Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM

133 posts, read 175,369 times

Advertisements

We recently hired a new person that appeared to be a great fit for our small office. No prior experience in our field but good education, presented herself well in the interviews and had been on her prior job for several years with increasing responsibilities.

Approximately 30 days after start date we had a presentation by AFLAC. After this she casually mentioned that she had been let go from her prior job, contractor in the mortgage industry, while she was off on medical leave. Without prompting, she stated that she has a medical condition that is painful and requires time off sometimes.

This was slightly different then what she had indicated in the interview, that she was laid off as part of a large layoff. Since there have been massive layoffs in the mortgage industry, no red flags. No mention of medical issues at all.

Now day 59 of employment, she calls in that there is a problem and she can't make it in until 12. Once she does make it in it is clear that she is in pain. The 59 day is important since insurance kicks in on day 60.

We now have the feeling that her goal is to get on our insurance, which is 100% paid and excellent, in order to get the necessary medical care. So, we expect soon to receive notice that she will need to be off for 6 weeks.

The work is very specific to our program so anyone we hire requires training. However, for the first 30-60 days, the work being performed by a new hire doesn't really help the workload due to the necessity of reviewing all the work which takes just a long as doing it yourself.

Four things to point out:
1) There are some personality conflicts with immediate supervisor who is extremely strict. However, we think this can be overcome.
2) 5 -10 minutes late on numerous occasions.
3) Very smart and confident individual that we think will make a good employee once training completed.
4) We REALLY need the help and starting over from scratch would set us even further behind in the workload.

What would you do?

Last edited by SlimMoeDee; 03-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
We recently hired a new person that appeared to be a great fit for our small office. No prior experience in our field but good education, presented herself well in the interviews and had been on her prior job for several years with increasing responsibilities.

Approximately 30 days after start date we had a presentation by AFLAC. After this she casually mentioned that she had been let go from her prior job, contractor in the mortgage industry, while she was off on medical leave. Without prompting, she stated that she has a medical condition that is painful and requires time off sometimes.

This was slightly different then what she had indicated in the interview, that she was laid off as part of a large layoff. Since there have been massive layoffs in the mortgage industry, no red flags. No mention of medical issues at all.

Now day 59 of employment, she calls in that there is a problem and she can't make it in until 12. Once she does make it in it is clear that she is in pain. The 59 day is important since insurance kicks in on day 60.

We now have the feeling that her goal is to get on our insurance, which is 100% paid and excellent, in order to get the necessary medical care. So, we expect soon to receive notice that she will need to be off for 6 weeks.

The work is very specific to our program so anyone we hire requires training. However, for the first 30-60 days, the work being performed by a new hire doesn't really help the workload due to the necessity of reviewing all the work which takes just a long as doing it yourself.

Three things to point out:
1) There are some personality conflicts with immediate supervisor who is extremely strict. However, we think this can be overcome.
3) We REALLY need the help and starting over from scratch would set us even further behind in the workload.

What would you do?

She's still in her "honeymoon period", so to speak, and already she's been late on numerous occasions and has personality conflicts with her supervisor. She also lied to you in initial interviews and then basically admitted she had a problem in a former job where there was progression with increasing responsibilities, and she was let go. So the bottom line is that she's already revealed who she is, and you know it's only going to get worse, so what is there to think about?

As for point 3, starting over from scratch will set you even further behind, but what if you get further into the year only for her to take a six week or twelve week loa? Then what? How far behind will you be then?

I'd cut my losses and start taking steps to get rid of her, while bringing someone else in to start training. You may find someone who catches on quickly and is far more responsible.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times
What would I do? Ummm, nothing. Her medical issues are not your business.

I fail to see the actual problem here. You're worried she will go out on medical leave? That would also be reason not to hire a pregnant female, or an older worker, etc. which of course is completely unacceptable hiring practice.

It doesn't seem to me that she lied about why she was let go by her former company. It sounds like she was let go of part of massive layoffs and she happened to be on medical leave at the time.

5-10 minutes late? C'mon. Now you're just reaching....

Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM

908 posts, read 960,964 times
what are your options? do you actually want to fire her b/c she "may" have some health issues? a lot of people work in order to get good health benefits. why would you see this as a negative thing?

Old 03-21-2015, 01:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post

Four things to point out:
3) Very smart and confident individual that we think will make a good employee once training completed.
4) We REALLY need the help and starting over from scratch would set us even further behind in the workload.

What would you do?

Unless you were the person that hired her(and it doesn't sound like you were)I would mind my own business.

This only becomes your concern when her situation impacts your work load, and from your post it doesn't sound like that has happened yet.

And what do you mean starting over from scratch? Surely at least 3 or 4 other people interviewed for this position, they should be contacted as they're actively looking for work, if the position opens up again.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:12 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
what are your options? do you actually want to fire her b/c she "may" have some health issues? a lot of people work in order to get good health benefits. why would you see this as a negative thing?

Exactly.
It's almost like you can't be "human" and get a job in America!

Lots of people do accept a full-time job in order to obtain health insurance. (because it's very hard in America to get a reasonable and high quality health plan without it being linked to employment.)

Old 03-21-2015, 01:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times
I agree. Unless you hired her, stay out of it.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
The other posters bring up an interesting point - especially because I did get the impression that she's part of your group, meaning in a group that ultimately reports to you.

Are you a peer or in upper management in her department?

Old 03-21-2015, 04:25 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,523 times
As someone with health issues that requires some time to tend to them, I hope people in the future won't judge me in such a way. I really like what yellowbelle stated: "It doesn't seem to me that she lied about why she was let go by her former company. It sounds like she was let go of part of massive layoffs and she happened to be on medical leave at the time."

Also, I'm just not sure if she should have mentioned her conditions in the interview.I had two jobs when I was diagnosed with mine and told my employers after being diagnosed, but I was hired already. I've heard from people now that I'm looking for a 2nd job (and something full time/entry level) that I should not disclose my health conditions in an interview. I did once before knowing. It seems like people with chronic conditions are between a rock and a hard place with disclosing.

Unless you hired her and unless it starts effecting your work, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Almost everyone relies on their employer's health insurance as that's the only way to get good coverage in America.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
If she is going to be "out for 6 weeks", then she can be fired unless your company wants to give her a leave of absence. She hasn't been employed there for 1 year so doesn't qualify for FMLA, (not even sure if your company has enough employees for FMLA anyway). So if she doesn't have sick/vacation days accrued, she can be fired for taking 6 weeks off.

But why on earth are you assuming that she is going to ask for 6 weeks off? That's a stretch. Cross that bridge if it happens. She sounds like a great employee and I doubt she's going to be asking for excessive time off.

BTW, she could have been laid off as part of a mass layoff while on FMLA. It happens. She was smart not to mention that she was on FMLA when the layoff occurred. Nobody should bring up medical issues during the interview.

If she hasn't taken any time off yet other than arriving at noon on the 59th day, that so far she seems to be a reliable employee.

You didn't mention how well she is doing at work. Is she a good worker? I assume she is else you wouldn't have mentioned that she is falling behind.

As far as the insurance...BIG DEAL. Many people get jobs for the insurance and also for the pay. This is because insurance is usually tied to employment. That's just how it is in the USA. Keep in mind though, with Obamacare, she can purchase her own insurance regardless of having a preexisting condition. Even if a top notch gold plan it's probably around $500 a month and a bronze plan can be as low as $200/month. So you think this "free" insurance is some kind of super duper thing. Yeah, it's nice. But in reality it's worth about $6000/year.

I think you are over-reaching about this person and for some odd reason you are trying to turn her into a sickly employee that takes off lots of time from work. But this isn't the case so far. Maybe once she accrues vacation time and sick time - then maybe she will start using it. But so does everyone else, right? Or do you want her working 5 days a week with no days off, ever?

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-21-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment