Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 PM

267 posts, read 305,490 times

Advertisements

How do you normally make it through your workday without storming out of the office or completely going off on someone? Are there any mental games that you play so that you keep your sanity? Do you have stress relievers that you implement while on the job? Or do you love your job so much that you never have to fight negative feelings? Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:55 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,791,894 times
I would like to know as well.

My workplace is dysfunctional.

My employer and the client that my employer signed a 15 year contract with are both dysfunctional.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,043 posts, read 82,304,253 times
Other than one or two people that I work with in other departments who can be challenging, I get along well with everyone, and find the work challenging, so never a dull moment. I look forward to going to work every morning. Difficult deadline cause some stress at time but then that's what they pay me for.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM

908 posts, read 969,046 times
i just started a new job and so far it's a very pleasant environment. i like my coworkers, esp the woman who works closest to me. the work is pretty interesting. i do take mental breaks and do things like surf the web on and off during some breaks. i did work once in a totally dysfunctional law firm where the boss was cray-cray. i lasted a year but just mostly kept to myself and did my job. if there's a particular person bothering you can you talk it out or discuss with a higher up?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,776,313 times
Well...

I go to work 1 week a month or less. I use noise canceling headphones, have my own office with a conference table, a door, a nice view, and use the door frequently to lock out others. The rest of the time I work on my deck, next to the pool, or wherever it feels best. And I never, EVER, skip a workout. EVER.

I'm not bragging either. If you don't take care of #1, someone else is just going to take the same job and take care of #1 anyway. Better you than them, don't you think?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
Storming out of the office or going off on someone would be a stupid, immature response to a situation and might indicate a need for anger management classes.

If you really feel it's the job and people you work with that are the source of your problems, look for new work, but I suspect you'll have the same complaint anywhere you go.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 PM

6,032 posts, read 6,218,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
How do you normally make it through your workday without storming out of the office or completely going off on someone? Are there any mental games that you play so that you keep your sanity? Do you have stress relievers that you implement while on the job? Or do you love your job so much that you never have to fight negative feelings? Thanks for any replies.
LOL.

Yet another thread showing the vast, VAST disparity between achievers and those living in quiet desperation here on C-D Forums, seems to me. I don't have a "job", rather a career. Going to a job is meaningless, pointless, and aggravating. A career is something one cultivates, nurtures, loves, and almost by-definition makes success easy because after a while you're just that good...because you're motivated. Or, you're world-class at what you deliver. Whatever it is.

The number of people I work with who would just "go off on someone," or even give the slightest hint they'd want to, is zero of (about) 200. The idea is absurd. The "mental game" I play is called: Prioritize, delegate, and otherwise carefully manage my time in any given week to deliver our service. I get there about 8:30am, often but not always first on the hallway, and split at about 4:45pm. Many work past 5, but not too far past. Number of toilers on the team: zero.

The days go by and are full and busy in a good way for everyone, and my team interacts will the entire org in a focussed manner (that requires a bit of improvisation) as part of our delivery: we need to see it all in-motion, from planning through delivery. I am pleasant and professional with my peers...all of them...and they with me. Without exception. Problems with that, the few that occur, are politely and professionally confronted immediately by peers, managers, and leadership. That's what professionals do, btw. The majority have Master's degrees in business, science (computer and otherwise), engineering, and similar. All are demonstrated achievers. Most, too, have relevant certifications such as PMP, CPA, MCSE, etc. depending on area of expertise.

Maybe that's the difference, what I'm missing here: everyone I work with, and the man in the mirror, values education and training that is relevant to delivering world-class products and services. There are very few grumblers. Grumbling means you're not taking steps to solve "it", whatever it happens to be. This is an environment where most are empowered to solve issues...get it done, and be innovative while you're at it.

To that end, we're all professionals. Not sure what sort of monkey house OP works in, and I'm saddened such places even exist to elicit such feelings. Senior managers are culled from those who can and will deal effectively with sometimes-significant pressure to move bits from Point A to Point B in time to satisfy engineering, marketing, and licensing needs in a multi billion dollar company. Organizational leadership and the executives have their eye on larger-scale delivery and leave the details to their senior staff. My peers and I, in turn, manage teams of perhaps three to twenty to deliver on those details. Multitaskers, the efficient, and strategic thinkers go far as long as they execute with results.

The very few whiners, shirkers, or people with "emotional problems" (e.g. thread the other day about "nervous breakdowns" and "psychotic breaks/episodes") are invited to leave, if the behavior persists beyond a reasonable threshold. They're literally lined up 150 deep out the door (OK, virtually lined up) for each open headcount to work at the firm, they tell me, because the company and others like it are demonstrably world-class and the chance to be a key part of that is a thrill ride every...single...day!

Because it was a tough January, and February is winding down after a major release cycle ending just last week, last Friday a peer snagged another from the hall after 5pm for a little R&R. She in-turn grabbed our boss and another peer. I wandered down about 5:30pm. A bottle of wine appeared, with shortbread sweets and chocolates. The GM wandered by about 6pm and we dragged her in too for a few minutes. Pretty soon it was a mini-party and we fired up some music and talked to about 7pm. We vowed to do it again, next time in my office the Friday before St. Patrick's Day in a few weeks. All that builds camaraderie and the high performance team environment we cultivate organizationally pretty carefully.

Hope that answers the (cough) question. Find help, soon.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times
I hope to have good interactions with people during the day regardless if it is five hours over 12. Seeing people with smiles on their faces, usually energizes you in ways you couldn't imagine.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 PM

366 posts, read 414,086 times
I like my job.

I have two ways to get through my day. 1) Are my customers happy? Have all they need, questions answered, support provided? And 2) Is my staff happy? Have all they need, questions answered, support provided? Only then do I worry about the corporate end of things. That's usually where any stress comes from, but in many ways I see things as challenges rather than problems. I have a great team above and below me though.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:13 PM

335 posts, read 426,507 times
Keep your emotions out of your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment