Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,038,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hols36 View Post
Apparently my coworker is out to get me. Unfortunately, she has the ear of the top person in Human Resources. She has made sure she is "in good" with this person by becoming her friend, by serving her coffee and getting her lunches. She's a bit of a human mess, makes lots of mistakes, etc., but that is how she survives, by sucking up to the top people. And I have to hand it to her, she is very good at it.

I found out recently that she wrote a scathing email to the head of HR, telling her that I was costing the company time and money and that she just "had" to speak up about it, etc. Well, I knew she didn't like me (because I called her out on her hour and a half lunches?) but what she said was just shocking. Worse, almost none of it was true. Her email was filled with lies.

Further, based on something said in the email (that I was not supposed to see) apparently this is not the first time she has bad mouthed me to the top people.

I am still kind of reeling from the pure evilness of it all.

It gets worse: The HR person then "offered" or "asked" (I am not sure which) if she (my coworker) would mind if she forwarded her email to the company owner and one other top person there. Of course my coworker generously said "why yes". Share my email with them.

Now that I know this, I know that I have no future at this company, in spite of all my best efforts and long hours and hard work. There is just no point. My coworker is a jerk, and pure evil, that much is clear.

But here's my question. Can I sue her? She has destroyed my reputation at that company.

I don't think they will fire me, because one person there is protecting me, but she absolutely has done a hatchet job on my reputation in every way possible. And apparently she has been doing this for awhile now. I would love to teach her a lesson, because it's evil.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and attempted to address it legally in small claims court, for example?
"Almost" none of it was true. So, some of it was.

You weren't supposed to see the email, yet you did.

Anyone can sue anyone else. Winning that suit is another matter. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,553,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You weren't supposed to see the email, yet you did...

I noticed that the OP hasnt come back to this thread. Her posts in other threads show that she's had problems at other companies too. Sometimes people need to learn from their mistakes.

The fact that the OP admits to having complained to her co-worker about the co-worker's lunch hours, when she had no reason to do so, is a hint that she may have made other insulting or irritating comments to that person -- and then she wonders why that person is reporting her indiscretions and errors to HR?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,540,064 times
Quote:

But here's my question. Can I sue her? She has destroyed my reputation at that company.

I don't think they will fire me, because one person there is protecting me, but she absolutely has done a hatchet job on my reputation in every way possible. And apparently she has been doing this for awhile now. I would love to teach her a lesson, because it's evil.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and attempted to address it legally in small claims court, for example?
Seems like it would be wasted time and energy considering that you've already concluded that you have no future at the company. What would be more productive is for you to have a discussion of the matter with HR and the company owner.

[maybe they are on your side]

Old 02-03-2015, 12:02 PM

734 posts, read 1,089,436 times
You should have never called her out on her lunches. Are you her boss? Or are you one of those brown nosing people who run and tell everything they see? Just go to work and mind your own business. She would have gotten caught eventually. Now you have a hostile work environment. You caused all of this trouble and for what?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,659,492 times
Quote:
Well, I knew she didn't like me (because I called her out on her hour and a half lunches?) but what she said was just shocking. Worse, almost none of it was true. Her email was filled with lies.
This is the best part of the OP. So, which parts were true?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,782,937 times
What would have solved your problem in the first place would have been to mind your own business. What she does with her time isn't your concern. If you're a great employee, then that should overshadow everything she's said about you.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:52 PM

79 posts, read 226,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You can sue anyone. Probably won't win tho.

How old are you? This who thing seems really child is. "I want to destroy her reputation". Come on. Be the bigger person. Find a new job and move on.
You must be responding to someone else's post, because I never said I wanted to destroy anyone's reputation. It was my coworker who wrote that email, savaging me and my work, and her claims were completely unfounded. I was later told that management knew what she said was not true, but still, they like her so tried to appease her by "listening" when she complained. Eventually, things came to a head and they told her she had to knock it off. I am actively looking for another job (for this and other reasons), and I will find something else and move on, but the fact is, I was highly regarded there until getting embroiled in this nonsense. Which is unfortunate, because I was on very good terms with the individual I work for. I think it was just jealousy on her part.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
AS said you can sue anyone for anything, whether you gain anything is another matter.

EVERYONE I know at work KNOWS I believe they don't pay me to pay any attention to what any other employee does except for a few detailed things.

IF nothing this person says is true don't you think management will knows this and not just take her word for it?

Coming for an outsider ... Do your job and pay no attention to the politics, if administration is doing THEIR job they know what's what..

Well, eventually they gave your advice to my coworker (and told her to stop paying attention to whatIam doing). Part of the problem was management. HR did not know how to handle her. Just went from bad to worse until someone FINALLY realized they need to tell her "enough's enough".

Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

You weren't supposed to see the email, yet you did.

Anyone can sue anyone else. Winning that suit is another matter. Good luck with that.

Give 'em and inch and they'll take a mile, isn't that the expression? Let me rephrase, NONE of what she said was true and I could prove it. You need not concern yourself with how I came across that email; it was completely legitimate and happened during the performance of my duties at work. Nothing weird or sneaky going on, at least by me! I actually think I could have a good case for defamation or hostile work environment, and yes, people have won defamation in local courts in my area. I've decided to resolve this by looking for another job.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I noticed that the OP hasnt come back to this thread. Her posts in other threads show that she's had problems at other companies too. Sometimes people need to learn from their mistakes.

The fact that the OP admits to having complained to her co-worker about the co-worker's lunch hours, when she had no reason to do so, is a hint that she may have made other insulting or irritating comments to that person -- and then she wonders why that person is reporting her indiscretions and errors to HR?

Yes, I agree, my coworker needs to learn that she can't run around gossiping and sabotaging other's work willy nilly. She's also learned the importance of showing up to work on time, leaving for lunch on time, and returning on time. Having predictable routines prevents chaos in the workplace, wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment