Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 PM

299 posts, read 444,084 times

Advertisements

I graduated when I was 21 from a state university in California, with a psych B.A. I moved to Arizona for grad. school and have had a bit of a hard time finding a decent paying job (yeah I know, my bad for majoring in psych ... lol. But I did great internships throughout my program). Right now i'm in a very entry-level nonprofit marketing position. Long story short-- I just got an offer for 7 dollars an hour higher than what i'm being paid and it's honestly a pretty good wage (18/ hr). especially in my low cost-of-living state.... Woo AZ!

But, I am VERY very very nervous about quitting tomorrow.... I know it's just part of life and business. But I still hate feeling like i've let people do.

How have you approached quitting in the past? What's the best thing to say? Should I be honest and say I have had a hard time living on my past wage and that I got a better offer? Should I just walk in and say I'm giving my 2 weeks?

I have a great job and I love the people that work there and the office-culture, but the pay isn't letting me live well.. This job is better for me and my future.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM

12,132 posts, read 23,449,974 times
People quit jobs all of the time. No one is going to fault you for bettering yourself, especially a $7 an hour pay raise. Go in, thank them for the opportunity, and give them your notice.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
People quit jobs all of the time. No one is going to fault you for bettering yourself, especially a $7 an hour pay raise. Go in, thank them for the opportunity, and give them your notice.
Thank you <3 this made me feel better.

I know i'm being SUCH a baby about it... lol. I'm a NERVOUS wreck...but I'm a 22 year old girl and I know I need to toughen up! This isn't the last time I'm going to quit a job.

I'm also just a bit nervous because I've been job hopping a bit after college. My first job paid 11 an hour, the next one 13, this one 18. Job hopping is DEFINITELY not my intention, but I moved to a new city and I've had a bit of a hard-time getting my feet on the ground and finding a decent paying position. Me leaving has always had to do with pay- not my inability to grasp concepts/ do the job well.

This is the first position that I feel pays me what I'm worth. I know I'm only 22, but I have quite a bit of experience and I feel I deserve to be paid a livable wage (is that so wrong?!)

Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM

99 posts, read 130,322 times
Don't worry about it. I work in HR and people have mentioned my company has a "great culture" as well. If they really have a great culture and great people like you said, they will be more understanding if anything. I've hired really, really great people who produces and when it was time for them to quit, sure, I was sad but at the same time I "got it". I've done the same.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
Don't worry about it. I work in HR and people have mentioned my company has a "great culture" as well. If they really have a great culture and great people like you said, they will be more understanding if anything. I've hired really, really great people who produces and when it was time for them to quit, sure, I was sad but at the same time I "got it". I've done the same.
Thank you so much!

I'm just very nervous about going in there and how to approach the issue. My manager is VERY up-front and honest.... I know it isn't the worst thing in the world, but I feel like she's going to say something rude... like "wow really? you've only been here 6 mo."

Would it be rude to mention that it's a big pay bump and it would help me financially? I feel like they will understand I can't live on 13 an hour, especially when I'm being offered a much bigger bump in pay.

This job I am quitting is also a "student worker" job.... but it's a high level research/ marketing position. At the same time. They limit students to working 25 hours -.- ugh. And since i'm a graduate student, pay isn't all that great. I just feel bad because I haven't been there that long. It isn't my intention to "job-hop" but moving to a new city after college has been pretty brutal. I finally found a decent paying job.... and I've really liked every job I've had, I've never quit because I haven't liked my co-workers.... or because I can't perform the job. I've quit because there is NO chance for raises at this position and no room for growth. The boss at this position has already mentioned that we can discuss raises at my 3 and 6 mo. performance reviews.

Pay and livable wage IS important though. A job is better than no job and each of these jobs that I had (even if they aren't great pay) have helped boost my resume and have given me great skills. I just hate quitting anything, even if I know it's the best choice for me!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM

99 posts, read 130,322 times
Don't worry about it, seriously! I think I'm a very upfront manager myself and if that was my reaction, your response would make me understand. So just be honest with her and tell her that this new role is FT and a huge salary increase. Trust me, you're worrying yourself over nothing. She WILL understand and if she doesn't, she's a pretty ****ty person lolol.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
Don't worry about it, seriously! I think I'm a very upfront manager myself and if that was my reaction, your response would make me understand. So just be honest with her and tell her that this new role is FT and a huge salary increase. Trust me, you're worrying yourself over nothing. She WILL understand and if she doesn't, she's a pretty ****ty person lolol.
Thanks so so much!

This position is actually part time (as i'm currently in school and can't/ really prefer not to work full-time because my program has a 16 hour a week internship component) but it gives me 5-7 extra hours and allows me to work 30-32 hours a week, which is great and the pay is way better.

I think i'm going to go in there and approach it and say that I have LOVED this position and I greatly appreciate the opportunity and having met everyone in the office, but I was offered a much higher pay position and that my boyfriend and I really need it right now. I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the pay she's giving me- or sound selfish.... but I think she would better understand WHY i'm taking this job if I let her know that it's a big salary increase. Money does mean a lot, especially as a young twenty-something trying to live with her boyfriend. I don't know why this is making me so nervous! Gah! ^.^ thanks so much lol

Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,233,620 times
You're getting a 64% raise and an opportunity to make a real living wage. Anyone who takes offense at that is not worthy of your concern.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You're getting a 64% raise and an opportunity to make a real living wage. Anyone who takes offense at that is not worthy of your concern.
Thank you very much! I know it's the right choice. Should I mention when I go in to give notice that the pay is much better? I don't want to sound like an *******, but that's also a reason I'm taking the job.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,297,642 times
Don't let fear guide your life decisions. Best advice I can give anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment