Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:02 AM

214 posts, read 140,587 times

Advertisements

If you hear the word Primerica.....run, just run. Read their annual reports (online). Over 1,375,000 have come and left their system since 2010, after having paid their entry fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,436,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
We just had a visit from a Kirby salesman last night...at 6 PM on a Sunday. Very weird experience. Guy pulled up to our curb in a very nice looking Lincoln SUV, and proceeded to thrust a packet of Tide cleaning product into my hand. He asked if I'd heard of "the lavaliere" or something like that. I said no, as I had no idea what he was talking about. He came back with a vacuum ("Kirby" on the box) and wanted to give me a demo. I said, "No sorry, we're just finishing dinner and I'm not interested." I thrust the Tide product back into his hand and he left.

So glad I didn't let him in...there was someone else driving the SUV. My wife looked online later, and found out one of their "tricks" is that the driver will take off right after the salesperson gets into your house, and then sometimes take literally hours to come back and pick up the sales person. So all this time you have this guy trying to sell you an overpriced vacuum and you feel obligated to keep talking to them because their ride hasn't come back yet. What a scam.
LMAO we had a Kirby sales kid show up to our house a few months ago. I am very well informed on this business model from youtube insider videos and the like. However there was one thing I needed to do just to see the reaction on his face. I fully opened my front door to show him our tile and laminate floors. There isnt one square foot of carpet in my house. He just stood there for a few seconds trying to process it.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,436,928 times
Most of these schemes are very well designed by sales minded people way in advance of them being deployed. Every possible angle and market from hook lines and target demographics is studied. Essentially it comes down to:

Offering a product, say vitamins.
Identifying your salesforce (yes you are a salesman not an "owner of your own business"
Convincing people that you can make easy money on the side (this works for certain demographics)
Convincing people they can quit their J.O.B. and retire in 5 years (this works on other demographics)
Sell training materials (the actual source of revenue...the dark secret in amway)
Hold seminars with very well rehearsed and studied brainwashing formula
Use pressure tactics and convince salesforce that failure is due to their lack of trying/believing
Motivational crap EVERYWHERE

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,973,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbelt View Post
If you hear the word Primerica.....run, just run. Read their annual reports (online). Over 1,375,000 have come and left their system since 2010, after having paid their entry fee.
Just as a side note. Primerica isn't a pyramid company. It's just not for everyone. I will say this. There are many people who started there and went on to make some very good incomes.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,408,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Just as a side note. Primerica isn't a pyramid company. It's just not for everyone. I will say this. There are many people who started there and went on to make some very good incomes.
It's basically MLM but structured differently. I was "interviewed" by one of their personnel years ago. It finished with this woman asking me for my credit card number for "training materials." I passed and was glad I did.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,805,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I recently got back into the job hunting market, and almost forgot how many of these bogus pyramid schemes are out there targeting the naive, and recent college graduates. Usually they are easy to decipher with their misleading job titles and descriptions on job sites including Career Builder, Zip Recruiter, and Monster. They usually advertise themselves as either marketing agencies or financial brokerages that no one has ever heard of.
Reminds me of the time a company was pushing a small box of books for $20 you had to go around and put out samples and collect the orders and money. One guy I knew did this, every day he'd get 20-30 samples then go and party...On the weekend, he went to a flea market and sold them all and KEPT THE CASH and reported "No sales" it took them 3 weeks before they told him "Get lost" but he had sold all of those damn books for free and no criminal charges.....

I think he'd sold about 300 or so....$6K.....Back in 1989....Damn...

Old 01-21-2016, 11:50 AM

17,345 posts, read 15,516,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
lol Yeah my wife has fallen for that essential oil crap. I figure if I can waste money on beer she can waste some money on that stuff. Seems harmless enough. Luckily she's never brought up becoming a sales person.
My wife recently started buying Herbalife

I gave her my opinion, told her it was BS... Hopefully she soon realizes that I'm correct.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:51 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,718,762 times
I am surprise and impress these door to door (pyramid schemes) still exist in this day and age of Amazon. If I wanted Amway product or Avon or Mary Kay, I can just go online and order. How are these still successful.

I work for a supplier that provides raw material to many direct sale company & I am surprise how large those business are and how many years they were able to survive.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,778,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My wife recently started buying Herbalife

I gave her my opinion, told her it was BS... Hopefully she soon realizes that I'm correct.
I fell for a vitamin MLM-selling scam, similar to Herbalife, some years back from answering a job ad in between jobs. I lost a few hundred dollars willingly buying inventory to get in a higher "level" in the MLM scam by charging it on my credit card. After several months, I sold just a little of the product and had to give most of it away or sell it it at a loss. Personally, I know I am horrible at sales. I will never try selling anything again. It was an expensive lesson for me, others had told me not to get into MLM.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:34 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,740,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am surprise and impress these door to door (pyramid schemes) still exist in this day and age of Amazon. If I wanted Amway product or Avon or Mary Kay, I can just go online and order. How are these still successful.

I work for a supplier that provides raw material to many direct sale company & I am surprise how large those business are and how many years they were able to survive.
I agree, kind of hard to imagine how anyone could fall for these pyramid and pyramid like schemes these days, but these companies continue to exist.

It's no surprise a lot of these companies have expanded overseas, since many Americans have caught onto the ***. But desperate people will always be vulnerable no matter what nationality.

In the early 90's when I was in the Navy, a few guys were involved with Amway. Even back then Amway had a bad rep, and one of the things they told you was not to mention Amway when first prospecting for suckers, excuse me, I meant prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment