Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:50 PM

743 posts, read 838,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Interviewing for a new job is something that employed people do all the time.

$12/hour is poverty? Do you have roommates? Do you drive a paid off car? Do you cook all of your meals at home? Most anyone can make it on $12/hour if they live frugally.

If all you are finding are $12 jobs, you need to do somethiing to make yourself more valuable in the marketplace. Not working, while believing that you deserve more than the market will pay you, is not a pathway to success.
I have loans and bills to pay. My rent isn't high. But I have to replace my old pickup because the cost of repairs to keep it on the road for another year far exceeds its value. 25k after taxes ($12 hourly full time) equals around 19k. My total for everything monthly will be around 800. I'll be left with only 9k a year to pay for food, gas, etc. That's poverty living in which I couldn't even move out and get a cheap apartment for myself. I don't want to live like that. I didn't work a crap office job for over 2 years while getting a Bachelors to be as broke as a welfare recipient.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,875,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I have loans and bills to pay. My rent isn't high. But I have to replace my old pickup because the cost of repairs to keep it on the road for another year far exceeds its value. 25k after taxes ($12 hourly full time) equals around 19k. My total for everything monthly will be around 800. I'll be left with only 9k a year to pay for food, gas, etc. That's poverty living in which I couldn't even move out and get a cheap apartment for myself. I don't want to live like that. I didn't work a crap office job for over 2 years while getting a Bachelors to be as broke as a welfare recipient.
There are fields of study that would have provided opportunities for jobs starting at $50k+. Unfortunately, criminal justice isn't typically one of those fields. So now, you are going to need experience, and you will have to pay a price to get it.

And about the part in red - you are going to have to make some changes, or you may very well BE a welfare recipient. Refusing to work because you believe you are worth more is not a successful strategy.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
There are fields of study that would have provided opportunities for jobs starting at $50k+. Unfortunately, criminal justice isn't typically one of those fields. So now, you are going to need experience, and you will have to pay a price to get it.

And about the part in red - you are going to have to make some changes, or you may very well BE a welfare recipient. Refusing to work because you believe you are worth more is not a successful strategy.
The degree is mostly a regret. School officials and family somehow completely forgot to inform me of better opportunities. I was 18 when I began. I obviously didn't know how the real world worked or the true value of degrees. Once I got far enough in to realize things, financial aid was running out and I had to take what I could get.

It's crazy though how many people I know that have no education and make 50k a year or more. They all had a connection to hook them up. Now people want to give their opinions about what I should do when they haven't had to struggle like this. Everyone I know telling me to take a poverty wage would never do so themselves. If that's the life I'm destined to because I don't have a family member or friend willing to refer me like they did, then existing is almost pointless. I'm way too bright and have far more potential and dedication to my employer to be pushed into that life. I know people with felony records and no education making way more than 12 an hour. I am too smart to be just another warm body in a mindless, low paid job.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM

3,622 posts, read 3,918,421 times
Quote:
You're right that $12/hour probably isn't enough to get your own place and live a half-decent lifestyle, but if your parents are willing to house you or you have a few friends splitting a cheap place, have a degree, and no kids to take care of right now you're in a good place to set yourself up to be doing a lot better a few years down the road. Take one of the high-responsibility-low-pay jobs and you have both the chance for promotion and something strong on your resume; do nothing and you'll be in the same place except with a longer job gap on your resume in a years time.

Source: been in your shoes.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM

894 posts, read 1,058,304 times
Quote:
I didn't work a crap office job for over 2 years while getting a Bachelors to be as broke as a welfare recipient.
Actually the welfare recipient is probably making more money, lol. In my state all the freebies they get amounts to around 40k a year.

OP, I know you're frustrated, but nobody says you have to stay in the $12 an hour job forever. You can work there, get some experience and still continue to research and apply for other jobs.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,875,380 times
Quote:
The degree is mostly a regret. School officials and family somehow completely forgot to inform me of better opportunities.
It is easy to place blame on others, but the primary responsibility for your life is on you - not on parents and school officials.

Quote:
Now people want to give their opinions about what I should do when they haven't had to struggle like this. Everyone I know telling me to take a poverty wage would never do so themselves.
I think you would be surprised. I myself, and many others on CD have been poor, and have had to live very frugally. Back in the late '80's, I was married and supported a wife on two part-time jobs, paying $3.65/hr. and working about 50 hours a week. I know what it's like to be poor.

Quote:
If that's the life I'm destined to because I don't have a family member or friend willing to refer me like they did, then existing is almost pointless. I'm way too bright and have far more potential and dedication to my employer to be pushed into that life. I know people with felony records and no education making way more than 12 an hour. I am too smart to be just another warm body in a mindless, low paid job.
Believing that you are better than a $12/hr job, and refusing to work because of that belief, is just not going to result in success for you. Put in the time. Get the experience. Pay your dues. And do what's necessary to make yourself more valuable. Whining about how unfair things are won't help you.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM

3,622 posts, read 3,918,421 times
Quote:
I'm way too bright and have far more potential and dedication to my employer to be pushed into that life.
How does an potential employer know that though?

They know it because a friend or family member of yours that they trust knows it and vouches for you (i.e. through a referral) OR because you've demonstrated it at another company. How do you get a position where you can demonstrate it though -- that's a difficult, chicken-and-egg question. If you have opportunities that will give you the opportunity to do that, even with a low paycheck, take it and run with it -- right now you're turning down something people who didn't get a degree or graduated at the height of the crisis had/have to fight tooth and nail to get, and is the first rung on the ladder to success.

Living with your parents (or whatever you're doing to keep housing costs minimal) for another year or so is a small price to pay to solve your signalling problem.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It is easy to place blame on others, but the primary responsibility for your life is on you - not on parents and school officials.

I think you would be surprised. I myself, and many others on CD have been poor, and have had to live very frugally. Back in the late '80's, I was married and supported a wife on two part-time jobs, paying $3.65/hr. and working about 50 hours a week. I know what it's like to be poor.

Believing that you are better than a $12/hr job, and refusing to work because of that belief, is just not going to result in success for you. Put in the time. Get the experience. Pay your dues. And do what's necessary to make yourself more valuable. Whining about how unfair things are won't help you.
I had no clue what I wanted to do at that young of an age. Family is there to guide you. You pay a crap ton to the university for their services as well. I received neither. But enough about that. It's the past.

I worked for 8.50 an hour throughout college. I put my dues in. I've lived like a peasant my entire life. Sitting at the grocery store staring at a 2 dollar item wondering if I can really afford to do that right now. Eating from the value menu and declining invites to restaurants because I can't afford it. I DO deserve better. All I need is a chance. I have a perfectly clean background history, work experience, and a 4 year degree. I deserve better than this. If asking for an opportunity to actually succeed and make more than welfare is being entitled, then I guess I'm guilty.

Yet everyone else I know is making a very good living because their buddy referred them. They didn't have skills or an education. Guess I should have sucked up to more people since that's the sure fire way to success around here.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:38 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,193,076 times
Are you working in a large metro? Clerks can make $12/hr in big cities. Have you been applying in other cities? It could be an hour away.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 PM

639 posts, read 1,975,718 times
The "low teens" can't be a salary. It's illegal to pay a salaried employee less than $23,600.

If you graduated within the last year, $12 an hour to start is very normal. I know a lot of college grads that would be glad to make that much. I do agree the job you are looking at, offering near minimum wage with a ton of responsibility and travel is ridiculous by any standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment