Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM

55 posts, read 146,480 times

Advertisements

Businesses exist to make a profit. It.

If and when I open a small business it will be to make money for my family and their future... not my employees future. It is my venture and my risk.

Having said that, one must strike a balance in keeping their employees loyal and willing to work for you.

When a company prospers.. all prosper. Even if some think they are not prospering as much as others.

You can always move back to mom's basement.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 PM

35,778 posts, read 21,152,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Say like far in the past when slave labor were legal. Do you think if today every employer had the option of using actual slave labor as was done back in Antiquity and the Middle Ages do you really think there would be many employers today that would have an issue using it to full effect?

From what I have seen most employers try to treat their employees as slave labor as it is at least as much as the law allows, however if every employer in the western world suddenly gained the ability to treat their employees as slave masters did in the past, even including whipping to get them to work I feel without question that the majority of employers today would love nothing more and use it frequently.

they be darn BROKE !! there be NO business

Old 10-16-2015, 03:39 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,488,762 times
I think many would would consider all the illegal alien labor we have in this country a form of slave labor/exploitation of human life and it's happening right now. A great amount of the illegal alien labor in this country get paid low wages, work long hours and no work protections and can easily be taken advantage of and exploited. This is not to defend illegal aliens. Choices are made by them and the outcome of one's decisions are their own doing.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-16-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 06:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,725 times
Hmmm...doesn't that potential already exist? Isn't prison labor a little like slave labor? If certain companies, like construction and others, wanted to couldn't they hire prisoners, or ex-prisoners, to do their work and pay them only the bare minimum for survival? Couldn't they have convicts sign lease agreements that require them to do a certain amount of work to stay on the property? Couldn't the employers pay their "workers" with room, board, and a "volunteer stipend" of literally pennies on the dollar? Couldn't companies disguise their intentions by marketing their positions as "internships" and luring in unsuspecting students and others? Couldn't certain companies hire illegal immigrants and pay them only the bare minimum in exchange for hard labor that they would be glad to do due to the deplorable conditions in their own country?

Rapists, murderers, and others who have been convicted of various felonies--the new slave labor of America?

Starving international students and illegal immigrants--the existing slave labor of America?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,260,810 times
Quote:
Say like far in the past when slave labor were legal. Do you think if today every employer had the option of using actual slave labor as was done back in Antiquity and the Middle Ages do you really think there would be many employers today that would have an issue using it to full effect?

From what I have seen most employers try to treat their employees as slave labor as it is at least as much as the law allows, however if every employer in the western world suddenly gained the ability to treat their employees as slave masters did in the past, even including whipping to get them to work I feel without question that the majority of employers today would love nothing more and use it frequently.
I think offshore manufacturing is essentially slave labor.

Also I believe one or more presidential candidates are advocating for eliminating the minimum wage.

If companies could get away with it and it passed the bottom line they will do it

Old 10-17-2015, 01:50 AM

5,512 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I think they'd rather just buy products from companies that use slave labor, exactly like they do right now. E.g. the pacific fishing industry.
We already do that with our iPhones... factory workers need to take anti-suicide pledges

Quote:

For the most part, it seems this way. There are definitely companies that are above this, but they tend to be far and few.

Why Did Henry Ford Double His Minimum Wage? | The Saturday Evening Post
Another quote to add to my "all time favorite list"....
Quote:
Ford employees would be “demoralized by this sudden affluence,” and, of course, Ford Motor Company would soon be bankrupt.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:06 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,937,111 times
I certainly hope not. It took years and years and many thousands of lives to abolish slavery. But nowadays the world is controlled by psychopathic oligarchs, who care only about having more money than the other oligarch. It's not a too far fetched possibility.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:07 PM

10,625 posts, read 12,177,945 times
IMO the short answer is: No, they wouldn't have a problem with it.

Look at some of the conditions people work under and you can clearly see that if most companies could get away with paying nothing and providing no benefits ...they would.

It's their job to get you to work for them for as little as possible. Going back to slave labor an indentured servitude would be an extreme...but would the people MAKING MONEY OFF IT have a problem with doing it....heck no.

They could be more generous now, and their not. Why DOES the CEO HAVE To make 15 millions dollars and the worker make 35K...you mean to tell me the CEO can't make 10 million and split the other five million amongst the workers so they couldn't make more. That CEO is going to miss that 5 million, going from 15, to 10...that he or she can't make. take less so others could have more. At a certain point the money that people make at the top is ridiculous....compare to what their workers make.

Companies would return to slave labor in a heartbeat -- if they could.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,717,251 times
Many people do work for free. Its called unpaid internships. And these unpaid internships can last months or even years. This has increased exponentially over the past 15 years. Many businesses are calling almost all of their jobs "internships" now

Old 10-17-2015, 09:43 PM

10,793 posts, read 5,730,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Many people do work for free. Its called unpaid internships. And these unpaid internships can last months or even years. This has increased exponentially over the past 15 years. Many businesses are calling almost all of their jobs "internships" now
What companies have these long-term unpaid internships? Do you know people that have worked in an unpaid internship for years? Why would they do it, and how do they survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment