Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:38 AM

23,554 posts, read 24,064,911 times

Advertisements

Very reasonable. I've relocated a few times and always asked for 2 months before starting and it was granted. My last relocation, my new company wanted me on-board quickly, so they allowed me to work from my home office, until we could sell our home and move. It took about 2.5 months to sell our home, find a new place and then move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:45 AM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
What you stated is will within reason. The start date for my current job was almost 8 weeks from when I accepted the offer, and it was local. It's a negotiation. Most will accommodate if they can.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,667,173 times
I relocated for a job once and asked for a 6 week reporting date. But, they needed me sooner and asked if I could start sooner. I ended up with a start date that was 4 weeks out instead. So, I think your 4 to 5 week target is right on..

Old 02-17-2015, 07:24 PM

48 posts, read 75,189 times
Sounds very reasonable, and you sound very responsible talking about giving notice to finishing up your assignments. My husband was negotiating his start date last yr, he got hired in March but he started work in June... Or baby was due Apr, was our first baby, we were moving from Las Vegas to Baltimore... everyone was really understanding. They said they wouldn't want him to miss the baby's birth and first months if he wanted the time... with that being said the the company could afford him not starting until June... it's going to depend on what's going on with the company- they may be very understand or not. But to me- you come across very responsible.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I am negotiating an offer for a new job that is out of state and a little more than 200 miles away from my current location. The last part of the negotiation before accepting the offer is to agree upon a start date at the new job. I am considering asking for between 4 and 5 weeks (basically, right at a month).

My logic is that I have to give my current employer a full 2 weeks notice and finishing up my assignments there will limit how much time I can spend preparing to move to a new city & state. I figure that I would use the last 2 to 3 weeks of that timeline to do the bulk of my moving (finding a place to live, moving furniture, getting a new bank and other tasks) since I would be free of my commitment to my previous employer by then.

Does that sound reasonable to you guys? What do you think is fair when you are relocating for a new job?
It seems OK, but you and the employer both need to have some flexibility in the situation.

I once wrapped up a job in Virginia on September 1 and started a job in California on September 7. However, the organization was relocating me and put me up in a Residence Inn until my apartment was ready (they had paid for a separate home-finding trip). My new boss was accomodating in giving me a few days off after I had already started to fly back to Virginia, get my apartment packed up (which the moving company handled), etc.

Just ask them when they'd like you to start and see what you can work out. 200 miles is not very far, so you could start and do some back and forth while moving and still working. In 2011 I took a job 230 miles away and I didn't actually move until a few weeks after I started. It helped that I had family to stay with, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment