Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It's not just fast. They seem accommodating. They asked me when I get off work on Thursday. I said 4. They said will I be able to meet at 5? I said yes. She also said if I can't make it then tell her and she can reschedule it.
That is the normal course of business at established firms who understand that hiring is a two way street - the candidate evaluates the firm as much as the firm evaluates the candidate.

As per the speed of the process, let me share my experience. A third party vendor emailed me about a job at a Fortune 25 corporation. I called him back and he scheduled an interview with the hiring manager the next day. The interview was alright and I was expecting few additional rounds, which is typical for senior perm roles. The recruiter called me the day after the interview and offered me the job. It all happened within 48 hours. So things do happen fast if the firm likes the candidate and they need one asap.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, another story, this time with a big 4 consulting firm. They interviewed me 7 times over 5 months, maybe 6 months (it was some 7 years ago). After the 7 interviews, they did my background checks, drug test, etc. and when they were about to extend the offer letter, the positon got cancelled due to market condition (2008 market crash)!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,119,508 times
To be honest, I'm weirded out partially because I totally do not fit the job requirement. Their job posting said at least 7 years experience in this line of work. I've only got 3.5. My boyfriend told me to send in my resume anyway, so I modified my resume to this position. At the top of the resume I even put down 3 years experience in this field so there's no misunderstanding.Surely, they got hundreds of candidates to look through before me with like 15-20 years experience.

I guess I'm just scared.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
Nice people don't scare you? They scare the hell out of me.
Stop.

Don't let your uninformed assumptions hold you back.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,730 times
I would count yourself lucky. As far as I've seen, Engineering grads seem to always have extremely good job prospects and get offers quickly. This doesn't seem out of the ordinary based on my engineering acquaintances own job search experiences.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 PM

595 posts, read 677,789 times
Quote:
To be honest, I'm weirded out partially because I totally do not fit the job requirement. Their job posting said at least 7 years experience in this line of work. I've only got 3.5....
I work for a Fortune 50 company. Many times our job requirements are outlandish. Of course we'd love to get someone with 15+ years experience who knows every single technology ever invented, but those people are not always looking when you're hiring. And if they are that qualified, they often have high salary demands. On several occasions, we've had to pass on great applicants because salary expectations are out of line. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting months and months to find that perfect candidate. Projects might be in flight and you need to fill that role soon. In some instances, if a job req is open too long, someone above might decide you don't need that head count. There are a lot of factors that come into play.

Take pride in their interest in you. Perhaps you have some unique experience or skillset that meets their need. Either way, take the interview. At the very least, you will learn something about that company and gain valuable interview experience. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,893 times
A call from a corporate recruiter on Tuesday, interview with hiring manager at Wednesday, job offer at Thursday from a huge corporation. It can be very fast sometimes.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
OP, after reading your post in this other thread (see post #5), I have to say I can't figure out why you even sent your resume. Because your boyfriend suggested it? Not a good reason to change jobs. And you sound like one of the few lucky ones who truly enjoys their job.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,850,742 times
Make sure someone you trust knows where you are going and who you are going to see and if you don't call them by seven they call out the mounties. Way too many people have gone on interviews and ended up in a bathtub of ice without a kidney or other vital organ.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,182,097 times
Quote:
To be honest, I'm weirded out partially because I totally do not fit the job requirement. Their job posting said at least 7 years experience in this line of work. I've only got 3.5. My boyfriend told me to send in my resume anyway, so I modified my resume to this position. At the top of the resume I even put down 3 years experience in this field so there's no misunderstanding.Surely, they got hundreds of candidates to look through before me with like 15-20 years experience.

I guess I'm just scared.
Not necessarily. I don't know your background but, as an EE with 20 years under his belt, I can honestly tell you that most of us are employed and not looking to make a move to a "7 year" position. As someone who has been involved with the hiring process on many occasions, you would be surprised at how many resume submittals we don't get.

Good companies will make you feel welcome. Don't be afraid of that. Some companies actually realize that the hiring process is a 2 way street. They don't have to hire you and you don't have to work for them. However, a company will attract and retain the interest of the best candidates when they make the hiring process efficient and expedient.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:59 AM

733 posts, read 854,434 times
Quote:
I've been working for an engineering for in the past few years. Last week I sent in resume to a much bigger company. This new one is a multinational one with revenue in the billions. Ok, here's how its been going.

Sent in resume last Wednesday. Got email from hiring manager on Friday telling me to expect a call from recruiter. Got email from recruiter on Sunday. Got phone interview on Monday. Today (Tuesday) got call saying hiring manager wants to interview in person this Thursday.

I'm a little weirded out at how fast its going. Isn't it the case that huge companies take forever to call you back? They got 10k engineers world wide.

Depends on the HR department, depends on who is above the HR department. We treat our engineering candidates like gold, because good ones are so difficult to secure.

They really, really want to interview you. Clearly favorable towards you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment