Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,435,372 times

Advertisements

Youre an employment coordinator (HR) and dont even know your own classification? Oh lord.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 AM

341 posts, read 1,233,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It sucks if she had higher expectations.

Imagine having sex with a really hot girl and it was disappointing. I would say that sucks. But another person could say "at least you had sex and that's sweet". But that's just setting low expectations. You could have had sex with any one of thousands of people out there but you ended up with bad sex. It sucks.
LOL!!! Exactly!! But if you read in my past comments I chalked it up and said I guess it's not so bad since I was a temp and went a year without any benefits and at least I had a lot of holidays off...so I tried to see the bright side of it. If I had known this in the beginning it wouldn't have been a problem. I thought I misunderstood but I do get the 20 days pto and 20 days sick days...sweet deal I'd say.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,904,069 times
You need to hash this out with your company. It needs to be defined clearly so there is no confusion or misunderstanding down the road. Even if you bring it up casually, you should still find out. You should know this is important especially being in HR - others come to you with the same question for their roles.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You need to hash this out with your company. It needs to be defined clearly so there is no confusion or misunderstanding down the road. Even if you bring it up casually, you should still find out. You should know this is important especially being in HR - others come to you with the same question for their roles.
Anyone in HR should know their employer's personnel policies in depth, they should be able to close their eyes and quote the relevant policy or know, as in the case of insurance, who the in-house expert contact would be.

OP, I trust you were given a new employee handbook. Read it and understand its contents. Then, because of your role, ask if there are management policies that expand on benefits or to whom you should direct an employee should a question arise.

Simply based on the questions the OP is asking I do not believe s/he is an exempt administrative employee.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Anyone in HR should know their employer's personnel policies in depth, they should be able to close their eyes and quote the relevant policy or know, as in the case of insurance, who the in-house expert contact would be.

OP, I trust you were given a new employee handbook. Read it and understand its contents. Then, because of your role, ask if there are management policies that expand on benefits or to whom you should direct an employee should a question arise.

Simply based on the questions the OP is asking I do not believe s/he is an exempt administrative employee.
If you read the past thread, I haven't even started work and was not given anything. I had to search online for the policy handbook.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,070,231 times
Let's not be too harsh on the OP. She did state that she just got the job, so she is not necessarily in a position to know everything at this point. Employee benefits might not even be part of her responsibilities.

Yes, an HR person should know this stuff. Let's give this brand new HR person adequate time to learn the job.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Let's not be too harsh on the OP. She did state that she just got the job, so she is not necessarily in a position to know everything at this point. Employee benefits might not even be part of her responsibilities.

Yes, an HR person should know this stuff. Let's give this brand new HR person adequate time to learn the job.
Thank you. I haven't even started yet and have not received anything. I had to search every where just to find the policy handbook!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,530,318 times
I know that you haven't started yet but these questions about the benefits didn't come up during your interview?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I know that you haven't started yet but these questions about the benefits didn't come up during your interview?
They did come up but my question was the category because it wasn't clear. My initial thought was correct but then I was told administrator meant something else by the internet and google had different definition but I was right in the first place.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,627,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

As an HR rep, you need to figure this out ASAP.
^^^So much this.

Now, it's important to note that, conversationally speaking, there probably isn't a single, well-defined usage of "administrator" and people across campus will mis-use and abuse the phrase.

But as you are working for HR, it almost certainly has a specific job category meaning, and you need to understand precisely what it means as not only have you needed to answer questions for yourself, but you will get questions from people across campus on what it means for them and their benefits, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment