Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 04:27 PM

532 posts, read 958,803 times

Advertisements

So this is the time of year my company makes any changes -- restructuring, reorganizations, layoffs, openings, closings., etc.

The e-mail from the CEO came in today and it alluded to changes that might or might not mean people who have my job (we are a national company) would be laid off. It was not specific beyond that. However, I am a huge worrier and this is enough to set me off.

My Manager has been out with a family emergency so couldn't ask her, I e-mailed a higher level manager who said lots of announcements had been made but nothing about individual offices. But she would check and let me know.

In the meantime due to my worrying, I texted my boss who said not to worry my position was safe -- however, this is based on her personal opinion of me and the work that I do, not from any official word.

A couple of hours later my boss's boss who is very high up and the final word for offices in my state sent me an e-mail assuring me that my office and my job were not part of any changes...and then added as of today.

Now I'm worrying again, even though my boss still said not to.

Now, was that just a poor choice of words, or is he saying, however, don't get too comfortable, you never know what tomorrow may bring.

The company I work for does not do layoffs any other time of the year but now, so I'm not worried about the budget, I have zero write ups, zero warnings, nothing negative.

As we all well know it's hard to know tones and intent of messages in e-mail, some people come off differently than they are. (I had a boss at a prior company that would send e-mails in a very accusatory tone, but when I would talk to her about it, she didn't mean for it to come out that way at all, this is not someone I e-mail with, well, basically ever, so I don't know his style.

So, in your OPINION (since obviously you can't crawl inside his head), am I reading to much into it....or not?

My boss did say she would delve into it further when she returns, which is another week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
I read it to mean, 'subject to change'. That may just mean he doesn't want to be held accountable for giving you a definitive no, when other circumstances may, in time, change the plan in place today.

Nobody is guaranteed they'll have their job three months out, six months out, etc. All you can do is be happy there are no plans in place to close your office today, and hope for the best tomorrow.

Worrying doesn't change things, it only makes things worst.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:48 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
This is one of those times you have to keep it close to the vest. You already did the right thing in reaching out to your immediate superiors. They like you. That means that, if and when their superiors asked them for candidates, they probably didn't put forward your name.

You've got a good handle on everything that's within your control. Don't try to over-control the things that aren't controllable anyway: it'll just drive you crazy and your coworkers will notice. If you're cut anyway despite good reviews, then the business ain't doin so well and better you get out now with unemployment and/or severance than stick around until the paychecks stop coming.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 PM

532 posts, read 958,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
This is one of those times you have to keep it close to the vest. You already did the right thing in reaching out to your immediate superiors. They like you. That means that, if and when their superiors asked them for candidates, they probably didn't put forward your name.

You've got a good handle on everything that's within your control. Don't try to over-control the things that aren't controllable anyway: it'll just drive you crazy and your coworkers will notice. If you're cut anyway despite good reviews, then the business ain't doin so well and better you get out now with unemployment and/or severance than stick around until the paychecks stop coming.
Thank you, good advice. Let me clarify a few things.

I am the only employee at my office that is not only trained to do what I do, but does it. This is not to say in any way that someone else can't be trained to do the same job (it's not brain surgery), but if I go, who does the work? My boss is not trained in it and has plenty of her own work to do.

No worry about the paychecks -- luckily -- this is a national billion dollar company (a name everyone knows). They are trying to stay competitive and that means restructure & reorganization but money is not a problem.

But your answer helped my nerves!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
That final line was a CYA thing, plans can change and no boss wants to deal with the fallout of things that they have no control over.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:07 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
I wouldn't worry about it per se. You can't control that anyway.

Going forward, do the best you can, be ready to be let go at any time anyway.
Have as much of an emergency fund if you can. And live your life. Control what you can control, and let the rest go.

Maybe they would tell you if layoffs were coming, maybe they wouldn't. a manager's loyalty is to the company not you. On some things I personally wouldn't trust management as far as I can spit. And things can change anyway.

Look at how many managers hire someone and two months later the company or that office closes.....now you mean to tell me SOMone, SOME where didn't know that was coming. Maybe the person who did the hiring didn't know, but SOMEone higher up did.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post

A couple of hours later my boss's boss who is very high up and the final word for offices in my state sent me an e-mail assuring me that my office and my job were not part of any changes...and then added as of today.

Now I'm worrying again, even though my boss still said not to.

That applies to everything. The best you can do is maintain a positive attitude, continue to work hard, and remain committed to your work. Hopefully, your supervisors (and in turn corporate HQ) will recognize this and you'll avoid the cut.

[and if not, then it is what it is]

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM

587 posts, read 915,614 times
I wouldn't worry, but I'd be actively setting myself up to change course in mid-stream. Start networking now, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment