Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:18 AM

633 posts, read 642,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
I worked for Google as a rater (I was a Google Researcher and was invited by them) but it was a short term gig (I did it for 2.5 years and had to have a "lay off period" in between gigs.) I was paid $20 an hour for that.

Lionbridge will pay $14 and I think Appen the same. Appen is insanely brutal. I did their test and it was SO MUCH WORSE than Google ever was. I also worked for Lionbridge for 3 years and they were very good to me. But Appen, I would not bother with. I passed their tests but had a lot of problems with them responding to me in a timely manner and making sure I had what I needed to do the work properly. And it wasn't like I didn't know what I was doing since I'd already done it for 5.5 years successfully. But anyway.

I've worked online since 1999 and not MLM (I hate "opportunities" because they're so shady and always involve an up/downline and investment.)

I can PM you info on legit companies if you want.
No need to PM me, though the OP might want the info. I have a full time job that pays quite well, this is something i picked up on the side and just keep at the minimum required level per month for some extra disposable income. I've been doing it so long that the job is trivial- I would feel bad giving it up entirely. Not quite "money for nothing" but damned close at this point.

Agreed about Appen. They are very, very hard on their raters and there are strict time requirements and a half dozen metrics to hit, as opposed to 2-3 for LB. I know some people working for them at the moment, none of them consider it a better opportunity than LB or LF. Appen does have a transcription based job available as well that I know nothing about- it might be another option for the OP but how much they pay or the nature of the work is a complete mystery to me.

As for the pay, I know LB starts there but they do have a senior rater level that pays more. This is doled out based on performance (not time on the job!) and last I checked pays closer to the 18/hr level. i got a notification that I was under consideration for it a handful of times, but the effort required to consistently hit the level they're looking for there is absurd. I don't need that kind of stress.

edit: It's worth noting for anyone interested in this kind of work that Lionbridge and Leapforce are identical in the work they offer and what their raters are doing. Because of this LB and LF have been known to divide up the united states by territory, and LB will not hire raters living in states/areas that LF does and vice versa, in order to cut down on the number of people trying to work for both consecutively or at the same time.

So if you apply to one and hear nothing or are rejected outright, that might be why. Apply to the other.

double edit: might as well PM me the info. There's another forum i post on where this gets discussed a lot, I'd like to pass it along if I can.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 08-14-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 AM

270 posts, read 212,637 times
During this pandemic I started to sell things online through etsy starting with just 20 cent because it cost 20 cent to post. I started with just 1 item and now I have 20 items to sell. Slowly I'm getting orders but it's growing.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:40 PM

521 posts, read 294,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKelly View Post
You may have heard that people make thousands of dollars by buying and selling goods on Amazon Seller Central. While it may sound too good to be true, people are making money as Amazon FBA sellers.
After all, E-commerce has moved mainstream. Anyone with a computer and initiative can start their own website. That website becomes your e-commerce store. The website is your storefront.
I heard shipping cost can be an issue. If you want to sell you have to sell an expensive item to cover shipping cost because amazon shows lower shipping cost to customers.

I agree with you that selling stuff on amazon is a good idea though

Old 07-19-2020, 03:06 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,263,834 times
I'm on Survey Junkie. Believe me, don't quit your day job with that site, you won't make a ton of money, but it is a technically legit way to make a few bucks. Typically, I do surveys every month and withdrawal whatever I made that month on the last day and just throw it in my savings account.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:48 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,388,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertog23 View Post
Hey, this is a gray area for me, I always hear about people making money "online", and working from home or part time after they finish their real job. I was wondering what websites or techniques or skills will actually make you REAL money online, without making a investment that will be a waste of time and money. I pretty good on the computer will excel, access and other Microsoft programs. I am good with social media sites, sports and am Fairly knowledgeable on fiance and the stock market. If anyone knows ways to make money online or have legit websites! please share it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

If you want to test offering your services and see how that experience is for you if you want to go further, look at websites like fiverr.com.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:13 PM

12,796 posts, read 15,068,796 times
So it's now almost August 2020. Glad someone started posting here 5 yrs after the last person posted in this thread!

With many people not working due to COVID &/or not necessarily wanting to get out there to find another job due to either being afraid to catch COVID &/or having underlying health issues, it's tough. Unemployment only lasts so long, which I hope it keeps going for a LONG, LONG, LONG time.

But, I've got to start seeing what I can do online! I live in California & so, so many companies who hire those to work from home don't hire residents of my state. We have different labor laws, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
During this pandemic I started to sell things online through etsy starting with just 20 cent because it cost 20 cent to post. I started with just 1 item and now I have 20 items to sell. Slowly I'm getting orders but it's growing.
God for you on taking the BIG step to starting! Many people keep procrastinating & say they'll start, but never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKelly View Post
Good idea, honestly, I like people like you (different). I left the usual thing a long time ago and started making money online. I have a flexible schedule and I'm the only boss on my own. I wake up when I want and start working whenever I want, and the income I have depends entirely on me. I tried to make money using Amazon. If anyone is still interested in how it is possible to make money, then you can read an article about it on https://yourmoneygeek.com/retail-arbitrage/
Thanks for posting the article. I've printed it out & will read it. I've got to start something here!

Old 07-28-2020, 12:00 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

But, I've got to start seeing what I can do online! I live in California & so, so many companies who hire those to work from home don't hire residents of my state. We have different labor laws, unfortunately.

God for you on taking the BIG step to starting! Many people keep procrastinating & say they'll start, but never do.

California is supposed to be the land of opportunity though. That's odd. Well it's worse here. I can't find anything online. My state is often listed as excluded.

I listed a few things online but I gave up because they never sold so I wonder what even the point is although I don't throw any of those things away either they just sit there. After not being able to sell the magazine rack I know it's me because it's a nice magazine rack (that I did unfortunately give away)

Old 07-28-2020, 12:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,394,308 times
I would guess that if you are skilled at CAD and mechanical engineering you could do consulting design work - you'd have to visit clients but most of the job would be at home in front of the screen. I have ideas of doing that as I shade into retirement. Similarly if you're an expert at board layout, with Mentor Graphics or DX Designer or equivalent.

Most of this other stuff sounds like door to door jewelry sales to me, honestly.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:41 AM

12,796 posts, read 15,068,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
California is supposed to be the land of opportunity though. That's odd. Well it's worse here. I can't find anything online. My state is often listed as excluded...
California's excluded 99.9% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would guess that if you are skilled at CAD and mechanical engineering you could do consulting design work - you'd have to visit clients but most of the job would be at home in front of the screen. I have ideas of doing that as I shade into retirement. Similarly if you're an expert at board layout, with Mentor Graphics or DX Designer or equivalent.

Most of this other stuff sounds like door to door jewelry sales to me, honestly.
I don't know squat about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment