Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,145,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My contractor guy subs out his big drywall work, though he can do it as a master carpenter. If you don't consider drywall installer a skilled trade then I urge you to be very cautious if you ever have to hire one! I guess because you don't really have to be licensed and/or certified?
My grandfather was a general contractor and a master carpenter same with my father. My father went to trade school and was a skilled tradesman at General Motors for 30 yrs. I know what to look for in hireing a drywall hanger or any other trade. I know all the trades I have worked with all of them by helping my grandfather on jobs he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM

696 posts, read 910,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There is no prize for winning the race to the bottom.
There certainly is for those at the top .

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,541,197 times
Engineers..

We are no longer anything but responsible educated versions of skilled tradesmen that 30 years ago needed nothing more than a high school degree.

Avg. wage for a starting engineer in 2014 was the lowest it's ever been. I have routinely seen jobs requiring a BSME offering 55k-65k. Contracting engineering is the hot new thing. The company says ' hey we have this thing at its really complex, lets hire a bunch of engineers smart enough to pull it off pay them 85k for 1 year, push them so hard they get it done in 5 months and then we put them back into the job market."

Or a company says "ISO says we have to have an engineer to certify quality of our wigets, let's find a recently graduated sucker willing to sit in a flourescent lighted room with a caliper, mic, a computer, and a CMM and give them a fancy title like lead quality engineer and pay them 45k/ yr with promise of better pay that never comes."

Engineers are sooo underutilized these days because automation is so prevelant in the field that the computer does all the calculations we spent 4 year of math in college to do. The only folks who their skills anymore are the R and D folks and not really them either. Everyone else in the field is essentialy a parts integrator or paper pusher.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
I'm an engineer and we employ all disciplines here and my company is not hiring.

I just talked to a nurse who said they got 40+ applications for a recent job opening.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:50 PM

29,937 posts, read 25,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Engineers..

We are no longer anything but responsible educated versions of skilled tradesmen that 30 years ago needed nothing more than a high school degree.

Avg. wage for a starting engineer in 2014 was the lowest it's ever been. I have routinely seen jobs requiring a BSME offering 55k-65k. Contracting engineering is the hot new thing. The company says ' hey we have this thing at its really complex, lets hire a bunch of engineers smart enough to pull it off pay them 85k for 1 year, push them so hard they get it done in 5 months and then we put them back into the job market."

Or a company says "ISO says we have to have an engineer to certify quality of our wigets, let's find a recently graduated sucker willing to sit in a flourescent lighted room with a caliper, mic, a computer, and a CMM and give them a fancy title like lead quality engineer and pay them 45k/ yr with promise of better pay that never comes."

Engineers are sooo underutilized these days because automation is so prevelant in the field that the computer does all the calculations we spent 4 year of math in college to do. The only folks who their skills anymore are the R and D folks and not really them either. Everyone else in the field is essentialy a parts integrator or paper pusher.
Met plenty of those engineers. Had to teach them how to convert standard to metric. Had to teach them how to read metric calipers. These are 4 year BSME grads. Somethings is very wrong with that.

It's no wonder we have exploding air bags killing people. What a joke.

Companies are hopelessly lost when it comes to securing the right workers. Training them? Lol, and pollute the talent pool even more? They have nothing to offer. That's what they hire people to do. Uh oh...

By the way, the company I work for had 2 skilled tradesman walk off the job last week. I mean walk off, with hot work ready to go. ID/OD grinding doesn't pay crap. Good luck filling those vacancies... And the kids today aren't going to learn that stuff when experienced workers are getting offers for 12 bucks an hour. Those are barely apprentice wages.

45K for engineers? I made that 4 years ago on straight time. Disgusting.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM

102 posts, read 245,007 times
Not surprised to see nursing on there. It's a good job but you have to wipe people, place catheters, and disimpact rectums, among many other disgusting things.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
If you're paying a teenage babysitter 17 bucks an hour, you're getting fleeced even more than the rest of us
Maybe, maybe not. In your city, the median home value according to Zillow is $61,500. Where I live, it's $641,800. I'm not paying 10 times what you are for babysitters.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
People aren't even getting paid that much in NYC...

Plenty of jobs for secretaries are posted---they want you to have skills, experience and a college degree---all for the great pay of $12/hour, no benefits and the joy of living in one of the most expensive cities in the country and barely getting by.

As for the list, it's a joke as most of them are.
Well, when I had a secretary in NYC I was paying her $103,000 plus benefits totaling 40% of base. I didn't set the salaries, the HR department did. My secretary had 32 years experience which accounts for the high salary but she could barely use a computer. She had a lot of institutional knowledge and memory, however,

When we hired new people we paid around $50,000 and they couldn't do anything. Work out the math, that's $25 an hour and we were getting almost nothing for it.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 PM

10,091 posts, read 7,295,153 times
When it comes to teaching - it's not everywhere. My town is a "hip-cool-trendy" place to be with a bunch of white yuppies from the Bay Area moving in wearing North Face jackets and driving housing costs absurdly high. EVERYONE and their mother who has a teaching cert. applies to any opening in our school district - up to 200 apps per opening. We've got a bunch of white yuppie kids with parents who have college degrees and that's the best kind of school to work for.

Drive 50 minutes north to the next county and that school district is desperate. There are several factors at work - 1) their kids are hard to work with (lots of Hispanics, language issues mostly, some crime) so people don't want to teach there if they have options. 2) They pay crap - people WOULD teach out there but for $55K a year, not $35K. 3) They don't have a lot of degreed people in their local area to draw upon and the town is not exactly an attractive destination. 4) The teachers that do go see it as a stepping stone to a better district so they bail in 2-5 years, creating constant turnover.

My experience from the other side of hiring is that there is a huge mismatch in expectations vs. what's out there. Unrealistic and unreasonable expectations. So much so that people will declare a search failed and start over from scratch because they want the perfect resume AND for that person to be charismatic, likable and have the perfect answers to the b.s. interview questions that are asked.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-20-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 PM

604 posts, read 276,793 times
Pretty sure the list was a list of "top ten jobs where people are (generally) making too much money; please flood these markets to bring the wages down. Thanks!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment