Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,843,218 times

Advertisements

So my current job I am dying to get out of. I suffered from the grass is always greener syndrome, and looking back I see what a great career I had at my previous company.

My previous company I essentially built the role. It was a brand new role and there was no structure to it, so I essentially built it. I know it like the back of my hand. When I left I gave 1.5 month notice to make sure they had someone to replace me and I could train them. I left on WONDERFUL terms. They didn't want me to leave and told me to please come back if I ever wanted to. I was one of the top performers where I was essentially given three raises in a period of 2.5 years based just on merit and I wasn't even client facing! I got along with everyone really well and the CEO, I was one of his favorites. This is a company of 1,000+ employees. Basically (and not trying to be conceited) I was really loved and did great work. Since then I have always kept in contact with colleagues there seeing how they are doing and even getting an article published for them from my current job. I have only been gone from that job for 1 year.

When I left I was replaced by someone who actually destroyed the role. Apparently he was a bit psychotic and everyone HATED him. He caused a lot of chaos and the people who reported to him (previously to me and they all loved me) all quit. He was fired after being there only six months and left a path of destruction. He caused a lot of drama.

Now they are looking to fill in the role again. HR informed me that the role is open and once the role was approved by the CEO, it was sent to me right away for me to apply to, but has not been posted on any job boards yet. So essentially I am the only applicant that has it. They asked me for my resume and I sent it to them and I have an interview today with the hiring manager. The person who is the hiring manager, we worked together and she really likes me as a coworker. We have a good relationship.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get this job back. Has anyone had any similar experiences? What do you think of my chances? I don't want to appear too overconfident but would love to hear of others in similar situations.

Last edited by UrbanCheetah; 06-17-2015 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,858,189 times
I haven't had an experience like that but best of luck to you, I hope you get it!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM

359 posts, read 479,311 times
I have seen this in my company. Somebody left for a new job that ended up being much worse and she was back here within a couple of months. So, this sort of thing can happen. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM

765 posts, read 991,384 times
Hold up why do you want to leave the company you are currently working at?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,603,557 times
Try to get a nice pay increase if you go back. Shoot for 15-20%% more than what you made before or 15-20% more than what you are making now. You can always go down.

Also if you want perks, such as work-from-home 2 or 3 days per week, every week, then negotiate that also.

Also if you want extra vacation instead of 1 of the above options. Asking for all 3 of these is probably being greedy. But heck, it's worth a try.

------

I returned to prior jobs before. Once I got a 25% pay increase after being gone only 1 year! Another time I got 100% telecommute when returning (was only person on team allowed to do this).

Just don't tell them that the only way you will come back is if they give you these perks. Instead, stay focused on the job and job duties. But ask if they can do $xxx when money is discussed. Just ask if they can and then stay silent and wait to see what they can do.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Hold up why do you want to leave the company you are currently working at?
It's a startup and three main reasons: 1. the founder is a psycho, we have had two people quit in the last two weeks (we are very small company) 2. The company is failing, we are not bringing in any revenue at all 3. I am being paid 50% of what I should be paid.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 AM

765 posts, read 991,384 times
Yup startups are terrible places to work for I can understand why
Urban Cheetah nothing wrong with asking for your old job back

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Yup startups are terrible places to work for I can understand why
Urban Cheetah nothing wrong with asking for your old job back
Yeah the last startup I will ever work for unless it's my own. Yeah hopefully they want me back!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,748,634 times
You've been trying to get out of your current toxic situation for quite a while, so I wish you the best of luck.

The only other thing I'd like to suggest is that if you go back, you don't discuss any problems brought on by the previous person and how you have to clean up the mess, etc. Be humble and be quiet, otherwise you'll find the attitudes of those around you will go from 'glad you're back' to 'okay, you're the savior and we're tired of hearing about it' overnight.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You've been trying to get out of your current toxic situation for quite a while, so I wish you the best of luck.

The only other thing I'd like to suggest is that if you go back, you don't discuss any problems brought on by the previous person and how you have to clean up the mess, etc. Be humble and be quiet, otherwise you'll find the attitudes of those around you will go from 'glad you're back' to 'okay, you're the savior and we're tired of hearing about it' overnight.
Thanks! Yeah that job I was interviewing for I didn't get. But then this door opened.

I totally agree, I am not going to even mention that guy. If anything I am going to be super humble. This has all been a learning experience and let them know that I made a mistake, not one that I regret, because it has given me a new perspective and made me value even more what I had before. And it really is the truth.

Yeah this place is toxic. So we were four employees. One employee gave their notice last week, the other one is going to next week and hopefully soon I will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment