Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM

350 posts, read 656,057 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm a senior level COBOL programmer who knows SQL/DB2 and can code in VB and use Visual Studio. I've been looking for awhile now for a remote position 1) so I can live closer to an aging parent, 2) I get much more done working at my home office.

With all of the tools available now to keep in touch, be 'at' meetings etc., you would think working remotely would be common, but I am not finding this to be so - not just in my field but in others that would lend themselves to it. Any ideas on why telecommuting hasn't really caught on? Insights appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,628,215 times
The things you program in are industry that needs people at the office?

Don't know what those coding skills are useful in, in terms of industry, does one language do better than another in specific industries?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 PM

322 posts, read 386,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Hi all,
I'm a senior level COBOL programmer who knows SQL/DB2 and can code in VB and use Visual Studio. I've been looking for awhile now for a remote position 1) so I can live closer to an aging parent, 2) I get much more done working at my home office.

With all of the tools available now to keep in touch, be 'at' meetings etc., you would think working remotely would be common, but I am not finding this to be so - not just in my field but in others that would lend themselves to it. Any ideas on why telecommuting hasn't really caught on? Insights appreciated.
I would love to have a remote position, as I would: 1) Be in a much better mood having cut out the daily frustrations of battling idiots on the highway, 2) Have a much better work/life balance and be able to flex my working hours, and 3) Reduce my CO2 footprint from reduced gasoline usage. Having said that, it's really not about me in this employment market. I've seen more positions being pulled "back in house" than going remote these days. I have several friends who have lost their remote abilities as a result of management wanting more folks to be in the office.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM

23,919 posts, read 24,505,972 times
I also find that it depends on the company culture. Here in Silicon Valley, it's pretty accepted to work remotely, at least part of the time, for some positions.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,798,959 times
Anecdotal knowledge and about one larger employer. ... I know of a woman who works remotely writing in COBOL for a very aged mainframe operating system for a large publicly traded company that has about 8K employees all over the US. This company is over 50 years old or so. The COBOL programmer probably has worked for this same employer roughly 20 years or so. Basically what happened is her office relocated to another state. Because of her insider knowledge of their customized operating system and decades-old programs that they run on AS400, the company kept her on as a 100% remote employee so she didn't have to relocate.

Although, I am taking a wild guess, I would imagine whenever she is replaced in the future, the new COBOL programmer hire will be required to be in the office probably near full-time. Personally, I know this particular employer is anti-work from home. They are old school, so that is the general attitude of their management.

To the OP, have you tried applying to government positions? I know the feds are more pro-teleworking than "some" older companies that still use primarily mainframes.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:15 AM

35,356 posts, read 31,806,426 times
The barriers against WFH are not technological for most folks now - they are cultural. I work in a position that could be done 100% remotely, and while I do enjoy talking to coworkers, I'd much rather live somewhere else working remotely than living here in central Indiana.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,210,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Hi all,

I think it's typically easier to transition to remote work after some time with the company than starting as a remote employee.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,798,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I think it's typically easier to transition to remote work after some time with the company than starting as a remote employee.
This. I think this is still often the case at many companies. You work in the office for a while, and then later on, after your work is known, you may get to work remotely. At some companies, the ability to work from home (or not) is at the discretion of your direct manager.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:54 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,268,761 times
Many companies will allow limited WFH, subject to the two great obstacles of remote working: (1) a full day's work gets done and "socialized" (communication is key) as fast or faster as on-site and (2) it doesn't cause significant grumbling among the non-WFH employees. Do not underestimate that second item. Managers want to be perceived as fair, and they do not want lots of disgruntled people causing waves in the office when a few people are invisibly working remotely.

WFH is technically achievable almost anywhere, but I have noticed that the countervailing trend (everyone in the office 5 days per week) has been dominant at least since the 2008 recession. We have had to limit WFH to seasoned (10+ year) veterans, when lots of new hires pushing for this perq devolved into total radio silence when they were not in the office. Basically, they didn't understand that part of their job is managing the perception of colleagues through constant communication of the ongoing work. That means texts and e-mails plus phone and meeting presence throughout the day to all teammates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment