Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,785,007 times

Advertisements

I worked with lots of people who goofed off. That is not the worst thing to deal with by far. It is a manager who seems to hate you. You don't know if you can keep your job when you realize this.

The worst thing is to have an incompetent manager who viscerally dislikes you and wants to get you fired. I had one manager who was definitely crazy and wanted me fired. Since no one at work liked him at all, he really did not have much of a leg to stand on. And he called out "sick" all the time. All his odd behavior towards the others were doing him in, so in the long run he undermined himself by not acting what most would call "normal." This former manager was suicidal, an alcoholic and probably had some sort of mental disorder. I don't know, but he was definitely not managerial material. I got another job within the company and luckily dodged a bullet there, but you don't always know how things work out (or not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:38 PM

8,132 posts, read 12,876,791 times
My worst co-worker was an older woman when I worked in a lab testing rubber samples. ALL SHE DID WAS COMPLAIN. She had been with the company over 20 years and had never advanced past entry level. She was on the midnight til 8am shift and sometimes I would have to cover four hours of that shift for vacations. Every time I did it was a continuous ***** fest about the pay, how nobody does their job and anything else she could think about. Another issue was she was a chain smoker. This was back in the day when you could smoke while you were working (early 80's). I swear she would NEVER not be smoking. She even smoke while she was eating lunch (as in a cig in the ashtray burning while she chewed her food).

She also had a bad habit of trying to get other people in trouble with the manager over B.S. things. An example is when I worked with her once and "she had to work through break" when I took mine. She didn't "have to", she decided to. All she really was stand by the work area smoking instead of at the break area smoking. I got a "talking to" by the manager about not helping her and I told the manager I couldn't help her smoke over at the machine while she didn't do anything.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,319,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sorry,

Are you complaining about your bosses actually expecting you to come to work on time and/or stay awake while at work?

They have every right to expect this.

Yes i am and no they don't, if:

1. There is a disability that causes the person to arrive late.

2. An ADA request does not interfered with the ability to do their job or is a "hardship" for the company. This was a "no" on both counts.

As i said, the employers hired me into management to be on-call 24/7, happily and willingly, and then because i was sometimes late to the office (although every other person in management was also late, i would stay hours over, if needed, to make up any work i missed, and this was not a "shift job" so i was not relieving anyone) they fired me.

And although i never slept on the job, the ADA is *supposed to* also protect people who have a valid and documented legit medical reason to need such an accommodation.

There is an ADA act for a reason. Not all people w disabilities are in wheelchairs but i'm sure i would have been treated with much more respect if i was.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:54 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,105,300 times
Allow me to add a couple of profiles which, while they have been alluded to briefly, are a category unto themselves when taken to extreme:

* The Organ Recital. This person has chronic health problems, which could usually be well treated and controlled through diet, exercise, and regular checkups. But the star of our show feels compelled to regale coworkers with breathless accounts of their cholesterol numbers, blood pressure, triglycerides, blood sugar and other variable markers of their condition. Usually while chowing down on a honeybun during break.

For some reason, these never seem to be exotic or unavoidable conditions. We never hear a disability-related word out of the guy who uses a prosthetic from getting blown up in Afghanistan. He just carries on and adapts. Or from the type 1 diabetic gal who discretely ducks out to check her vitals and inject herself in private. She just monitors and takes care of hr condition.

*Sausage Fund Raiser Queen. I am sorry, but this is always a woman. Okay, it is one thing for people to set out a box, catalogue, folder or sign up sheet regarding their kid's school, church, or scouts fundraising project. Candy bar for a dollar, insert dollar bill here, get candy out of box, honor system = okay, not a problem. Candy is small, does not require refrigeration, and does not cause food poisoning.

But some real go-getter Mom (aunt, grandma, third cousin twice removed) always has to take it to the next level. "Don't you want to buy some Bxxx and Gxxx Sausage for Susie's team? It's really great sausage and her team needs the money to compete in the underwater basketball cheerleading competition in Outer Mongolia next year. Susie's counting on me, and I know you'll help by buying a case or two of it."

A month or two later, the break room refrigerator is filled up with semi-thawed, leaking tubes of sausage, so no one else can use the frig. Some sausage buyers are off on vacation, so the stuff sits there for weeks. OR Sausage Queen can't fit all the sausage into the one small frig, so she leaves a note: "If you bought Bxxx and Gxxx sausage, it's in an ice chest by the fourth locker in the maintenance room. If the electricians are working there, then I'll have the ice chest in the trunk of my car."

Old 10-16-2015, 06:25 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,296,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes i am and no they don't, if:

1. There is a disability that causes the person to arrive late.

2. An ADA request does not interfered with the ability to do their job or is a "hardship" for the company. This was a "no" on both counts.

As i said, the employers hired me into management to be on-call 24/7, happily and willingly, and then because i was sometimes late to the office (although every other person in management was also late, i would stay hours over, if needed, to make up any work i missed, and this was not a "shift job" so i was not relieving anyone) they fired me.

And although i never slept on the job, the ADA is *supposed to* also protect people who have a valid and documented legit medical reason to need such an accommodation.

There is an ADA act for a reason. Not all people w disabilities are in wheelchairs but i'm sure i would have been treated with much more respect if i was.

I'm familiar with the ADA, and I don't understand how potentially falling asleep on the job that you are paid to do is not a hardship for the company. Seriously, they don't pay you to sleep.

Did you seek recourse for an ADA violation when you were fired? If not, why not? If so, what was the outcome?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,209,130 times
There isn't enough room here or time to write about the unethical unprofessional losers I have had the displeasure of working with.
All I can say is get out as fast as you can from any company that is shady, does underhanded things routinely, covers up their own lack of integrity, etc.
That stuff weighs ya down.....
And honestly I don't want to be associated with such lowlifes - professionally or personally.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 AM

23,693 posts, read 24,255,973 times
I had one "jerk" that was assigned to officially "train" and "mentor" me and all he did was to throw me under the bus, behind my back, as he felt threatened by me. Jerk!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:59 PM

347 posts, read 427,189 times
Ah! MANY! But the worst was the unmedicated psychotic lunatic who would whip files at my face like a frisbee. She would intentionally whip them over the low counter and slam files down on my desk. I finally confronted her and asked what I ever did to her and why she was violent with me? She started yelling in my face that I wasn't working to her standards and I turned to walk away from her lunacy. She grabbed me, clawing my arm. I told her to get her hand off me. It escalated to the boss office who actually asked ME to apologize to her, after showing her my clawed arm!! I ended up walking out on this company and getting a better job with better salary. Sometimes the universe has a sharp way to help you change course.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:35 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,091,344 times
The worst for me was an insecure borderline personality manager. When I first entered her department she was okay, that is until she had me filing documents in each employee's personnel file. When opening her folder, right on top was documentation about her having been in a psychiatric hospital for severe depression (which was really no big deal as far as I was concerned). However, she knew I saw the paperwork and later that day removed it from her file.

From that point on she began treating me differently. She would constantly criticize anything I did, would rudely interrupt me in our departmental meetings and attempt to put me down in front of everyone.

She started her campaign of becoming a super friend to everyone in our department except me. She accused me of going over her head (which never happened).

Eventually my coworkers noticed the double standard and many began disliking her, and they were immediately added to her 'black list'.

Our company made a big deal out of workplace harassment, stating it was unacceptable to harass each other, mainly sexual comments. I asked one day about 'manager harassment' and was told there was no such thing. ??

Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,971,858 times
There are a few. The one who left early to take karate lessons and often went to the rest room for 15 minutes to take naps. But not as annoying as the one who kept complaining about all his personal problems, some of which happened several years ago. The one who played a radio, no earphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment