Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,259,164 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience fundraising for a non-profit? Is the work quota based like sales? Do they have a high turnover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,776,601 times
Every non-profit is different. What position are you looking for? I have worked for a couple. I found that most people where I worked were lifers. They would move around the organization in different positions, but loved the mission and goals. There were quotas for people to fund-raise, but nothing unrealistic.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,839,246 times
Volunteered a bit. I think the strongest difference is belief in the mission statement. Keep that in mind as it differs from the private sector that way. If you have beliefs that differ from it then that might be deterrent but there is something to be said when people pretty much don't feel like leaving work or shriek at overtime.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,259,164 times
This is a field I'm considering so I don't have a specific position in mind. I wondered if fundraising for a non-profit were similar to being a salesperson. Because a salesperson is often let go for not meeting a quota. I try to avoid quota based jobs because I would feel like I'm a rented-employee and not an official employee.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:45 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,297,067 times
I've found them pretty similar for the most part. Just different mission statements and slightly lower pay. (Sometimes a lot lower pay.)

Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 AM

51,663 posts, read 25,896,174 times
Fund raising is friend raising. Often fundraisers are expected to bring in 10 times their salary as well as create a network of supporters.

One of the best fundraising/friend raising examples I can think of right now is BlinkNow.org. A home for orphans, school, women's center, demonstration project for sustainable living and I don't know what all in Nepal.

Maggie Doyne co-founded it with Top Malla. Inspiring story that continues to grow and develop.

If you are considering a career in the non-profit world, I would encourage you to find your passion, connect with those who are pursuing a mission you can get behind, and go for it.

Raising money for a cause you only sort of believe in is a tedious waste of your precious life.

Follow your passion.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 AM

406 posts, read 560,330 times
This all varies on the non-profit, their culture, how much money they have, and the individual department you work for.

As the primary goal is to break even, many non-profits may always be strapped for cash. Some have incredibly generous grants and donors which make this not the case. In my non-profit, we are required to keep billions in reserves (insurance industry). Smart investing on that money always puts up WAY ahead, even after breaking even.

Make sure to do your research.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:19 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,160,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
This is a field I'm considering so I don't have a specific position in mind. I wondered if fundraising for a non-profit were similar to being a salesperson. Because a salesperson is often let go for not meeting a quota. I try to avoid quota based jobs because I would feel like I'm a rented-employee and not an official employee.
Yes, I have worked in fundraising at the director level for several national and regional non-profits. Some organizations treat it almost exactly like a sales job. Others are not that high-functioning. I can tell you, with most organizations the pressure is always on to meet goals and it is highly stressful. With well-managed non-profits in good financial positions, it is not as severe -- but for many, their very existence relies on your abiity to produce revenue. And while you may be in the best position to help establish annual goals, you rarely have the opportunity to provide input. Often you are saddled with a goal that is simply unrealistic.

I got out about a year and a half ago and plan never to fundraise for a living again. One silver lining: development staff are often paid more than their colleagues in other departments because they produce revenue.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:32 PM

587 posts, read 917,308 times
If I had a choice between sales and fundraising, I would go for sales - at least you get a commission.

Some organizations have quotas, some don't. If the organization is depending on you to bring in money in order to pay salaries and run programs, then you don't really need a quota to feel stressed.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Depends on the organization and the model. Some places are grant writing focused, others are major donor model focused. Generally you need results. How they do that varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment