Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Do you guys even read what's posted? Show me where I said someone should work 84 hours per week.

You didn't say someone should work 84 hours per week you said:

Quote:
A balance implies equal proportions. Wouldn't a real work life balance be 84 hours work and 84 hours life? Instead of calling it a work life balance, why don't they call it what it really is? A schedule heavily weighted towards leisure time.
and people have repeatedly told you "no it wouldn't be because you're no one is awake for 168 hours a week."

Using your premise it would actually be 56:56 but most working people are already doing something pretty close to that. My wife leaves for work at 7:10am and gets home around 6:50pm so her week is more like 58:54. We live much closer to my job so for me it's more like 49:63 so I get an extra 9 hours of leisure time each week . . . if you consider shuttling kids to/from school and most other household duties "leisure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,500 times
40 hours per week of work is way too much (in my opinion). And a typical 8 hour workday is probably closer to 10 hours when you factor in time spent getting ready for work, time spent commuting to work, and then time spent commuting home from work.

It's sad that most people have to work 40+ hours a week in order to lead a decent lifestyle.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Thread reminds me of the army officer/CEO/whatever who gets asked...
So your employees are able to get everything done with just a half day?
That's right! They work 12 hour shifts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
There is this bizarre trend where people seem to take extreme pride in working as many hours as possible. Like a badge of honor. Must be an American thing and I don't get it. Do you not realize those are hours of your precious life you will never get back?

Most people want to enjoy their life and not have it pass them by as they work non-stop. They want balance. Anything more than 40 hours a week, regularly, you lose that.
Yeah... followed by how folks who work 8 hour days really end up only doing 3 to 6 hours of actual work anyways.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
A balance implies equal proportions. Wouldn't a real work life balance be 84 hours work and 84 hours life? Instead of calling it a work life balance, why don't they call it what it really is? A schedule heavily weighted towards leisure time.
8 hours for sleep, 8 hours for life, 8 hours for work. With theoretically 2 days off to rest and recover. Only this doesn't always work that way. There's stuff that can tack on hours (prepping and commute, having to stop and shop after because in this work period you've neglected yourself awhile, psychological fatigue making relaxation not be enough), and there are things that can stress you out enough that the 8 hours of rest doesn't do anything for you. To say nothing of perverse jobs where the schedule is so off, that when you get off from work, either it was 10+ hour day and you were never there to take care of actual business, or it's a split shift, meaning the time in between is technically four and four hours but "sandwiched" in such a way that you can't really do the chores you mean to.

A work-life balance is usually upset by the fact that the boss chooses the schedule, not you, and it usually doesn't work with what you actually have to do.

Also, OP is probably a CEO somewhere, and thinks ppl shouldn't have lunch breaks.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM

518 posts, read 871,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
40 hours per week of work is way too much (in my opinion). And a typical 8 hour workday is probably closer to 10 hours when you factor in time spent getting ready for work, time spent commuting to work, and then time spent commuting home from work.

It's sad that most people have to work 40+ hours a week in order to lead a decent lifestyle.
Agreed. It doesn't not matter how nice the office is, how much you like your co-workers/boss etc. It's still 8 hours that you'd rather spend elsewhere. Add to that 98% of people aren't doing anything truly meaningful in the grand scheme of society.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
After 4 years in the field in several companies Im convinced I can come in at 8, do my job, and leave by 2 if I eat my lunch at my desk. Id wouldnt be surprised if most desk jobs were the same. However for some reason were all expected to sit at our desks, working or not, waiting for this magical 5 oclock number to appear...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I worked 6 days last month, 8 in Dec, 7 month prior. I don't know how you folks do it. I make around $100k + 16% 401k match.

Yeah I could make another $30k more working 18 days a month but why?!!

It's all about living within your means to enjoy the max time you can make for yourself. Screw the corp, and the boss. You're only young once, the key is to enjoy your young age.
Your situation is very abnormal. Most people don't make $100k, nor do those who make typically work such low hours.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times
I know therotically I can do my job in half the time because I waste lot of time at work doing nonwork thing (like writing this post right now). I just wish I was discipline enough to take advantage of it instead of not working during work and then taking work home to make up for it.

Any secret tips on truly putting in 8 hours of true work, actually I will be happy putting in 6 hours of true work

Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
This is quite possible the most "special" thread on CD I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The OP obviously doesn't have common sense / thinking skills. They look at the word balance literally and anyone who disagrees is lumped into a bucket of "I guess I was right about you people".

Learn how to think logically OP and you will know what work life balance is talking about and how it relates to 40 hours per week.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
If you don't balance work and life, eventually your body will be forced to balance things out.

I've watched a co-worker the last 8 years who logged probably 40% more work hours than I do age a lot quicker than I have. The sad part is that he makes less money than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment