Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 PM

491 posts, read 472,744 times

Advertisements

I don't have another job, so I can't quit. And that's really nice about my coworkers not liking me. Thanks.

I actually never said they didn't like me, you and another poster did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,002,322 times
jfre81"The losers in the end are the customers who expect any sort of customer service."

At a big box, I expect no service. Just have the stuff, keep prices low, and provide self-service checkouts. If I wanted more, I'd shop at a higher end store.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:54 PM

311 posts, read 479,834 times
This mythical "department 82".... is this something like "room 101"? (Reference to 1984; sorry, couldn't resist)...

You are paid by the hour, yes? And I would imagine that you don't have any real hope (or frankly, desire) to advance in your current role?

So that being the case, who really cares if you can't figure out how to arrange candy? Give it your best shot, put up with the co-workers, and go home at the end of your shift.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,537,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I don't have another job, so I can't quit. And that's really nice about my coworkers not liking me. Thanks.

I actually never said they didn't like me, you and another poster did.
Well start looking for one. You won't find one if you don't get the ball rolling.

'Wondering if others hate' me in your thread title certainly does imply that you believe they do not like you. " Nobody seems to be willing to help me out or explain. People just treat me like I'm dumb" also seems to back up that assumption. 'yet nobody listens and people still get annoyed.' right because they don't like you. People will listen to and help people they like, but you are apparently annoying to them. If you don't see the connection...

Did you visit that Reddit thread? Seems like some good info. If you didn't then you are obviously here for a good old fashion meaningless anonymous internet fight.

Since your grammar is good why not look into property management or data entry? Screw Walmart.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Really?

I'd love to hear about your time working department 82, and how you ended up doing a good job at it.

please share your story.
I already told you. I FIGURED IT OUT. It AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.

Good LORD. Don't you dare complain about how much you are paid.

Starting to think this must be a phony post.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Did you visit that Reddit thread? Seems like some good info. If you didn't then you are obviously here for a good old fashion meaningless anonymous internet fight.

Since your grammar is good why not look into property management or data entry? Screw Walmart.

Yep, and I am about a inch away from reporting this thread.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:14 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times
Quote:
Likewise.

I would love to have anyone who is criticizing me actually try to do it.

I have noticed that I have seen only a handful of cashiers actually work department 82. And believe me, I'm not lazy. I have done my best with very little explanation, training, or help. If I know where it goes, I put it there. The problem is that the entire system is just messed up.
So -- you have bare spots with no product, no tags to refer to product and you can't find product to put there?

Yeah -- that place is a mess. And I'd bet the stock in the rear is a mess, too.

Seriously. when I worked retail we had a system to allow us to find and fill. Cards were done via numbers and when A109778 sold out, you went to the drawer below and pulled out more A109778 to stock. In candy, when you ran out of chocolate turtles, there was a box of chocolate turtles to refill the tray.

Stock kept in rear was also sorted and clearly marked, because if I had to find a box a of Bohemian Crystal champagnes for a customer, I shouldn't have to sort through Lenox, Mikasa and 30 other vendors... it should clearly be in the Bohemia Crystal section.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:
I was given candy, but all the candy I was given is already filled. There's an empty candy that needs to be refilled, but it's nowhere to be found among the candy I was given.

There are some sponges/cloths/whatever and I have no idea where they go and nobody told me. The floor is a mess.

It's not just candy. It's also impulse items and I have no clue where it's supposed to go, because nobody tells me where it goes.

They get upset because for them it's easy, but I was never taught how to do it and I'm expected to just know. I'm not dumb, I just struggle with this particular aspect of my job, which actually isn't my job at all.

I was a cashier to AVOID precisely this kind of crap.

Since you've mentioned this twice now, I feel your problem is not that you don't know, but that you don't care enough to learn. Your job is to do whatever anybody senior to you tells you to do. You are not immune to any of the crappy parts of the job.

I see no reason you can't use your phone to take a picture of a good candy & impulse rack, and then figure it out on your own. You know, like at the end of the night after all the go-backs have been replaced in their proper place and someone else has done their rack the right way. Hard to believe you haven't thought of this already.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Since you've mentioned this twice now, I feel your problem is not that you don't know, but that you don't care enough to learn. Your job is to do whatever anybody senior to you tells you to do. You are not immune to any of the crappy parts of the job.

I see no reason you can't use your phone to take a picture of a good candy & impulse rack, and then figure it out on your own. You know, like at the end of the night after all the go-backs have been replaced in their proper place and someone else has done their rack the right way. Hard to believe you haven't thought of this already.
Use those critical thinking skills that a liberal arts education gives you to figure it out yourself.

Seriously, I haven't worked for Wal-Mart but worked dozens of low-skill, low-wage jobs at other retailers while in high school and college. Your job is to do what they tell you to do, even if that means retagging things as a cashier, tidying up the front end, or restocking impulse items. Most job descriptions will include "as requested by manager." I have a tough time believing that every cashier has a problem with impulse items.

It sucks that you aren't where you want to be, but if you think that all jobs don't involve doing things that you aren't trained on and require being able to figure difficult things out yourself, you are mistaken.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM

31 posts, read 34,788 times
Didn't read the other posts but who cares who hates me I'm there to do a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment