Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:44 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,798,452 times

Advertisements

in this situation now, started a new gig and don't quite like it. The pace is super slow (i'm used to being quite busy), lack of team engagement - colleagues don't even say Hi or reach out so working in total isolation, manager is always MIA and takes days to respond to any question, no clarity on what needs to be done, total lack of any sort of onboarding on job details/roles/responsibilities

worst job i've held in my 25 year career... however pay and benefits are the best i've ever had and the key reason I joined here, the pay is fantastic

is it worth it just for the money? well, i'll decided to give it 6 months since I rolled the dice now anyway, I think it's best to give it at least a fair shake before cutting your losses and moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:50 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
in this situation now, started a new gig and don't quite like it. The pace is super slow (i'm used to being quite busy), lack of team engagement - colleagues don't even say Hi or reach out so working in total isolation, manager is always MIA and takes days to respond to any question, no clarity on what needs to be done, total lack of any sort of onboarding on job details/roles/responsibilities

worst job i've held in my 25 year career... however pay and benefits are the best i've ever had and the key reason I joined here, the pay is fantastic

is it worth it just for the money? well, i'll decided to give it 6 months since I rolled the dice now anyway, I think it's best to give it at least a fair shake before cutting your losses and moving on.

Good luck. I can't believe how old this thread is! lol

Old 06-03-2022, 10:56 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,312,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
in this situation now, started a new gig and don't quite like it. The pace is super slow (i'm used to being quite busy)....

Are we are on the same project LOL. I hung in for 6 months and it never got better. Put in my 2 week notice this week and am so glad to be leaving.

Last edited by Variable; 06-03-2022 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 10:59 AM

23,561 posts, read 24,082,840 times
Usually about 1-2 months, although I’ve been at new positions and realized “the fit” was not there after about 1-2 weeks.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:59 AM

1,093 posts, read 582,816 times
As others have said, it's going to depend heavily on your situation. I'm in complete agreement with those who said life is too short to be unhappy at work, especially given how much time we spend there.

I am another who anticipates being in the job market within the year. I started at my current job in January 2021. I took the job because it was my first offer after a year unemployed, but I went in biased against it because it was a step down in every way from what I had before. Despite being a solid company overall with many good people, they did nothing in the first year to change my mind about wanting to stay long-term.

Then on my first anniversary week, my boss quit with almost no notice and the chaos ratcheted up quite a bit after that. That was five months ago and the dust is far from settled. The only two reasons I haven't started actively looking yet are:

1. I have tentative vacation plans for September and desperately need to get away (last real vacation was pre-pandemic). If I change jobs now, I can't do that.

2. I need to be absolutely sure my next job is one I really want to stay at long-term. I do not want to become a job hopper. I really need to do some serious research before applying anywhere, and that stresses me out.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,117,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Personally, 2 years. The first year is always the worst because you are trying to learn the position and get all the way through a full cycle. That leaves the second year to actually do the job, improve the processes, assess the culture and how you fit within it and your team, and decide if it is a good fit.

Or, less than a month. If you take a new position and immediately see that they have misrepresented your duties or the company, or the management style is toxic, or whatever that is immediately apparent, then find something new right away (or go back to old), and leave this position off of your resume entirely.
Same here.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:15 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,083,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
1. I have tentative vacation plans for September and desperately need to get away (last real vacation was pre-pandemic). If I change jobs now, I can't do that.
Any decent company should be able to accommodate a pre-planned vacation when hiring someone. Just be upfront about it during the interview process.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:12 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
How long do you give a new job till you realize it's not working out?

I personally don't view jobs that way (unless it's some fun job that I may just be doing for fun so it doesn't matter & I've got other ongoing jobs, etc.), but to answer your question, I'd say a full month is fair to see if you really like a job or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment