Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,263,130 times

Advertisements

So this is how a Fortune 500 co. operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,038,121 times
Sounds pretty clear, the OP took payment and assumed it was right based on PTO she hadn't earned. Get a detailed explanation of how they arrived at the $900 and go from there. If it was in fact from PTO she had not earned, then she definitely owes it. The question is if they will actually do anything about it. I doubt they will. Honestly, while I know it is not right, assuming everything we know is correct, she needs it way more than they do. She will have to make her own moral decision and justification about if or when it gets repaid.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,565,702 times
OP probably got a "bank" of PTO the day they started then used some PTO days in the beginning and was paid for it. Usually, when you are given PTO on day one it is with the expectation you will work the full year and "earn" it back or "accumulate" it back. OP quit and didn't earn any PTO so they owe it back. Now they have no money to give back. You need to find money OP, or they will come after you for it.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 AM

902 posts, read 1,107,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
A company can stop payment on your check and issue a new one. They can also call the bank and get all or part of their money back. Doesn't matter if it is a check or a direct deposit. This story doesn't make sense.

I noticed this is posted from a new account and this is the only posting.
they cannot call the bank and get their money back

if people or businesses could do that the whole banking system as we know it would collapse

Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 AM

10,054 posts, read 18,107,880 times
Wish the OP would come back and explain a few things. I too find it HIGHLY unlikely that she didn't notice that huge an overpayment in her check, since her check should have only been for the ONE WEEK that she worked. Why on earth would she think she was entitled to sick pay, vacation pay, etc. after working for ONE WEEK? (The fact that she is even saying she thought some of the check included these other kinds of pay make me think she KNEW from the paycheck amount that it was more than she earned.)

The OP must know what her pay rate was. She should have gotten a paystub that detailed the payment and seen right away that she got money she didn't earn.

OP, call the employer. They may very well accept a payment plan, given your circumstances, and at least it would show that you are trying to be honest -- which is a good thing.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM

772 posts, read 940,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not a reverse deposit, but once I got paid twice by accident and they sucked it right back out.
It had hit the account and was no longer a pending transaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, that's very much against the law, from what I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It seemed strange to me.
I wonder if they stopped payment on one check or what.
It was direct deposit, though...weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I also had this experience too. They took back the second deposit a week later.
Most likely, the employer had nothing to do with it.

Your employer sets up direct deposit, and on payday, they forward the payment information electronically. At that point, the bank reconciles the payments and processes them. It is not always an automated process, and if you were paid twice, it was probably the bank who screwed up and applied the payment to your account twice, not your employer.

By taking the money back out, they are simply rectifying an accounting mistake on their end.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:17 PM

299 posts, read 351,105 times
Quote:
She can't afford an attorney. And since the issue is only over $900, it would make more sense to use the free state employment office/labor department. IMO.
That makes sense.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM

3,938 posts, read 6,854,326 times
I once had an employer "overpay" me. I was seriously underpaid in my position though... I just coughed up the dough.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:56 PM

280 posts, read 473,641 times
Quote:
Make it sound like you'll file a complaint or sue them. And they'll probably back down. Because, it's very possible that you had the right to go out on state disability or some kind of family leave to take care of your father, and they probably should have told you of those rights.

This is the key. I had an employer do this to me this past Christmas. They called to fire me over the phone, then proceeded to tell me they were not going to pay me for some time worked. I subtly said I would have to consult with some "professionals" and apparently that was a good enough hint to squash it... they paid me everything they owed me.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,323,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
they cannot call the bank and get their money back

if people or businesses could do that the whole banking system as we know it would collapse
I had a direct deposit reversed after the fact 14 months ago. They paid me $1064.10 twice by accident on 12/30/2014 for unused accrued vacation time, noticed the error a day later, and $1064.10 was debited from my account on 12/31/2014. I don't know the rules but it happened to me 24 hours after the fact.

It's already been covered in this thread but I'd request a written pay history with an explanation of why they thought I owed them $900.00. If it's legit, I'd write them a check and make sure they got my W-2 straightened out so I'm not paying income tax or payroll taxes on it. Legally, they can demand it back. I doubt they'd chase me for it since an attorney would cost far more than $900.00. If it looked like I didn't owe them anything, I'd tell them I disagree. If they want to chase me, I'll let the small claims court judge decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment