Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
First off, get over yourself.

Secondly, there may be many, many hours of preparation that go into each pick, but that doesn't it doesn't still remain a crapshoot. Tom Brady in the 6th, decent bust rate in the 1st round, all the Jerry Rices coming from Mississippi Valley States of the world that you could never hope to correctly peg, etc etc. Too early to list Johnny Manziel in the first as anecdotal evidence of the flaws of the draft process? I don't think so...and you could of course argue that hindsight shouldn't be the gauge, anyway. If that's so, well, that pick was a good example of one that most preparation-free fans would've never made at the time, due to obvious question marks. This said, hindsight does tend to be the measure, and given that reality, no sport's drafting track record is especially impressive. At least the Oakland A's (and their now-many imitators) try to make it a bit more "scientific", but even in the most highly quantified-and-quantifiable sport (baseball), you still run into issues with projectability of college/HS stats, weighing stats vs. physical tools and opinions of scouts, etc.

In addition to what Anfield said, there have been more general psychological studies done which suggest that sometimes a surfeit of information hinders our decision-making ability, anyway. Paralysis by analysis.

Bottom line, dice rolls abound in life, and whether the place of employment is the NFL or the accounting firm, similar caveats apply to both.
The bottom line is A) I'm awesome and B) The hiring process is NOTHING like the NFL draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The bottom line is A) I'm awesome and B) The hiring process is NOTHING like the NFL draft.
The bottom line is A) you're not as great as you think and B) if you read the analysis on here, you would see that hiring people is a LOT like a draft because you really never know what you've got, until you've got it.

And let me echo mrcnkwcz: GET OVER YOUSELF. Please. And do it quickly.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Maybe I'm in the wrong industry but it's been my experience that HR doesn't have much say in the matter beyond the initial screen. A screen determined by the hiring manager.

I just went to the final round in the interviewing process at a major bank. It involved taking an IQ like test and case interviews. I thought the HR professionals were kind and professional. They called as opposed to emailing me that they weren't going to extend an offer. Even though i didn't get the offer I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

Conversely I had a recruiter contact me recently to setup an initial call, times rolls by no call (this has never happened to me), she called back to reschedule and then when I called back to confirm the time never responded back. I thus have a poor view of the company which has been confirmed by a classmate that used to work there.

It's the companies that are the problem not necessarily HR.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,300,376 times
Hiring ones that have good attendance at previous jobs is a good place to start. Hiring people that constantly call in sick, or find ways to use up all their sick and/or FMLA time lowers morale when other people have to cover their hours.

I pretty much have perfect attendance though I admit to not liking to work overtime if I can avoid it. People always pretty much know I will be there if I am scheduled. That's a good starting point. People like that will be more likely to be reliable performers.

Also: people who think they are awesome and are irreplaceable are annoying. In the end we are all monkeys and anyone can learn our job. Hiring people who have some modesty and don't have super large egos ... do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment