Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 AM

774 posts, read 747,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
So, Thanks!
I or someone in my HR department conducts exit interviews with key personnel when they leave the company. I don't like staff turnover and want/need to know if there is an issue that has driven someone out the door. Despite the overwhelming belief that "the man" no matter how big or small is out to ********* over; I actually do care about my staff. So from an employer's perspective, I would want you to tell me why you were leaving. Of course I would prefer that you had alerted someone that there was an issue well before you were walking out the door. I can't fix what I don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
So, I made a major error in judgement in accepting my current position 7 months ago. I pretty much knew after the 1st week I made a horrible mistake.

Long story short, I'm the new target in the cross hairs and expect to get fired any day, since my supervisor seems to have an innate dislike of me. I actually will be the 3rd employee in 8 months under this supervisor to lose their job, so don't take it personal as it's more a reflection of them.

Great news is that I was offered another job today. Which I will accept. So, I plan to put in my notice tomorrow but looking for advice,,,,

I have been facing an increasingly hostile environment from my supervisor, including being completely excluded from"team" meetings and trips ( sole person not invited), not given assignments that are my job, kept out of meetings that affect my job, received negative review for " my personality" when nothing was ever indicated about my performance in 7 months, supervisor has been gossiping about me in the office, etc. Sadly, this is the same pattern this supervisor did to the 2 previous employees they fired before me. So, I know this pattern and the writing is on the wall.

As I resign tomorrow, I plan to go to HR rather than the my supervisor because I wanted to let them know of the harassment and discrimination this supervisor inflicts not only past, but present employees. Employer is currently facing a wrongful termination lawsuit so I guess I wanted to put the "fear" in them too and wake up top mgmt as to what is happening. I have everything documented, including the sexual harassment, age discriminatory policies, enduring hours of foul language, sexual innuendos, clients referred to as retards, conflict of interests, etc, This is only a few examples but I didn't give all examples since I don't want to give myself away, but I feel like this employer needs to get its head out of the sand.

am I being just petty? I honestly think this supervisor will be the demise of this small company. Would you report this activity or just resign and go? Thanks!

I'd debate putting in a 2 week notice. Maybe 1 week is enough as they may just fire you to be petty about it.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:14 AM

134 posts, read 103,318 times
As a follow up, I didn't give notice yet as the offer letter hasn't been fully ratified yet. Should be today for the letter. Background check was done. I wasalso figuring out pay period, sick leave, etc. My plan is to do it Monday to get that extra pay check in between jobs due to pay period structure and use a few sick days since they don't get paid out and they don't pay out full vacation, only accrued so that means 3 hrs pay.

In my dreams, I really just don't want to ever go back. Maybe it's immature but using a sick day today. Had to sit in meeting yesterday with another department where supervisor had assigned all my duties to other people and the meeting was about another event coming up, one I've been excluded from yet again. When the other dept head says " everyone from this company goes to xyz event" my supervisor basically tells him everyone from our dept will but me. This was a mandatory event for me when I started this job. It's been quite humiliating for past month or two as everyone knows there is something up and I feel supervisor is doing their best to humiliate me into quitting while implying to others I'm inept. Again, I believe I will be fired in time, but supervisor is trying to make me quit first due to already pending wrongful termination against company and the fact I will be the 3rd employee under this supervisor to leave in approx. 8 months so they are trying to not damage their reputation further.

Not sure if I'll get an exit interview, they didn't for the last two people who left the company and one had asked for an exit interview.

My supervisor left for their 8th week of vacation today (in less than 1 year. wTH?) so I secretly dream of just leaving and pasting a note on their door for all to see "people don't leave companies, they leave bad and incompetent managers like you!" Ha! Of course I wouldn't and realize I have spent way too much time stressing about this horrible supervisor. What are they to me, in the grand scheme of my life? Nothing.

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:01 AM

370 posts, read 505,781 times
You have a lot of "manager's and supervisor's" on here. I would go in to HR and kindly explain the pattern and hostile work environment...they need to be aware for the next worker. Is it fair for them to walk into this land mine? NO, it's time that supervisor is kicked on his or her butt out of there. I'm sick of seeing poor management...

Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
HR is not your friend.

Venting to them during employment or post exit interview does nothing.

People continue to miss this memo.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:33 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,912,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
HR is not your friend.

Venting to them during employment or post exit interview does nothing.

People continue to miss this memo.
Agreed. They're not going to change their ways,

Old 01-15-2016, 06:23 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,583 times
As others have said, if he/she is really that bad then I'm sure everyone else is already aware of this persons issues. We have someone like that at my company and I was warned ahead of time of his offensive personality.

Put him on the pay no mind list and don't waste any more thought or energy on them. Good luck at your new job.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
So, I made a major error in judgement in accepting my current position 7 months ago. I pretty much knew after the 1st week I made a horrible mistake.
I'd let them fire me, win UI and relax for a couple weeks then look for a job I liked....

Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 PM

134 posts, read 103,318 times
So as a follow up, I put in my 2 week notice while my original bullying supervisor was on vacation and my other "new" supervisor was out sick. I couldnt wait anymore or it would have messed up my start date with new company. Strangely enough, we had that huge blizzard here on the East Coast so I've barely been in the office (we were closed). I did go in, the CEO was there and called me in the office. I was quite taken aback when they expressed how sorry they were to see me leave and wanted me to tell them what was going on as they knew I was the 3rd person to leave this supervisor within 8 months. They apparently were already pretty well-informed of my supervisor's shortcomings and actually I was able to show them a document to back up my discussion points They recognized this would change nothing for me as I stressed that nothing could be fixed at this point, but they wanted a strong organization going forward. I was pleasantly surprised they took a serious interest

On the other hand, my newer supervisor started demanding I turn in a report detailing every aspect of my tasks, etc. I did an outline of 4 items they had assigned me and reminded them everything was on our shared drive and that I really had no work since everything was taken away. They indicates my outline wasn't good enough and they wanted more. So when I left, they kept badgering me if I was coming in next week for my final 2 days and I said "yes" but then thought "**********", you have treated me contemptuously too, do it yourself. The only reason I was to go in was for an official HR exit interview, which the CEO is requiring HR to do.

I left HR a voicemail asking if we could reschedule are exit interview to a Skype/phone as why should I commute 1.5 hours to repeat what the CEO and I spoke of? I left HR all the paperwork and docs too. Turned in my equipment. Is this horrible? I've never left anyone in the lurch but have no desire to ever step foot in that place again. BTW, I never heard from my big supervisor after I turned in my 2 weeks, except I saw an email to all staff saying I Resigned and then they posted my position. That speaks volumes about the type of person my supervisor is. I also had several coworkers I didn't know well come and pretty much say they "knew" why I was leaving and comment on the "jerky" email so obviously my supervisors reputation is quite well known!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 AM

21,907 posts, read 25,231,561 times
If they care, they'll ask about it in your exit interview. If they don't care, just walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment