Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,211,088 times

Advertisements

The background....

My next door neighbor's 30 year old son a few months ago had landed a full-time job at a local supermarket working in the OTC section at the store's pharmacy. His job duties is simple..stocking the OTC section, changing displays, zoning the merchandise and of course providing customer service. Problem ?? Despite liking the job according to him everyday he is hearing negative comments from other employees in the store including some members of management who has nothing to do with the pharmacy saying such things such as for example "..OMG..you are doing a woman's job !!" , "..dude you are a man you should be in the back unloading trucks not stocking little boxes of Tylenol....a little old lady should have your job instead". According to him a manager of another store who was in his store to attend a meeting was not only outraged at seeing him doing his job in OTC but kept on and on saying how the whole scene "..didn't look right" oh he was also quoting the line from the movie Forrest Gump "..stupid is as stupid does" when that manager had found out he was employed doing that position full-time. Apparently at this guy's store the position is not only divided between two part-timers but he makes it sure that it is staffed strictly by older females. Hmmmm..I had thought this sort of thing was illegal.

As I had mentioned he likes the job and has the support from both the pharmacy manager who had hired him as well as the manager of his store and the pharmacy staff but apparently everyone else in his store is upset at the fact that he has the job and not a woman. Now before I hear "..well he should just ignore those people" well that is what the pharmacy manager had suggested to him but then again we are talking about a rather large number of people here. Right now he really isn't sure what to do. Stick it out or transfer to another department of the store ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,474,613 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_f...qualifications

Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM

3,221 posts, read 4,604,320 times
Those comments reflect a mindset that I cannot imagine.

If a man is doing it, it's a ''man's'' job. If a woman is doing it, it's a ''woman's'' job.

Beyond that it doesn't matter!

Do what you like and enjoy your life!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 PM

10,243 posts, read 19,387,818 times
Kinda strange to call that a "woman's job", as traditionally it's the kind of thing a "stockboy" did.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 PM

13,177 posts, read 21,311,443 times
Unfortunately what you are describing isn't about a man's job or women's job but actually Harassment. It's a variation of the hostile work environment because he's seen as doing women's work and not work. Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. So, what does your friend want; Close his eyes and hope it goes away? Run away from it? Stay employed and fight everyone on this? Stay employed and file a formal complaint and have the government fight this for him?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 PM

363 posts, read 437,349 times
There is, but nobody really says it out loud.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 AM

32,829 posts, read 48,822,790 times
It seems to me that most pharmacists are men. If the kid really enjoys the work, suggest to him that he think about going to school and getting a pharmacists license.

He should smile at his coworkers and say, "nice try. I like this job and I'm not quitting, so you can forget about getting it for yourself."

Old 02-12-2016, 10:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,894,031 times
His coworkers are idiots.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM

780 posts, read 684,765 times
We have a doctor calling in for technical support. He refuses to be helped by a woman.

It used to bother me and I found it insulting. In the end, I looked at the bright side of things, less work for me, ha!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,613,455 times
Yes. A mans job is best envisioned in a Ford commercial. Ford tough as they say. A woman's job is to be in the kitchen, bare feet and pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment