Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,231,675 times

Advertisements

I work in the marketing department for a professional services company. Each employee works on several client accounts (I work on 4).

One of my clients has a conference coming up later this year. I was tasked with writing copy for the conference onsite guide. I had a very busy week last week, so I had to bring the work home with me last weekend. I spent hours upon hours drafting the copy and produced what I thought was a great piece.

When I sent it to the client lead to review, he sent me an email informing me that he was "very disappointed" with what I had sent him and that there was a lot of missing or inaccurate information. For example, they added a new speaker at the conference last week (no one informed me about this), but it was suggested that I should have noticed this information on the website. He also told me that I should have come to him to ask questions about the missing information within the guide so that I could have been directed to the appropriate people (I thought that noting the questions so that we could discuss was sufficient). I feel that this was a situation where I was not given enough direction (I thought I had enough direction, but apparently, it failed to meet expectations). This email caught me completely off guard.

I take my work seriously and believe that I produce great work. I know we all make mistakes (I've made my fair share), but I hate that this casts a dark shadow on me. Worst of all, I made another mistake on this client last month (nothing major, but enough to where the client lead took notice and I had to go back and fix a few things).

I am always quick to admit my mistakes, but in this case, I didn't even realize that I had done anything wrong. I'm very frustrated and hope that this just blows over without making me appear incompetent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,564,704 times
Well, I don't know because I'm not in the client's head, but I know sometimes two different people can have two completely different perspectives. It sounds like you have/had good intentions.

I have found myself in the client's position where I'm reviewing someone's work and thinking, they should have noticed that and put two and two together, they should have been more alert and keep their brain cranking and they would have figured it out.

All I can say is I guess you'll have to be extra careful and go the extra two miles with this client in hopes that this will not happen again.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,006,629 times
I just had a similar experience. My boss was pissed off because I didn't do some things that I had no idea I was supposed to do, and then said I should have asked. But how can I ask if I don't even know there is anything to ask about? In my opinion, this is an information problem. Information if very hard to get in my department. It isn't centralized or accessible, and seems to rely on what random people remember to tell you. Most people have been around for 20+ years in the same exact position, so they "just know." I've been around a long time, but I recently changed positions, and find myself at a total loss, similar to when I started out.

In my case, I needed to file some paperwork with a certain department, and didn't do it. However, I had no idea such paperwork existed, or that it was required for a certain project. We had spoken about the project dozens of time and the boss never mentioned the paperwork. I even spoke with some other people about the project, people who knew about the paperwork, but everyone was just so sure it was common knowledge that they didn't say anything.

It's really frustrating, but it's ultimately something you just have to keep in the back of your mind at all times - what are they not telling me? And then hope you manage to talk to the right people or ask the right question next time - but it's very unfair because it means a lot of time and stress that could be better spent on other things.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Everyone makes mistakes, the important thing is that you learn from them so you can minimize the damage and reduce the odds of making them again.

In your case, I would not send anything to any client before checking their website, and then asking, "Has anything changed since we first discussed this, because I'm going to send you what I've put together in a couple of days and want to be sure I get it all right."

In the case of missing information - if you're to put together a draft of some material, it's always better to email and ask if they have information on X, Y and Z yet. Do that as you're wrapping things up so you can make the appropriate changes before sending them what you have.

Don't assume that because information is missing when you start the project, that it's okay to just ask the questions where the information should be when sending them a preliminary draft. Ask ahead of time, a day or two before sending it off to them, so you are sending them a draft that is as close to completed as possible. And that's also the reason you want to make sure you ask if anything has changed, and also check appropriate websites for changes, before sending them what you've put together.

Apologize and tell them you will check their website and check with them before sending them what you've created and then work hard to redeem yourself with this client and hopefully it will be okay.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,231,675 times
Thank you, everyone. As much as anything, it just helps to vent

I probably didn't make myself clear earlier, but the draft that was sent actually went to the client lead within my department (he asked to take a look before the draft is sent to the actual client). Fortunately, this mistake shouldn't have any serious ramifications for my company (e.g. losing the account). I think he is mad that I didn't ask the questions on the missing information ahead of time before sending my draft. Looking back, I can see why he would be frustrated, but I did not know that he had that expectation, as it was not discussed ahead of time.

Before our next project, I'll plan to set up a quick meeting so that we can talk about processes, expectations, etc. In the meanwhile, I will work extra hard to make sure that no further mistakes occur that will taint his view of my work.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:28 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Thank you, everyone. As much as anything, it just helps to vent

I probably didn't make myself clear earlier, but the draft that was sent actually went to the client lead within my department (he asked to take a look before the draft is sent to the actual client). Fortunately, this mistake shouldn't have any serious ramifications for my company (e.g. losing the account). I think he is mad that I didn't ask the questions on the missing information ahead of time before sending my draft. Looking back, I can see why he would be frustrated, but I did not know that he had that expectation, as it was not discussed ahead of time.

Before our next project, I'll plan to set up a quick meeting so that we can talk about processes, expectations, etc. In the meanwhile, I will work extra hard to make sure that no further mistakes occur that will taint his view of my work.
I think you're on the right track. Falling of the horse is common. It happens to everyone. The key is getting back on. Some folks do it better than others. That's usually what sets you apart. As many will say, you learn much more through your mistakes (of course, this doesn't mean you can just be sloppy and say you're learning ).

Also keep in mind that some folks are just difficult to please. They make it their goal to only point out the mistakes and will never give credit. Not saying this client is that way, but once you realize that about someone, some of the criticisms roll off your back easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment