize the current economic path of Wall Street vs Main Street is unsustainable, and if the "Let them eat cake" attitude of the Libertarians (who falsely call themselves conservatives) continues, they will eventually get much the same result as Marie.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Are you saying that people don't have the choice to pursue higher paying jobs?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:56 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Lots of ways to get money, it's just a matter of how much effort to put into it... either through number of hours or getting skills or letting it accumulate over time

Blame someone else all they want, without putting effort into it, they will still be broke because they spend more than they have

Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
That's the real reason this country is going to ****. Not because we have offshored manufacturing, not because we let too many immigrants in, but because people feel entitled and have absolutely no clue how the economy or supply and demand work.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:29 AM

930 posts, read 700,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
That's the real reason this country is going to ****. Not because we have offshored manufacturing, not because we let too many immigrants in, but because people feel entitled and have absolutely no clue how the economy or supply and demand work.
That's not true. Anyone with a real understanding of economics knows that real wages have remained stagnant over the last half century. If you want to call entitlement the belief that we should be able to live comfortably in supposedly the "best and richest" country in the world, that is your prerogative. I agree that some entitlement exists. But that doesn't negate the fact that our economy is broken (and has been for some time) and does nothing to serve anyone else aside from those who have the most wealth.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
That's not true. Anyone with a real understanding of economics knows that real wages have remained stagnant over the last half century. If you want to call entitlement the belief that we should be able to live comfortably in supposedly the "best and richest" country in the world, that is your prerogative. I agree that some entitlement exists. But that doesn't negate the fact that our economy is broken (and has been for some time) and does nothing to serve anyone else aside from those who have the most wealth.
So you should live comfortably just because you happened to exist? How exactly are you uncomfortable personally? Are you really starving yourself? What happened with earning your wages because you contribute value?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
So you should live comfortably just because you happened to exist? How exactly are you uncomfortable personally? Are you really starving yourself? What happened with earning your wages because you contribute value?
The problem is that the opportunities to earn wages because you contribute value are diminishing. And the wages (and benefits) assigned to value are decreasing. Those are real problems that need to be addressed. Just because some of us have managed to achieve comfort does not negate these truths.

But this girl is NOT and example of that. She is and example of a whiney, entitled child who has no clue or desire to budget or work hard and sacrifice to get ahead. Her example hurts those advocating for change.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I saw this article on another post and it brought up something I still don't understand.

Someone has a lifestyle that requires income of say, $50k or higher. Then this person goes out and takes a job that pays $30k. I understand that people just need cash to pay some rent or buy some food. I get taking any job one can get just to bring in some money.

What I don't understand is why the person will now complain and attempt to force the employer to now pay them all of the money the person needs to have the lifestyle they desire. A $30k job is not a $50k job.

If you need $50k, then find another job. It's not every single employer's responsibility to change in order to meet the needs of every single individual employee.

No one lied to the employee. The employee knew upfront what the job paid.

Reminds me of the old Biblical story of the rich man and the workers. He told the first group and subsequest ones he'd pay them a penny to work in the fields.

First ones worked the full day and so on...Payoff comes the first were last to be paid, they complained about the wages and the rich man said "How did I cheat you? You KNEW the wages first"

Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 AM

684 posts, read 713,753 times
In my area, was browsing through craiglist and have seen a large number of low skill jobs that pay $15/h and more.

I do not understand what her complain is. Does she lacks the skills to make a living or does she lacks the opportunity to practice those skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment