Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,467,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hahaha - silly people with hope! If you're not BORN with money, the odds are against you!
The majority of millionaires in this nation are self made. One third of the wealthiest people in the nation are self made and those people are Billionaires. Another third of the nations Billionaires grew up with wealth but took what they had and increased that even further. Many people that were born into wealth ended up not learning how to work and when given the keys to the family fortune ended up squandering it away. In my area a family had built this chain of eateries that had 20 units by the time the founder passed it all on to his son. Within a decade the business was gone. You can see this time and time again where those that are given a family fortune end up depleting the wealth that their parents built. Even the Koch family was concerned about this when the father left the company to his sons. He told them that he was either giving them a blessing or a curse. The Koch brothers have built the fortune well past what their father gave them. Few families keep the fortune under the wings of the family. You can look to the Ford family, the Kennedys, the Walton's as a few that have successfully passed on the family fortune. The numbers that have mishandled it outweigh the winners though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,752,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbankerman View Post
Getting rich isn't hard, you just have to be willing to accept an extremely high level of risk, and have a good amount of capital to invest.
That means that getting rich is either risky or impossible. That sounds hard to me, especially the "impossible" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There's a lot of room between "poverty" and "rich."
But even camping out in between is getting more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Given the way our economy is changing, I wouldn't put that much faith in backward-looking data.
Precisely. The nature of the economy has changed in response to the effects of globalization, productivity, and concentration of financial power.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,839,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
huh? really? Lol... I really don't want to get into a debate with defining rich. It's really to each his/her own. Sometimes rich could just be being happy without letting $ bothers you. I state the simplicity of rich is money is of no object. It may not be true to your definition of rich and I have no objection to that. If you have no problem when going to the mall, or to any place you want to shop for a "product" and don't mind about the cost of obtaining one (for the rest of your life) then to me that's rich in MONEY. If you have to contemplate on how much to spend and budget, then that's NOT rich in money, period.

aside from what I just said...I think a lot of people would rather NOT consider money as object...their money will make money and continue to have cash inflows. Don't care how they invest them, as long as money is NOT an object to them...to worry about. They are rich.
That definition is insane as I said before. There's NO SUCH THING as having an unlimited supply of money. For example, let's say I have $50 million in the bank. Let's say I want to buy a Commercial building that costs $75 million....based on YOUR definition of being able to buy "anything" I want....am I rich when there's something available that I want to buy but can't afford?

People who have to develop a budget and "think about" what they are spending are defined as NOT being rich according to you? What kind of sense are you making? So again, I have $50 million in the bank but I do as you say and never think about how much I'm spending. Before you know it, I buy about 20 $1.5 million each properties ($30 million), I buy 20 different Jaguars ($1.5 million) and I have 4 ex-wives that I SPOIL who now have divorced me and each taken $5 million upfront ($20 million) who got awarded $250,000 a year in lifetime alimony ($1 million a year).....AM I RICH ??

My point is that being rich is a very subjective term that I don't think you should be focusing on. What you should be focusing on is managing the variables I listed which keeps you in a state of being "Successful".

Old 02-24-2015, 11:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,896,500 times
The vast majority of people will never be rich, whether they are currently 10 years old or 30 or 50 or 80. That is hardly newsworthy; that's just life.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,467,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
The vast majority of people will never be rich, whether they are currently 10 years old or 30 or 50 or 80. That is hardly newsworthy; that's just life.
It has everything to do with choice and how you choose to live your life.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,453,334 times
don't you have to sell your soul to the devil to be rich anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment