Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,855,868 times

Advertisements

Recently, my company was bought by a wealthy investor. The company is very profitable, which is why they bought it. During a very recent employee review, the new owner didn't review anyone's job performance. So, instead they asked for 3 new business plans for outside businesses that they can realistically start and be profitable within 3 years.

I asked if it would be ok to give ideas on how to streamline and increase profits on this current business, and they aren't interested in that at all and honestly seemed a little put-off by my asking this question, as if they were looking at me like this was a lazy way out. One said "Is that all you want to achieve here?" They want 3 totally new ideas and in-depth plans on how to get the business off the ground and running at profit within 3 years. All done within 2 weeks and they keep pressuring people around the office "Hope you have some good ideas by next Friday to present to us".

Opening a McDonalds franchise was specifically stated as not a business plan. These guys aren't stupid and a wise-arse answer isn't gonna fly.

I am not a business person. I am a science geek and I work on fertilizers and chemicals in a scientific and mathematical capacity. I specifically do this because I'm not creative, I'm logical. Logic is what my job requires. Furthermore, if I had a business idea, why the hell should I share it with them? Its not my job to come up with new business ideas for an investor- its my job to make sure this place is running efficiently and I'm doing my job here (which is a 3 person job anyway and I do way more than my job description required). I honestly am pissed that I have to do this and I don't think its right. Why should my job review or anything having to do with this job rely on me giving business plans to some wealthy investor?

Anyone else experience this or have any advice on what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,860,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Recently, my company was bought by a wealthy investor. The company is very profitable, which is why they bought it. During a very recent employee review, the new owner didn't review anyone's job performance. So, instead they asked for 3 new business plans for outside businesses that they can realistically start and be profitable within 3 years.

I asked if it would be ok to give ideas on how to streamline and increase profits on this current business, and they aren't interested in that at all and honestly seemed a little put-off by my asking this question, as if they were looking at me like this was a lazy way out. One said "Is that all you want to achieve here?" They want 3 totally new ideas and in-depth plans on how to get the business off the ground and running at profit within 3 years. All done within 2 weeks and they keep pressuring people around the office "Hope you have some good ideas by next Friday to present to us".

Opening a McDonalds franchise was specifically stated as not a business plan. These guys aren't stupid and a wise-arse answer isn't gonna fly.

I am not a business person. I am a science geek and I work on fertilizers and chemicals in a scientific and mathematical capacity. I specifically do this because I'm not creative, I'm logical. Logic is what my job requires. Furthermore, if I had a business idea, why the hell should I share it with them? Its not my job to come up with new business ideas for an investor- its my job to make sure this place is running efficiently and I'm doing my job here (which is a 3 person job anyway and I do way more than my job description required). I honestly am pissed that I have to do this and I don't think its right. Why should my job review or anything having to do with this job rely on me giving business plans to some wealthy investor?

Anyone else experience this or have any advice on what to do?
Well, you "Could" let them know that you're not a "Business builder" type and you have enough to do with running your job now than to think up 3 ideas for them...'Plus I agree with the "Why would I share info with them?' Heck, if I had an idea of doing better, I'd start my own company....

Old 02-08-2016, 11:46 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, you "Could" let them know that you're not a "Business builder" type and you have enough to do with running your job now than to think up 3 ideas for them...'Plus I agree with the "Why would I share info with them?' Heck, if I had an idea of doing better, I'd start my own company....
The second part is exactly how I and others feel.

The bolded part, well, I wish it was that easy. I believe it will be risky to refuse to give them anything.

Crazy thing is that I have at least 10 ideas about how to make this place more efficient, and they don't even want to hear it (at least right now).

Old 02-08-2016, 01:23 PM

30,129 posts, read 25,260,482 times
I would not participate in their game. Not unless it was really worth it.

I doubt anyone legitimately builds their wealth this way. Sounds too lazy and stupid of an idea to ask random people for business ideas.

Last edited by andywire; 02-08-2016 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 01:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,550,414 times
It sounds like extorting ideas for the sake of keeping your job. And you likely will not personally benefit from the ideas, if implemented and successful. Difficult balance to negotiate.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:36 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,075,280 times
You have a successful co? Do these guys think that it runs itself?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:50 PM

928 posts, read 1,107,834 times
It may be best to put your pride aside and just do it. My assumption is that they are more interested in seeing what your thinking is like and what you can contribute to the business. Do Your best, put together a good plan and present it confidently. We have a saying where I'm from - "Never get excited over a cute pigglet or a new boss: you never know what PIG they will turn into".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment