Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM

733 posts, read 854,284 times

Advertisements

Job hop! Most of the poor things are lucky to get ONE job - they can only dream of "hopping" -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:27 PM

210 posts, read 246,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Job hop! Most of the poor things are lucky to get ONE job - they can only dream of "hopping" -
True

Old 05-06-2015, 03:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I got out of the navy in 1999 and have had 7 full time positions since then. No one ever questioned job hopping.
There are exceptions to everything.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Normally I wouldn't agree with job hopping but since you never know when a company will layoff employees or reduce salaries it makes sense to always be focused on the next move.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,936 times
I regret not job hopping.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
There is no real loyalty in the workplace today, no pensions, no real reason to stick around any longer until you find something better. Have the employers competing for you rather than the other way around.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
I've seen too many people laid off with little to no notice, people with mortgages and families tossed aside like old furniture, to not always be looking for the next opportunity. Its not ideal but its just the way it is if you want upward mobility and real salary increases. The idea of loyalty in todays job market seems a bit silly to me, businesses are always looking for ways to streamline to maximize profits, which can result in cutting human resources, yet employees are expected to give blood and soul to the employer for meager 1% annual increases( if lucky) and the work of 3 heaped on you? Does not compute....

Old 07-22-2016, 01:40 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
There is no real loyalty in the workplace today, no pensions, no real reason to stick around any longer until you find something better. Have the employers competing for you rather than the other way around.
Not only is there little to no loyalty, there is little to no service for the most part, companies have cut their workforce and pocketed the difference at our expense. I certainly don't blame today's workers for their views of the workplace being a punishing experience, low pay, long hours, little benefits, and no security, no matter what..I always walked after asking for a raise and being refused. Better money is only available to those who can go to another job with relative ease, many have a wall of sameness to overcome, for the reason that their companies are getting together for the purpose of squelching higher wages while holding on prices.

This, from the Buzbee law site:
"Price-fixing cases are fairly common. And there's an interesting one going on now in New York over whether executives from the two giant auction companies, Christie's and Sotheby's, agreed to fix commissions and eliminate discounts. But it's fairly rare for companies to end up in court over another type of antitrust complaint -- getting together to fix wages and benefits. And that is just as illegal.

Earlier this month, more than a dozen offshore oil drilling firms in Houston agreed to settle a wage-fixing case for $75 million. The firms allegedly fixed the wages and benefits of 60,000 laborers over three decades."

We hear a lot about the slacker worker, the terribleness of the proposed fifteen dollars an hour wage, the notion that we need to return to the "old days" of rugged independence", all of these finger wagging admonishments are the work of corporate shills who will obviously benefit by gaining the public's trust and approval, all the while pushing workers down to levels below that which will suffice for the regions cost of living..

Old 07-22-2016, 01:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,604 times
I'm 23, graduated 18 months ago and have been lucky enough to find the job that matches my degree - IT.

Fortunately my employer is very reasonable, flexible and willing to improve/expand my skillsets in line with their own requirements via training courses with the likes of Microsoft, HP, Symantec & Huewei.

I'm only a junior and thus the money isn't brilliant. However, there are opportunities to grow and climb the career ladder. And as such I don't feel obligated to look elsewhere, when I have everything i need for my own career right here.

As a consequence I consider myself fortunate: my one and only job is the job I wanted. Thus I could be here for another 3 or 4 years until I have learnt all I need and want to explore new things. But I also need to exploit the opportunity of getting hands-on experience and training courses while I can - businesses are more concerned about the bottom line, so I could find myself out of a job in an instant.

But for the moment, this Millennial isn't going anywhere soon

Old 07-22-2016, 02:41 PM

1,104 posts, read 920,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
How can you afford not to job hop in today's job environment.
Exactly this. Your prospects, skills and experience are very desirable to employers if you're a "job hopper", whether you are young or more mature. And if you're really worth it, your thirst for a stable employer will give you a good chance of finding one.

As for company loyalty, does you boss spend time with your team, talking about nothing and sharing jokes? Do they review you honestly and share goals and objectives? Or do they hide away in an office on the other side of the floor and redirect you to distant HR departments whenever you have a problem.

If you're really smart, you will be reviewing your resume and looking on job boards on a fairly regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment