Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 AM

46,975 posts, read 26,026,789 times

Advertisements

I heartily enjoyed the spectacle when some middle-manager bureaucrat at JPL decided that random drug testing was going to be instituted.

The engineers - many of whom have more than a streak of hippie about them - declared, en bloc, that they weren't interested. They were fairly certain they'd have a very, very easy time finding other places interested in world-class aerospace talent and that JPL would probably have a correspondingly hard time finding people with decades of experience building and operating Mars Rovers.

Bluster, posture, veiled threats, and then JPL senior management realized that middle managers are easier to find than people building space probes.

Admittedly, I would have loved to read the book on how JPL engineers messed up drug tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I heartily enjoyed the spectacle when some middle-manager bureaucrat at JPL decided that random drug testing was going to be instituted.

The engineers - many of whom have more than a streak of hippie about them - declared, en bloc, that they weren't interested. They were fairly certain they'd have a very, very easy time finding other places interested in world-class aerospace talent and that JPL would probably have a correspondingly hard time finding people with decades of experience building and operating Mars Rovers.

Bluster, posture, veiled threats, and then JPL senior management realized that middle managers are easier to find than people building space probes.

Admittedly, I would have loved to read the book on how JPL engineers messed up drug tests.
I love it.

I'm a corporate drone myself (database/BI/ETL developer) so I pretty much have to bend over every time they tell me to.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 AM

46,975 posts, read 26,026,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I love it.

I'm a corporate drone myself (database/BI/ETL developer) so I pretty much have to bend over every time they tell me to.
I have had the luck to mostly do networks for entertainment companies. I don't think anyone really wants to rock that boat too much.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,080,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I've been at my present job for 8.5 years. Had to have a urine drug test when I first started the job, and since then my name has come up 4 or 5 other times in a random call for re-testing. I'm a female, and it's not as easy for us ladies as it is for the men. I'm uncomfortable in the waiting room and hate having to pee in a cup. Also, the water to the bathroom sink at the lab (in a hospital) is turned off because you're not permitted to wash your hands right after going. Hand washing comes after you've met with the tech who labels the samples and has you sign stuff. Which means the door knobs are . I really hate that.

However, my name comes up less than once a year and it's a small price to pay for having a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. Do they test your hands somehow? Otherwise it's hard to see the justification.

2. I disagree that it's a small price to pay. Simply put, it's none of their business what drugs you do when you're not at work unless it affects your work. Even then, what is their business is if you're doing your work right, not whether you're falling short of some Puritan's standard of acceptable conduct.

1. They don't want running water in the bathroom because they want to ensure that people don't dilute their specimens. Understandable to me. However, I wish they'd at least supply disinfectant wipes.

2. My company is an industrial and commercial general contractor. I can fully understand why my boss wants to ensure that tradespeople working at extremely dangerous jobs in the nearby steel mills and other facilities are not under the influence of any drugs which could slow their reaction times or impair their judgment in any way. The boss (owner & president) also has his name in the pool for random testing and he goes (no pun intended) when his name comes up in the random draw.

I love the company I work for and still feel that occasionally stepping out of my comfort zone to have a urine drug test is a small price to pay.

If an employer requires drug testing and an applicant does not want to be subjected to such tests, then the applicant has the choice to not accept the job and to look for an employer which does not require drug testing.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
I took one over 18 years ago. Nothing big. Nothing to hide. I don't smoke but now we test for Nicotine. We are a smoke free facility. Interesting thing is the test picks up second hand smoke. If you don't smoke but your SO does then you might not make it. Another factor is even the smell of smoke will cause you to not get hired or get time off from work after you are hired.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you don't smoke but your SO does then you might not make it. Another factor is even the smell of smoke will cause you to not... get time off from work after you are hired.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 PM

98 posts, read 115,204 times
I took a hair follicle test about a year ago. The worst part was sitting in the lobby for 2 hours waiting for someone who was trained to collect the sample. I was a little surprised when she told me that they needed 2" of length and a pencil thickness volume. I ended up having to give an armpit sample, as that was my only body hair that was long enough.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,363,486 times
What's to dread since I don't do drugs? The only thing that sucked was I REALLY had to go to the bathroom and I had to wait because I wasn't sure I'd be able to go again when asked for the sample.

I had to complete the other testing anyway---like Hep B Antibody and PPD stuff. (Health care job.) I think they COULD do random drug screening but they don't seem to do it---they'd probably only do it if they suspected something was up. With over 50K employees, it's probably too much for them to keep up with regular random drug screening.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If we have that sort of trust issues from the word go, perhaps this isn't a good fit.

Would you like my credit card statements as well? My workplace and I are engaged in a professional relationship. As long as I don't directly counteract my employer's interest - for isnatce, go on social media and balst our latest product as being low quality and unsafe - I will be the judge of what expensive habits I will indulge in. And I rather like my privacy, even though I have nothing to hide apart from horrible taste in television series.
Depends on the job. If you go to work for a large bank, they will have an idea how much you owe on your credit cards. If you go to work for a defense contractor like Raytheon or General Dynamics they will as well. They may well have contacted your neighbors and old roommates depending on the job.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM

98 posts, read 115,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Depends on the job. If you go to work for a large bank, they will have an idea how much you owe on your credit cards. If you go to work for a defense contractor like Raytheon or General Dynamics they will as well. They may well have contacted your neighbors and old roommates depending on the job.
Same way with the insurance industry. Be ready to provide a full credit history, FBI background check, and past year W2s and Tax Returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment