Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM

12,339 posts, read 17,263,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
OP - Have you been able to move out of the shelter? Or are you still commuting from it to work every day?
I too am wondering about this. I have been following his story and really want this guy to win.

Update for us Mr. 2089?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,880,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
There's a big difference between sugar coating the truth and outright lying. Lots of people do the former, not so many are okay with the latter. Which are you talking about?
I'm perfectly fine with doing the latter. That's why I'll never live under a bridge.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,835,868 times
I don't lie because I'm bad at it. I can't even fake confidence or being sociable. I wish I was good at lying. Maybe I wouldn't be such a loser if I wasn't so honest.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 18,026,057 times
I KNEW there was another thread with this same subject.

I just didn't realize it was THE SAME PERSON.

DUDE.

You're all over the place. Get some actual professional counseling. At age 25 you have a LONG LIFE ahead of yourself to waste it debating on every single topic you can think of and sabotaging yourself over and over. You're the one in a shelter, right? So alot of good all these straw men baseless opinions have done you.

OH and my advise is do NOT try and be a BS'er. You're not very good at it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...bs-my-way.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I've been close to being fired a few times but my bosses liked me so much they couldn't do it lol It sucks for you but just keep your head up you'll bounce back.

Quote:
Last week worked 5 hours and quit. Somehow made $82. Pay was $9.50/hour.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post37588522

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...eople-get.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post37080766

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...t-im-done.html

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,739,935 times
OP at some point you're going to have to gain experience and earn your place in a company. You're looking for an elevator to the top, but unfortunately there just isn't one. At 25 you haven't figured this out. My suggestion is to MEET (not talk to folks on here) people who have tried this method and gather some data. You're going to find out that more times than not the folks on here who tell you that it's normal and acceptable to lie your way to the top are lying to you (big surprise).

You'll get it from working hard. That's it. And most of those who say this isn't true are those who believe that everyone who moves up the ladder is either a brown-noser, a friend of management, etc.... More times than not it came from hard work.

No job is going to give you what you're looking for (satisfaction in your life). It's a state of mind that unfortunately many at 25 lack the experience to hold. You need to get your situation worked out in your personal life before you'll be content working in a job.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 AM

3,537 posts, read 7,838,412 times
Quote:
Anyone done/doing this? I usually listen to my conscience but so far that has left me unemployed. I'll about sell my soul at this point for a job lol. I guess its time to realize that everyone lies and if I can't beat em' might as well join them.
My sister did this, she claimed she had experience working on Microsoft Access she didn't have, and they hired her. Her first day was tough, steep learning curve, but she was able to learn enough about the program to get through the first day. After a week she was pretty good with the program.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,739,935 times
Faking your expertise at a software program is a little different than lying about having experience in a role. Using Access may be a tool used in that role, but if you can use the other tools well you may get by enough to survive until you learn the ropes. But if you lie about being a finance analyst for instance, and suddenly you can't use any of the necessary tools or perform the necessary functions, chances are it will show very quickly and you won't make it.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 PM

659 posts, read 947,049 times
I've never BSed my way into a good job. I embellished a little, rather, I gave myself a little too much credit. That helped me out in getting more and more interviews.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM

820 posts, read 1,216,027 times
Any good job will require skills that are assessed during the interview stage

Old 01-13-2015, 06:50 PM

833 posts, read 1,208,010 times
Quote:
Anyone done/doing this? I usually listen to my conscience but so far that has left me unemployed. I'll about sell my soul at this point for a job lol. I guess its time to realize that everyone lies and if I can't beat em' might as well join them.
I know I did

Only BS about skills that you can back up and you're ok. If you wont do it, someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment